'98 Legnum SOOPER VR4 FS on Prestige Website

G

Unregistered
those cibies need to be colour coded (and on my car for that matter...)

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
i'm still not very good with the models.. but if this was a 98 shouldn't it have the update front? as in 2 fog lights etc?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Nope, all supers were pre-facelift.
Facelift occured during 1998 so there are still some 1998 pre-facelifts too ;)

G

Unregistered
i'm still not very good with the models.. but if this was a 98 shouldn't it have the update front? as in 2 fog lights etc?

super vr-4's were the last 800 series 1 chassis', which were used before the series 2 came out later in 1998.

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
cheers for that fella's. on another note, is there something wrong with me as I dont like the look of the super vr-4's?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I'm personally not a fan of the black on silver, BUT I have seen a photo of a colour-coded super and its much nicer to the eye. Red carpet would still take some getting used to I reckon

G

Unregistered
Colour coded Soopers are very nice! But I honestly like the two tone look as well. And you can't go wrong with red carpet.. think Honda type R.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
cheers for that fella's. on another note, is there something wrong with me as I dont like the look of the super vr-4's?

I'm not that keen on them either. I don't like the extra bits hanging off all the corners.

(sorry Gavin!)

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
*ahem*

As a colour-coded Super VR-4 pilot...

Actually, I'm a big fan of the front canards. If you want to see how it looks, you know what link to click in my signature ;) The Cibie lights do need to be colour-coded on a colour-coded car, but the two-tone look this has actually works with the lights. Kit needs to have a gloss black, otherwise unpainted black plastic appears to be tacked-on.

(Kudos to Scott's dad for the paint and bodywork, mitchy for the Super-swap, Kris for dealing with the shenannigans, etc etc etc... so click HERE for the story!).

Actually, according to my records... I started looking for a Legnum A YEAR AGO! Amazing how time flies. Even more so when you're strapped into a chassis bearing 6A13TT goodness ;)

Oh and for Lee and Macca's benefit... are you sure?

lokielwood5aq5.jpg

*hehehehe*

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
Hmmm after seeing Gavin's colour coded super vr-4, well its really not that bad. Although, the front canards (or whatever are called) are still a little to be desired.

So my current verdict - two tone super vr-4's are a no go! :p

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I like the concept of a limited edition run, but where is the extra power, better brakes, red flames down the side?Super's look nice, especially colour coded but they are a bit boring!

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
*laughs* Yep, with all that extra gear and with the detuned auto-box Series 1 power (260bhp) it weighed it down and ranks as the slowest of the stock VR-4 Legnums :)

Brad, next time you're over, I'll promise to drive instead of Katie ;)

Red flames down the sides? No way... with my background, I'd only reinforce racial stereotypes!
Better brakes? Done. DBA-4000 series slotted rotors fitted in the first week.
More power? *heh* well, you'll have to keep an eye in my Members' Rides thread over the coming weeks.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
TD04's then? Looks like I'll be over at xmas again. Hope it isn't 40C+ again

You'll have to come over here one time and go for a fang in mine :)

SU8TLE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ryan
Drive
VY SS M6
colour coded looks WAY better.
non-colour coded looks like a backyard fitting job that forgot paint.

id still prefer a facelift model over a colour coded super but.

DarkVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
Black FL Reganum
Im with Peter, Im not a fan of the black on silver. Gav's ride looks hot from the front, however Im not fan of the rear end of the PFL. That's me

formanth

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Anthony
Drive
2001 Legnum
re Super VR4 release and tidbits on Japanese society

Macca, the official release of all series 2 (facelift) Galants/ Legnums/ VR4 etc, didn't happen until August, 1998, even though many Super VR4's had a '98 build date, but had had the pre-facelift front/back..

I would hazard a guess and say Dec '97/ Jan-March '98 are the months of their build dates.

Mitchy, Gav- what is the month of build according to your plate?

Don't be confused, here's why.......*useless trivia alert*

The Japanese financial year runs from April until the following March, and conservative managers and designers still have extremely bad hangovers from all the sake/shouchu( a bit like vodka) they drank during "business meetings" at 'sunaku (snack) bars...to cope from the stress of finalising end of FY reports/ cooking the books...for the big wigs at Tokyo head office..so they can pay less tax.....

...AND...no-one in middle management- where most of the major decisions re update models are first made- wants their arse handed to them on a plate for introducing new changes that....

(a) COULD result in a marketing/sales disaster that might hurt their end of year figures and upset said head honchos and picky shareholders and make them lose face (look bad)... (remember conservative?)

and....

(b) when traditionally, the first quarter is a better time to introduce a special/limited edition versions with added features that might give a wicked boost to sales of the outgoing (last years) models and fatten up their end of FY results... (20 factory psi VR4 with TD04 anyone??:ROFLMAO:yeah- we wish!)

BUT, more importantly, this is a time when things are brought to conclusion (hence the Supers being released at the end of 97/98, but several months before the facelifts).

Anth, what'ya waffling on about, mate?

You see, tradition plays a BIG part too (on the evening news they mention Lunar calendar special days and the country still celebrates them).

Of course, late March/ early April is Spring- the time of new beginnings- but in Japan it can be a point of major upheaval in their lives and they take it literally-how? Promotions to upper management, intra-company transfers, beginning of the school year, uni students moving away, new recruits are starting out..out with old, in with the new- people are getting shifted , and in the case of demotions, shafted...

People are pre-occupied with their potential work changes ( live to work, not work to live society), so generally speaking, Japanese car makers prefer to wait until the new FY is in full swing before bringing out their new models or ones with major styling changes.

Also , and just as important, their largest export market by far is the US , which also happens to start its financial year around the same time and is just gearing up for their summer campaigns- June/July/August is a good time to show new models as drivers are sick of " hollarin' and "cussin" while sliding around/losing traction on wet/ snowy conditions and are more likely to walk into the showroom, plonk down their fast depreciating dollars, and say " give it to me , baby, aha aha!" and drive away in their new car to probably impress neighbours they don't even like....

Just my 10 yen worth...

oh, I reckon the Supers look "super"..."absolutely marvelous that"..(doing his best Richie Benaud impersonation:D
st my 10 yen worth

Cheers,
Anthony

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Actually, I was looking for the build date a few days ago since I was curious!

James, I've got the arse-end of Loki for you, with the trademark rear wing that's big enough to double as an aircraft-carrier landing deck! Compared to the Series 1 Legnums, you don't have the "shroud" that blends into the spoiler that mounts around the exterior rear glass. (photos taken from the Vic Cruise Pics sometime last year).

lokiportsea1th3.jpg

Back on-topic, so who's game enough to bring this Japanese Super VR-4 into Australia? There are FOUR Super VR-4s that I know of. Ben's (Just Plain Nuts) in QLD, Mitchy's in WA and two in VIC (mine and another sold through Kamikaze Motors a while ago).

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I like the supers just cause they're unique(ish) and I'd have much respect seeing one on the road. Personally for my own ride it was just black Series 2 manual or nothing - ask Kris, I was pretty darn clear about that from day one (and boy did I pay for the privelidge!) But Supers are cool too :)

Oh and the uncoloured Cibies match the super kit nicely I think.

Top Bottom