The Intercooler Thread

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
Cheers Simon! They're the kind of things I was thinking to do myself :) I dont think I'll be chasing the big power route. I'd be very happy with 200 at the wheels :)

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Yeah great info Simon, bring it on.

I had a look at that skyline australia thread that was linked, My God, they're really on to it in terms of mods. There were a lot of guys getting 250-300rwkw and very quick 1/4 mile times. They had induction mods like you listed (filter, full exhaust, intercooler etc) and also most of them seemed to have changd their injectors, ecu, and fuel pump also. Oh and the high flow turbo bit.

Seems we've got a bit of catching up to do.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Yeah great info Simon, bring it on.

I had a look at that skyline australia thread that was linked, My God, they're really on to it in terms of mods. There were a lot of guys getting 250-300rwkw and very quick 1/4 mile times. They had induction mods like you listed (filter, full exhaust, intercooler etc) and also most of them seemed to have changd their injectors, emc, and fuel pump also. Oh and the high flow turbo bit.

Seems we've got a bit of catching up to do.

I wouldn't say catching up, just learning in general.

There's a lot to consider, much more than the few basic things i listed. Hope you got some benefit out of their information:)

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
Went to panels beaters today to check up on me car and the front of it was off, so had a look at the intercooler etc, and seeing the power steering cooling pipe thats runs infront of the factory cooler made me think what do you do with it when you replace the intercooler to a after market job? you won't want to keep it in front of your nice cooler, so what have people done that have already change the cooler?

cam1754

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
cameron
Drive
1996 galant vr4
im curious as to where one would track down an intercooler thats 600x260x75.
260 is a very unusual size so i decided to just get a 300 and see if i could make it fit. i fitted the 600x300 on last week very easily.had to make some custom brackets up but no biggie,it slightly sits on an angle back but the front steel bar did not need cutting nor did anything else.

First Name
ivan
Drive
Prado...
Intercooler

600x260x76, that's will be from the FMIC of the WRX GDB. I have several and will be something I will explore real soon.....keep you updated....

picture of the kit with 600x260x76mm

soon, ivan

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the Japanese name Reganamu comes from the latin prefix of Reg- which means king (ie regicide and regal are two words that come from that in english)

but the Japanese can't do R's very well so the english ends up being Leg (well lets be honest, they tend to have difficulties saying L as well :))

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
i took my car downt to a shop today to find out if they can work on my car(and they can) and the mechanic had a look over my car and i was telling him about the intercooler kits being made atm.

he was saying it probly isnt worth spending so much money when i could keep he hard parts of the piping and only replace the soft parts with silicon

wat do yous reckon,or is it just better value buying these kits

G

Unregistered
personal preferance,

you can get premade kits to do either,
personally i like shiney stuff and big intercoolers,
so id go for the full hard pipe kit and cooler,

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Silicon will still collapse though when you lift off the throttle and there is vacuum in the system. Not convinced it is the best idea

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i took my car downt to a shop today to find out if they can work on my car(and they can) and the mechanic had a look over my car and i was telling him about the intercooler kits being made atm.

he was saying it probly isnt worth spending so much money when i could keep he hard parts of the piping and only replace the soft parts with silicon

wat do yous reckon,or is it just better value buying these kits

replacing the oem suckie hoses with silicon hoses are great but replacing it with hard pipe is even better..

if you use silicon hoses (normal silicon hoses & joiners) they'll eventually degrade.. not in the next 2-5 years anyway, ask Just_Plain_Nuts about silicon hoses.. that's what he's done to his car.. but if you were to buy silicon hoses with spring reinforcement inside it.. either way you go for.. it will definitely outperform the oem hoses..

G

Unregistered
replacing the oem suckie hoses with silicon hoses are great but replacing it with hard pipe is even better..

Hehe... be careful though... the soft pipes are there for a reason... When you hear your turbos breathing with a hard pipe kit - you'll know what I mean ;).

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
Hehe... be careful though... the soft pipes are there for a reason... When you hear your turbos breathing with a hard pipe kit - you'll know what I mean ;).

well im stumped then

Top Bottom