The Intercooler Thread

G

Unregistered
i thought moveing it behind would be the best option but i wasn't sure if would get enough air flow but i guess it will only get hot when your on full lock or doing slow sharp turns

G

Unregistered
Hey do any of you have the front impact bar modified?? mine has been done it has a piece about 25mm by 250mm wide cut out with a plate welded on.
Im guessing its to get more flow going to the intercooler, any ideas why it would have been done??

G

Unregistered
this is it circled

Attachments

• Copy of P1210006.JPG
    Copy of P1210006.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 244

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
last night, i had a look at VR4Rocket's (Kevin) Intercooler install.. it is definitely 600x300x76 it seems like it's kinda tilted back at the top.. so it fits without cutting or touching the crash bar..

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
Just adding to the intercooler thread...how difficult would it be to put an evo cooler in a legnum VR4? And would it be worth it?

G

Unregistered
An evo one would probably be fine they are pretty decent factory. But probably not the cheapest. When I went to Chiptorque for the computer I asked them for advice on the piping and intercooler and he told me not to go with a 600 x 300 x 75 because it is too long. He said I should not go for anything bigger than a 450 or 500 x 300 x75 because there is too much pressure drop across it, Pressure drop = winding up the boost to keep the same pressure = more heat developed therefore cancelling the gain that you are trying to achieve in the first place. I asked about going thicker like 100mm but he said that they normally suffer from heatsoak where it cant cool itself properly because of its width. He also said to stay away from the cheap imported ones because the internal construction is poor and usually uses fine fins which turbulate the air and reduce flow. And he said to go for a tube and fin type. He said the bar and plate ones are only effective for huge boost applications as are the big intercoolers. So all in all he recommends to use a smaller tube and fin intercooler for moderate boost and daily driving applications and if you want big boost ( over 20 ) and do a lot of racing and track events then go to a bigger bar and plate one. Thats what Chiptorque reckons anyway they have been producing high quality performance cars as long as I can remember and I trust their opinion. I ended up getting a 400 x 300 x75 from PWR I looked inside the core and was impressed with the workmanship and quality of the core.

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
hi Ben what they told you is part correct. A larger intercooler will create more pressure drop as it cools the air more than a small one. Think of a box of air at 60 degrees then that same box with the same amount of air at 30 degrees will only be 3/4 full. This compressing of air causes the drop. The most effecient intercooler is long, high and thin. You are better off getting a 600 X300 X70 core than a 500 X 300 X100 as its surface area that removes heat the best. The pressur drop accross good 600 cores is usually around .2 psi at 14psi. Tube and fin cores have better flow characteristics than bar and plate but bar and plate will cool better especially in high boost situations. So at the end of the day pressure drop will be more on a larger cooler but thats its job to cool the air just force more air faster to get around it.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Hi guys, rather than spread someones thoughts or opions, i suggest the lot of you go and read up on intercoolers here

www.are.com.au

Richard has been producing intercoolers/radiators/oil coolers for years and has a alot of actual information, not myths perpetuated by people on websites passing on what they think is the truth and factual information, but is rather absoute crap, because someones sisters brothers girlfirend, knows this guy who know this girl, who heard someone metion something about an intercooler.

Go to the site and read it, he explains how they work, the difference between bar and plate/tube and fin applications and the number of different cores available abd everytthing else you didn't even cosider.

Yes, ARE stuff will be considered by many of you to be expensive and to and extent it is, however, until you realise what you don't know about intercoolers, you'll reliase what makes an intercooler a "good" one and sometimes you do have to pay to get good quality stuff.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Guys, I've just been searching around rhdjapan.com and I can't quite figure out the differences between the greddy spec V and the spec R, besides cost.

Which one is more suited to a 14psi application? I doubt I'll end up running more than that.

Cheers.

G

Unregistered
the r-spec is 600x248x76
the v-spec is 600x194x76
and usually the r-spec is polished end tanks aswell as polished piping.

you probably only need the v-spec.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Right! Cheers...I couldn't find size details on the yahoo auctions site...I should've googled...I fail lol

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hi guys, rather than spread someones thoughts or opions, i suggest the lot of you go and read up on intercoolers here

www.are.com.au
Simon I printed their article out and read it last night - fantastic reference and great place for cooling applications. I'll definitely be giving them a call in a few months :)

Top Bottom