16' wheels needed to pass regency inspection.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
Hey guys.

Took my new galant for an ID check at regency today and it failed. Apparently it's meant to have the standard wheel size to be approved for rego ( i thought you could be one size up), and also i have to take the tint off ( read at 7% on the rear windows, needs to be a minimum 37%). :cautious:. Anyway so i need some 16's. My mate has some R34 GT stockies in his shed, but i have heard mixed reports on whether they will go on the car or not. Can anybody clear this up for me? Anyone else know of any other kinds of 16''s that are commonly found that will fit on our cars? Cheers.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Nissan centrebore is smaller I think. Mitsi is 67.1mm and I think Nissan is 1mm or so smaller.

I'm sure that someone in SA could swap wheels with you for a little bit!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I thought exactly the same thing steve, however I think he means GT stockies, not GTT.
GT has these 16s Im pretty sure:
18378230.jpg

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
oh i never realised the non turbo r34's had different rims. as they are all 5 stud unlike 32/33 non turbo models.

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
You should be able to use Magna rims but the tyres may be too large as the 16" fitment is usually 215/60R16.

PeteGT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
'99 Legnum - S Manual
Can you get in contact with the compliance place you used? They will possibly have a set of stock rims on hand.

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
i know this may seem obvious as well but are the rear windows actually tinted? i wouldnt think many people would tint over the privacy glass

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
I am running Nissan wheels currently, but need a 5mm slip on due to centre bore differences as mentioned above.

Unfortunately I do not have any 16's. Doesn't the compliance plate note 17's on it?

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Yeah it's tint over the factory tint, dont know why anyone would do it but ah well. Yes GT rims are 16's. So your saying they wouldnt fit? I didnt comply the car in SA was complied in vic by tokyo prestige then i bought it. Well if anyone has some factory 16's in SA let me borrow them for a 6 pack...and my eternal gratitude! I'm sure there is a thread on 16's that can be used for compliance somewhere but i am struggling to find it using search.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
By the way Lee, your getting a legnum off Phill? Same bloke i got my Galant off. He is a champ, great service. Told him you bought a 33 off my mate a few years ago.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
Oh and Joel, apparently there is a placard on the door frame that has a wheel size on it (16'). The wheels on the car have to be compliant with whats on the placard when it's ID checked. Hate regency! Will be back driving a daewoo lano's around town this weekend because of them grrr

G

Unregistered
Doesn't your placard have a 17" size on it? I'm sure I'm not the only one that has a 16" and 17" size placard on the door frame :confused:

It might be easier to get the above mentioned placard and swap it over.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
I will have a look tomorrow but the gorrila in a blue top that inspected my car insisted that the placard had 16' on it. How would i get a 17' placard? Do they go off and on quite easily?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
just head down regency way to a import wrecker. no doubt they would have same sort of factory rims lying around. i did that to get my silvia thru years ago. just give them a $20 tip or something and it will all be done in less than an hour.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
My placard also lists 17x7.5j with a 215/45 as a standard size.

Alternatively, do what Steve said above. Most places would kindly oblige.

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
yeah the placard defiently says 16". Is this the compliers fault for not putting the right placard on? So anyone know of a particular import wrecker yard that i could use?

J-B

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jarrad
Drive
EVO VII GSR
depends on what the yard used as their test car. If they got their first car through with 17's then they do the rest with the same.

I know that in QLD one of the places used 17's but the yard mine was done at in SA used 16's so it can change as far as i know.

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
i have a set of stock VR4 wheels but no rubber on them unfortunately. if you had been couple months sooner i could have helped. can you put some magna whells on it?

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
ahhh thats unfortunate. I have a magna in the backyard but it's rolling on 15's, or possibly 14's i'm not sure. I'm going to start ringing around to import garages on monday to see if i can borrow some. I serviced my last legnum with synergy so i'm thinking they wouldnt mind helping me out. Thats very interesting about the placard laws i had no idea!

Top Bottom