100kw ECU upgrade (apparently...)

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
I'm sitting at home reading issue 103 of High Performance Imports and I have discovered a very interesting ad for a importer called "Automotive Importers" on page 79. They claim they were the first in Oz to recieve Legnum ADR compliance but they also have a blurb on the Legnum which says
"The available Legnum is a 2.5L V6 twin turbo with factory front mount intercooler. This engine is factory 206kw de-tune from Japan. Change the computer and gain 100kw. Awesome car to drive with traction at all 4 wheels".:confused:
Now as far I know this fact is totally false, and while the engines ARE detuned under the jap agreement, a new ECU doesn't magically add 100kw. Unless I'm missing something these guys are conveniently adding on some info to shift cars, which is pretty wrong. Wonder when we'll have someone come onto the forum asking about the "100kw ecu upgrade". So can somebody enlighten me as to whether these guys are bullsh*t artists?
I don't want one of our members (or anyone) buying a Lemon off these blokes, if they lie about things like this then what else do they lie about?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I'm guessing its a missprint and they are referring to adding a facelift ECU to a pre-facelift which will nett 10kw, not 100......

G

Unregistered
lolz..306kw ecu, it would make it more powerful than the 35gtr haha!

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
That might be right Lee but I'm sure I recall seeing this ad in a few issues of HPI. Either they haven't noticed the error, or it's not an error and they meant to write that.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Can someone say "misleading and deceptive advertising"?

The context of the statement suggests that the the Legnum is purposely hobbled to 206kW because of the computer and that a new one will release its true power figure of 306kW. In this context, I don't think they intended to suggest a 10kW jump from pre to post facelift autos ...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
With my Autronic ECU I went from circa 205kw to circa 300kw, but that is with a lot of other supporting mods. Someone should simply call them and ask about it.

G

Unregistered
I have call the company that is claiming the 100kw gain out of HPI, as i thought it was to good to be true, the person i was talking to confirmed yes 100kw so it is defently no missprint. Then i asked what type of system they use and what would the cost be, he replied miniceptor and around $1200 fitted and tuned, thats when i knew he was full of **** as tuning is no cheap and at the claimed power figers all systems would have to be pushed to 100% and the tune would have to be spot on to avoid the big bang. If they were doing a full ECU change and hours of tuning and were able to provide dino sheets to back up there claim they may have baited my line. Do your home work and ask if they have anything to back up there claims before handing over the $$. byer b were if it sounds to good to be true it probley is. There are gains there but 100kw no way

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
They are talking 100kw from a STOCK engine with just a miniceptor? You'd think that gains would be pretty small at most. Bloody interesting to see that they still stuck with the story tho, persistent if nothing else.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
With the focus on power, what about torque increase? :D

So, I reckon we should bring in a "parts only" grade 3 legnum, chip in $12 each (find 100 people) and watch a 6A13TT detonate for sh*ts and giggles. I will provide popcorn.

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Yeah I have a miniceptor and that is crap.....

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
With the focus on power, what about torque increase? :D

So, I reckon we should bring in a "parts only" grade 3 legnum, chip in $12 each (find 100 people) and watch a 6A13TT detonate for sh*ts and giggles. I will provide popcorn.

HAHA i will send you the money right away as soon as the company accepts the challenge~

under one conditin. can i keep the car when it is finished?:bigsmile:

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
can i suggest we sew them for false advertising , and use the money to buy me coileys!!

seriously tho , what fools.

G

Unregistered
Thats a nice claim - I am going to have to start advertising that one myself. Especially on a stock VR4.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
So in case anyone hasn't figured it out, these guys probably aren't the best option for importing a Legnum (or anything). Go Iron Chef, or another importer recommended on here, already given quality VR4's to a bunch of members.

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
LOL these fools service my car...... If you heard of mosely's the guys that do my general service for around $120 all inclusive. It's the same ppl. I'll ask for proof with my next service it's due soon. mmmmm Popcorn.

Donkay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Don
Drive
Mitsubishi RVR
mmm will definetly pay the $1200 + installation of 'their' miniceptor!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I heard that by removing the v6 badges on the sides, & swapping the Mitsubishi & VR4 badges around on the rear of the car you can cut your drag factor by 80% & gain an extra 1.5 seconds off your 0-100km time ! (y)

Scubasteve

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
96 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 Manual
I heard that by removing the v6 badges on the sides, & swapping the Mitsubishi & VR4 badges around on the rear of the car you can cut your drag factor by 80% & gain an extra 1.5 seconds off your 0-100km time ! (y)

ohhh nooo
i completely debaged mine does this increase or decrease my 0-100 time???

Top Bottom