Normal oil pressure?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Hi folks, I have fitted an oil pressure and temperature gauge. I cannot find what the nominal idle oil pressure should be. I'm seeing 21psi at idle when hot.

The internet has no useful info for me - different engines seem to have wildly varying minimum idle oil pressures. I found some info on the 6G72 which says 11psi at idle being normal. It seems to be the best info out there.

Does anyone know? It's not in the service manual either.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Update: 21psi is normal according to other users. If I find an official reference for that I will update this thread.

For reference this reading was when using Penrite 5w30 full synthetic oil.

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
My gauge regularly sets off the warning light at idle. But comes up as soon as its revving. Below 15psi at idle.

slickd1

Wizard
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matthew Dundon
Drive
1998 EC5W Manual Legnum.
What viscosity oil are you using?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
Sounds normal. What's it max?
Dunno yet haven't driven it since fitting the gauge. Had to change a mate's tyres on his CBR 1000.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
OK @jungle the max pressure is 100psi cold revving, with about 85psi at 6,000rpm when hot, and 58psi when cruising in 5th on the freeway. Idle pressure when hot after some boost runs is about 15-16psi.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
Premium Member
First Name
Ed
Drive
@Pantera6 stated his oil pressures are 36psi at idle when hot, but otherwise his pressures look the same as mine (100psi cold high idle, 58psi cruising).

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
OK @jungle the max pressure is 100psi cold revving, with about 85psi at 6,000rpm when hot, and 58psi when cruising in 5th on the freeway. Idle pressure when hot after some boost runs is about 15-16psi.
Nice. They are similar to my track car - different engine but regardless oil pumps do the same thing.
I'd wouldn't be concerned with any of those.

Top Bottom