100,00Km service report

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Hi Guys,

Just did the major service on my car this week and thought I would report my experiences and findings.

First off, the parts I used were as per specified in other threads in this forum, particularly Cyber Scriber's service guides:

From Ralliart NZ:

6 x Spark plug donuts (gaskets) - part MD178940

2 x Rocker cover gasket - MD174560

18 x Rocker cover washer seal - MD327253

PCV valve gasket - MD179909

Thermostat - MD175746 or MD337408

Crankshaft oil seal (cambelt side) - MD168055

Rear main engine seal - MD359158

4 x Front camshaft oil seal - MD153103 or MD372536

4 x Rear camshaft oil seal - MD180402 or MD133317

Timing Belt - MD318814

Timing Belt Tensioner Adjuster - MD308593

Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley - MD316826

Timing Belt Idler Pulley - MD179597

Timing Belt Tensioner Arm - MD318809

From www.performancelub.com:

6 x NGK BKR7EIX spark plugs

2 x AMSoil SVG 75w90 diff and transfer case fluid

1 x AMSoil ATF SPIII

From Autobarn and Supercheap Auto:

Castrol Edge Sport 5w30 engine oil

3 x Castrol VMX Syntrans 75w85 GL4

Ryco Z142A oil filter

NTK O2 sensor OZA116-M8[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Tectalloy 50% glycol radiator coolant

Castrol Super Dot 4 brake fluid

From Ebay:

K&N 33-2794 Panel Filter

From ICE Ignition:
ICE Ignition leads

From Meek Automotive:
Aftermarket Water pump (brand unknown but bought off their website)

All up, the above materials cost me roughly 1.7K

Aside from the cambelt change and replacement of seals/gaskets and changing all fluids, I had the additional servicing done:

Full electrical and charging system check

Check fuel lines and connections

Check suspension, bushes and boots and apply grease

Check all hoses and belts

Check axles, gaitors

Check wheel bearings

Check engine mounts

I know you guys think the world of Meek, but its way too far for me to go. Quite a few friends of mine speak very highly of Indy from IS Motor Racing. I called him the other day and asked him what he knew about our cars. It appears he does have some detailed knowledge of them, so I brought my car in for him to take a look. After initial discussion with him, I was under the impression that he knew what he was doing and booked my car in to get the service done.

The entire job took 3 days and the final invoice he charged $1280.00 for all labour and materials.

Basically the timing belt change and fluid flush cost me $700.00

Full mechanical inspection and other service work cost me $430.00

He found that my rear camshaft seals were still in good condition so he didn't have those replaced. Ditto for the timing belt tensioner arm. So these I have spare and can sell them at cost to whoever wants them.

What was not done were the fuel filters which apparently neither he nor Mitsubishi had stock, so I will either get him to order them and bring the car in when he has them, or go through Ralliart NZ instead. Apparently its a 30 minute job so no biggie there.

Minor quibbles were that I asked for a complete itemised quote/invoice which he didn't provide for me, and he flat out refused to use the Ryco oil filter I supplied because he thinks they're crap and put the Mitsubishi OEM one instead.

He's done a complete cleanup of all parts of the engine bay and fixed all the leaks. Nothing else seems wrong with the car aside from the fact the seals were gone and there was fluid everywhere. This has all been cleaned up and the mechanical inspection revealed no other problems with the car :)

After comparing the car before and after the major service I can definitely notice the car hums along much quieter now. Seems not to make so noise either from the engine or when going over bumps in the road. The car has definitely got more pull and everthing feels much smoother, including the clutch -- he dropped the clutch fluid too. Overall, I am pleased with the quality of Indy's work and his prices were very reasonable. I would recommend him to anyone else thinking of getting their car serviced.

Now, I have a few questions:

1) The K&N filter I supplied was apparently not the right one -- Indy said it doesn't fit -- too long and too narrow. Has anyone fitted one of these filters in their cars and if so, was there anything special you needed to do?

2) The ICE Ignition leads are apparently also a little too short (1 inch), however he still managed to fit them in. Has anyone else also had a mechanic tell them this?

Cheers,
Jet

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
Awesome post!!!

But i'm still confused with your money spent.....

So parts cost you $1700

Labour $1280

Timing belt change etc $700

Mechanical inspection + other $430

Total = 4110??? Or is that a break down?

