A Subaru I'd own

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I'm with you Bradc, i actually test drove the Liberty GTSpec B wagon before i bought the Leggy, in the end, couldn't justify the 60k for the Subi. But it's a very nice car.

Yes i was going to hand over 60k :(

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
That's a big change in price Simon - why didnt you look at a 2nd hand MY04/05, or an MY07 if you wanted the 2.5? Would've been $20k+ cheaper than the new Spec B, but you went a long way back in price and age to the Legnum?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I've driven a few 2.0 Turbo Legacy's, both the 1998-2003 and 2003-2009 shape (ie twin and single turbo) Never a 2.5 though.

The twin turbos were just like a VR-4 but with no power from 4000 to 5000rpm which is right where you want it! I was very disappointed. Also the 98 to 03 shape isn't aggressive at all, especially the yucky headlights. The 03-09 shape turbo ones are like a VR-4 but between 20 and 50% worse until 4000rpm. From 5000rpm to 7000rpm both generations are very similar to a VR-4. Overall the lack of torque down low put me off. A VR-4 is simply rapid as long as you are above 2500rpm.

The interior of the 03-09 shape is nice, and I would have an H6 3.0 to replace my ST-R with, as over here the only subaru's that get stolen are the ones with a letterbox slot in the bonnet. I like the fact that they are available with a 6 speed manual and have considerably more power and torque than the ST-R. In fact realistically I think I will buy a 6 speed H6 3.0 03-09 shape Legacy eventually, maybe in 10 years!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
That's a big change in price Simon - why didnt you look at a 2nd hand MY04/05, or an MY07 if you wanted the 2.5? Would've been $20k+ cheaper than the new Spec B, but you went a long way back in price and age to the Legnum?

In short there really wasn't anything the Subi did that the Leggy didn't. Plus the Leggy was a LOT cheaper. Overall the subi has a little more refinement but not 40k worth:LOL:

Plus one of the main requirement was to fit our 2 Rotti's in the back. The Liberty wasn't long enough a height was a problem.

i looked at Forresters the height was ok but too short, Liberty's length ok (so my wife lies to me:love:) but not tall enough.

Leggy fine in both repsects......there was another car we looked at but in the end i shose the Leggy as the other was even more expensive to run. I've deleted the pics of it but it was a Stagea but with R34 front conversion, brembo's and RB26 AWD!@!. That was 38k but again in the end nothing the Leggy couldn't do.

It was actually Envy Imports demo car (wagon)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
That's understandable Simon. My main reason for going the Lib GT is that as I'm purchasing it through Novated Lease, and even with a residual that will be well below market value (to ensure I dont get stung) its the same out of pocket expense to me as the Legnum was paying out of my after tax salary. So I get a car that's 8 years newer, less kms, same poke and more refinement I want for no extra $$ out my pocket.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
That's understandable Simon. My main reason for going the Lib GT is that as I'm purchasing it through Novated Lease, and even with a residual that will be well below market value (to ensure I dont get stung) its the same out of pocket expense to me as the Legnum was paying out of my after tax salary. So I get a car that's 8 years newer, less kms, same poke and more refinement I want for no extra $$ out my pocket.

Completely understandable and i agree the right choice to make. I was going to lease mine as well but paid cash for the Leggy

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
How many kms a year do you do Tim? and what sort of salary are you on? Basically, if you do less than 15,000kms per year, and earn under about $60k its hard to make it worth your while for novated leasing....

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
How many kms a year do you do Tim? and what sort of salary are you on? Basically, if you do less than 15,000kms per year, and earn under about $60k its hard to make it worth your while for novated leasing....

Hey Lee, can you buy used cars on a novated lease? I fall within the salary range and i do at least 30k pa. I have a crappy company ute but want to pitch to them the possibility of going this way. I want to buy a manual PFL Galant that is at a car dealers near my work. 15k and immaculate!

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Hey Lee, can you buy used cars on a novated lease? I fall within the salary range and i do at least 30k pa. I have a crappy company ute but want to pitch to them the possibility of going this way. I want to buy a manual Series 1 Galant that is at a car dealers near my work. 15k and immaculate!

As a general rule, yes 2nd hand is ok, but it depends on who is doing the finance. Most companies will want the car to be no older than 5 years at the conclusion of the lease, so if you lease a car for 3 years, the oldest it could be at purchase was 2 years. Some companies/banks will allow up to 7 years old at the end of the lease (which is what I have) and I bought a 4 year old car for a 2 year lease, with the option for a third year if I still want to keep leasing the car at the time.

So for a manual S1 galant - no hope. In fact, you won't be able to lease any grey import car - no financier/bank will touch them for leasing purposes. Been there, tried that for an EVO 8 - everyone said no :(

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
nice liberty:

2q09fty.gif

BUT WAIT:

2meczgh.jpg

OMG! AWESOME!

if only subaru made a flat 8. imagine the soundz

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Someones using their head!!
The LS series of engine are all alloy and lighter and the RB series engine, so putting the above V8 in there isn't really that strange. A decent exhuast, LS1 edit and this thing would be smokin' (y)

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Saw the first pic and thought to myself "I wonder why the owner has given that car such bad wheels and ride height and a silly wing?". Then I scrolled down and it made sense. The owner has no taste.

Carry on.

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Shhhhhhhhh. Run along now...
Someones using their head!!
The LS series of engine are all alloy and lighter and the RB series engine, so putting the above V8 in there isn't really that strange. A decent exhuast, LS1 edit and this thing would be smokin' (y)
LS1 would be lighter than a lot engines, like the E46 M3's S54B32, not just more run of the mill engines like the EZ30R.

Top Bottom