[VIC] 100,000km service - Locations and experiences.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
From $400 to $700 for the parts from Bill @ Ralliart in NZ. Then you just need someone to fit the gear which should only take a few hours. Check out our site and give us a call for a quote: The Workshop

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
Just thought I would post my upcoming service charges..

Quoted from Glenn @ Chasers:

------------------------------

Labour to do everything including the oils is $1000 and will take a minimum of 2 days.

Timing belt $238
Water pump kit $291 (local ones are a strip down version and not recommended)
Rocker cover gaskets x 2 $54.20
Seals x 6 $9.30
Cam seals x 4 $15.10
Crank seal $17.30
Hydraulic tensioner $300
All the prices are NOT inclusive of 10%GST but are all available.

Tensioner $93.50
Idler Pulley $62
Thermostat: Usually cost not more than $50 for after market ones but will check with mitsubishi tomorrow
O2 sensor : genuine is around the $200 mark
-------------------------------------------

He has also recommended 10w-40 Motul Turbolight oil... I've been using Nulon 5w-30 100% Synth...
I asked "Just out of curiosity, why do you recommend the 10w-40 over the manufactures recommended which is 0w-30/5w-30?"

His comment was:

"Those oils that are recommended are to thin and especially for older cars, and turbo cars, you want a bit more protection. We have seen many problems with especially cars with turbos and older engines. We only use oils that weight with NA cars."

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
"Those oils that are recommended are to thin and especially for older cars, and turbo cars"

Um, Mitsi recommended it and i think they realized they were turbo.....

Price seems quite fair.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Mine was $800 labour & 3 days (!) at Trembaths in Ballarat. I supplied EVERYTHING. Job was ok aside from them breaking my engine cover and not telling me, and leaving the radiator drain plug loose.

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
So should I stick with the 5w-30 or just get them to put in what they recommend which is the 10w-40?

Just want to make sure.

yoshimitsu9

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
stefan
Drive
ae86 sprinter
i changed from 5w30 to 10w40 turbolight last oil change (i figured at 100,000km should go just that little bit thicker) and its much nicer, the engines heap quieter and the lifters hardly make a noise

bails

Crunching Gears
First Name
Adam
Drive
2000 Legnum, S15 silvia, S13 silvia race car
Went to tech sport today to price up 100k service.
they said around 1600 for everything:fluids, belts, pulleys and pumps and new (and good) spark plugs front and rear (they said this alone is a long and laborous job)
any good or look around for something better?

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Spark plugs don't take too long. I took only 2 hrs including having to search the internet for ages for the lead order

bails

Crunching Gears
First Name
Adam
Drive
2000 Legnum, S15 silvia, S13 silvia race car
Fair enough. so price is a bit high?

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Hi all, is it necessary to change the hydraulic tensioner when doing the major service??

Gary

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
You wouldn't really want to skimp on things whilst everything is out... may as well get it changed.

It's the same thing with the water pump Gary, althought it may be perfectly working, it's a relatively cheap component so why not get it replaced anyway? My car was about 12 years old so I figured "hey, why not?".

Dice

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
DiceR
Drive
Galant VR-4 2xT25bb
Nissan Cube
When I got my R34 Skyline serviced at 100,000KM's my mechanic convinced me not to change the water pump since it was working. 4 months later it failed and cost me twice as much to replace, I should have done it while everything was already pulled apart.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
That's one of the joys of preventative maintenance I suppose Dice and sorry to hear that had to happen though.

Top Bottom