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Hey mate have you got ralliart NZ contact details - i got most of those parts but i do need some more for my major service.

Who did you deal with?

Cheers

Ps may i say that is a quality Major Service

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
Awesome post!!!

But i'm still confused with your money spent.....

So parts cost you $1700

Labour $1280

Timing belt change etc $700

Mechanical inspection + other $430

Total = 4110??? Or is that a break down?

The cost of everything was $1280.00 so yes, that was just a breakdown of the labour costs. Included in the $1280.00 is the cost of various workshop supplies and brake/clutch fluid and the Mitsubishi OEM oil filter.

The total cost to me including all the labour, parts and fluids is close to 3K. If I was just doing the 100,000Km service with fluid change it would have been just $700.00

Cheers,
Jet

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
damn thats a massive overhaul,

i think ill just be doing the belts/pulleys/waterpump/engine and gearbox oil and filters/maybe an ayc flush

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
Out of curiosity, what did you pay for the Amsoil stuff?

Cost of Amsoil stuff:

2 x AMSoil SVG 75w90 cost $50.00 ( $25/quart )
1 x AMSoil ATF cost $18.00

Cheers,
Jet

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
is your air filters part number 33-2794? mine fitted perfectly

Thats what it says on the label on the box -- maybe the actual filter inside the box was the wrong product, although I highly doubt that is the case. I'm overseas right now and won't be back in Sydney for a while. I'll have a go at fitting the airfilter myself when I get back. However, my current airfilter is almost new so no need for it to be replaced either :)

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
damn thats a massive overhaul,

i think ill just be doing the belts/pulleys/waterpump/engine and gearbox oil and filters/maybe an ayc flush

Ha! In hindsight I think that's what I should have done too. Oh well...at least I can be sure its in superb mechanical condition now :)

Cheers,
Jet

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Jet.

Excellent and comprehensive write up!

The entire job took 3 days and the final invoice he charged $1280.00 for all labour and materials.

I think that's reasonable for 3 days of work and some materials. From your description, they do sound like a competent workshop.

After comparing the car before and after the major service I can definitely notice the car hums along much quieter now. Seems not to make so noise either from the engine or when going over bumps in the road. The car has definitely got more pull and everthing feels much smoother, including the clutch -- he dropped the clutch fluid too.

I know it hurts to drop such a large amount on servicing but as you've said, there are definite and noticeable differences, let alone the piece of mind you get from knowing that your car is in top shape and that you've done the preventative maintenance. The good news is that the next major service is 100k away ;)

The K&N filter I supplied was apparently not the right one -- Indy said it doesn't fit -- too long and too narrow. Has anyone fitted one of these filters in their cars and if so, was there anything special you needed to do?

Some aftermarket filters require you to keep the factory plastic shroud in order to ensure a snug fit.

Having said that, if you bought the correct K&N filter, it should be a straight drop in. My K&N filter dropped straight in with nothing special required to ensure proper fitment. Did you buy the right K&N filter?

The ICE Ignition leads are apparently also a little too short (1 inch), however he still managed to fit them in. Has anyone else also had a mechanic tell them this?

I had Meek fit my Ice Ignition leads and they didn't report this issue at all.

Hope you're enjoying the car!

Bruce.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
When I fitted my ICE leads, they were 'snug' You just had to spend a little more time getting them to sit right. Ideally they could have been about 1/2" longer.

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Awesome service! That's the type I'm planning on doing soon since I've now moved to the top of a mountain and need peace of mind that 95% of things will be running as close to perfect as possible! :)

G

Unregistered
Im new to the legnum world and looking at buying my first one soon.

So the average 100000km service cost is around $3000??
I was going to start my own thread but it wont let me yet.
Is there any other threads that show come typical service costs for the legnums

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
Short answer - yes. If you you're willing to learn there are some things you can do yourself (general servicing) that can save you some money but they're VR4's are not the cheapest to run and service. The 100K service will cost you between $2,000-$4,000 depending on who you get to do the work, how pro-active you're willing to be and what requires replacing in your individual case.

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
Yeah, look I think I did spend more than I had to, but I really wanted peace of mind when I got the car. Mine had 94,000Km when it came off the boat, so I had to assume the owner in Japan didn't do the major service. I'm sure you can get it done for less than that. Try getting a quote from Steve or Meek if you're in Western Sydney.

Top Bottom