First Name
wade
Drive
hilux, legnum
hi guys

car is 2001 legnum
130thou km
auto

im fairly new here and having some trouble with a legnum i bought recently.
driving home at night the lights turned themselves of for about 10 seconds and then came back on, did not think much of it at the time.

following day car was running fine then my wife let the battery die by leaving some stuff on in the car so we charged it up and car was all good for about 30 mins then its stated to stutter down low and stall. would not start for abit but eventually came good.

now the problem persists it drives fine for bout 30 mins then when you turn the car off and come back to it it will want to stall when applying pressure to the accelerator, you have to put your foot down to try and overcome the stutter and stalling to get it moving but that only sometimes works, usually it comes ok once you get it going but can also stutter abit when driving.

the rear window has also just started playing up when you pur it up it gets half way then goes back down......

i have had the fuel pressure checked (think thats what it was) and seems fine the only think i can think of is maybe the ecu is faulty?
no lights come on during these issues and has also been plugged into a scanner with no fault codes coming up.

i am not exactly knowledgeable with cars but my dad is an auto electrician but he is fairly busy most days so its hard for him to get time to look at it, and help in the issue would be good, i hope all this makes some sense haha, thanks

i could possibly get a video of the issue up at some point if that would be helpful.

I will also just add that when the car comes good after its been stuttering and stalling it will drop 2-300r and once it's done that it runs perfect. It drops 2-300r when I leave it sitting there just idling and that's when I know that it is good to drive.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Lights are odd, no ideas there.
The stalling thing is fairly common on Autos after a flat battery/disconnection, the ECU needs about 300kms to relearn how to idle and often stalls. Leave the AC in auto mode and vary your driving speeds etc (I.e, don't do 300kms of highway driving)

Could be something else altogether though considering your other issues I guess.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
Does it idle like it's got some lump cams when it's spazzing out? Rad fans running?

WarOfTheDamned

Idling at the Lights
First Name
wade
Drive
hilux, legnum
Lights are odd, no ideas there.
The stalling thing is fairly common on Autos after a flat battery/disconnection, the ECU needs about 300kms to relearn how to idle and often stalls. Leave the AC in auto mode and vary your driving speeds etc (I.e, don't do 300kms of highway driving)

Could be something else altogether though considering your other issues I guess.

i have not been running the AC at the moment but ill put it on and do more km, im doing alot of hills driving at the moment so my driving speeds are varying, its just weird how when it happens it just seems as though something switches on all of a sudden which you notice when the revs drop and then its fine.

WarOfTheDamned

Idling at the Lights
First Name
wade
Drive
hilux, legnum
Does it idle like it's got some lump cams when it's spazzing out? Rad fans running?
fans are running, not sure what you mean by lump cams... im not heaps car minded haha, but its like when you put your foot on the accelerator the car is not getting any fuel and its choking but will all of a sudden sort itself out and work fine

WarOfTheDamned

Idling at the Lights
First Name
wade
Drive
hilux, legnum
Are they running even tho the engine is cold?
Just had alook, the engine semi cold as already took it out few hours ago, all fans on. Would have to check it morning for a proper cold start but pretty sure they were all working this morning. Car never runs hot or anything.

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
If fans are running when not even up to the middle on coolant gauge and it runs like shit, Coolant temp sensor near thermostat is stuffed I bet

WarOfTheDamned

Idling at the Lights
First Name
wade
Drive
hilux, legnum
If fans are running when not even up to the middle on coolant gauge and it runs like shit, Coolant temp sensor near thermostat is stuffed I bet
OK I'll check in morning then, so to be clear no fans should be running on the car till the temp is up to half? Including the ac fan?

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
Turn off your aircon when you check. I Donno what your weather is like atm but no way would my fans turn on unless the aircon was running. I'd have to drive around and park it. When I had a similar problem the fans were full blast even when the engine was dead cold (aircon off)

WarOfTheDamned

Idling at the Lights
First Name
wade
Drive
hilux, legnum
Turn off your aircon when you check. I Donno what your weather is like atm but no way would my fans turn on unless the aircon was running. I'd have to drive around and park it. When I had a similar problem the fans were full blast even when the engine was dead cold (aircon off)
No worries, Pretty cold here at the moment. I'll check in the morning see how it goes. Thanks for the help

WarOfTheDamned

Idling at the Lights
First Name
wade
Drive
hilux, legnum
i checked the car fans this morning and none were running on a cold start, air con off. the only difference today is when it warmed up i had the air con on auto the whole time and did not play up once today.....so im kinda clueless, maybe it has fixed itself..

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
Sounds like it's learned it's idle since going flat like described above.

There's been a few with weird idle problems in recent months

Top Bottom