Towbar - group buy

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
Interested, depending on price and galant option also.

If its anything like the details in the first post I should be good for a standard one
Quoting first post:
Two main options: Standard towbar (tongue) can give a load rating of between 1000-1200kg and they don't need to cut out a piece of yr back bumper (they actually do, but it is underneath, would be a small piece, basically unnoticeable - could push for no cutting at all, that would lower the towbar slightly affecting back ground clearance - my hunch is there are plenty of other things that will scrape first. I don't know how that would impact lowered cars.

And heavy duty, the square one that they would push out through the bumper, that u would always see - 1600-1800kg. Again could put it underneath the bumper, but would lose too much in clearance imho.

Hopefully cost could be similar as the initial group buy Costs: $440 standard, $700 HD

Let us know what you can manage and if anyone can confirm fitment to a galant that would be good.

Blue legnum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joe
Drive
2013 Suzuki Swift Sport , 65 Mustang 351w
Hi Guys
I'm in Victoria & need a towbar for my Leggs ASAP... But depends on the cost of towbar & post??? Don't really want the rear bar hacked though!!! Are the magna ones the same for the sedan & wagons... I would imagine they would have to be the AWD version though???
Are they easy to install & would they fit to existing chassis points & rear bar mounting points??
Cheers

jomz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Joe
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum White!!
Interested! but depending on price also. (Legnum):cool:

aaron68nz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Aaron
Drive
2001 Legnum series 3 manual
On the topic of functional ad ons does anybody know if there is a type of roof rack that doesn't need to have a metal retaining strap tucking under the top of the doors (when closed)? I've seen some that seem to attach under the black plastic gutter strip which seems to me a tidier way to attach them if possible.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Sorry man, but I want to keep this on topic. Feel free to start a new thread. does anyone have access to an original Legnum/Galant sales brochure? It may have the tow capacity on there.

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
Sorry man, but I want to keep this on topic. Feel free to start a new thread. does anyone have access to an original Legnum/Galant sales brochure? It may have the tow capacity on there.

Jon, found a UK brochure on the interwebs. Has a vr-4 option on there and states the following:

Towing capacity, braked 1575kg

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
lol thats not that much really when you factor in the weight of a decent braked trailer. But running errands with a small single axle trailer, you'd be right

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
For comparison, I found a TJ AWD magna brochure and checked the towing capacity for that car:

Total trailer mass 1500kg

So 1575kgs isn't too bad but if you are looking for something to tow a heap of weight you import a Dodge Ram
VR-4 should provide enough to move general things around as long as the UK specs are correct.

Edit: Went through the magna spec from the '96 TE magna till the 380
All magnas are 1500kg, the 380 though is 1600kg

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
That's all the info I need. SICK, heavy duty tow bar for legnum! Now just to get massively stiff rear shocks. So if I ring up tomorrow to get book in for Wednesday, who else is keen if I can get the normal tow bars down to the original price range? I don't see fitting to a galant as being a problem.

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Thread mine...

Did anyone ever chase up possibility or price for a towbar for a Galant?

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
Bill, I had one fitted to my Galant 2 weeks ago at Allins on Richmond road.
Only light duty though 750kg, plug in the boot.
Turned out real well, looks great, no cutting of spoiler, flat removable tongue, custom made.
Halls weren't interested "tough job, fully tested, a whole day $1200". Hayman don't do them.
Allins were really good. Circa $650-700
i asked if i could put up on a forum but he shyed away a bit and said "ah special price, the boss isn't here...."
Maybe give em a call and see if they're interested in doing more?

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Hmm, slightly steep given the legnum towbar mentioned earlier in this thread is ~$400 and tow capacity of over 1000kg.

The mounting/holes in the chassis rail exist in the galant - and would have the be identical to the legnum - given i reckon the chassis is the same width.

I might give Allins a call see what they can do. Anyone else potentially interested if i mentioned there might be a few more people? (either galant or legnum)

Frenche

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4
1988 Mazda MX-6 Turbo
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
potentially interested here for legnum

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
So has anyone got a nice 'hidden' towbar that the tongue can be removed and doesn't cut into a PFL rear bar?
My boss had a towbar fitted by the dealer he bought his Legnum from and they hacked up his rear bar something chronic....

I want a nice neat towbar(in Sydney pref) as I'm looking To get one of those motorbike towbar racks (or a small trailer)
Doubt I'd ever tow anything more than the motorbike

Top Bottom