A10 aka Aaron // Townsville - QLD

G

Unregistered
Normal Recaro's will do. Mind you $12k would be good too. Then I have $3k for handling mods. Did the FL have a Brembo option?

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Hi Aaron.

I could have written your post myself when I was looking for my Galant. Like you, I liked the sleeper-ish looks of the Galant and wanted a manual that was as new as possible and with the lowest k's. Same as you re no interest in w@nk mods, wanting only targetted and light mods and the need for reliability.

As others have mentioned:

a) the latest model manual Galant you can get with AYC is a Series 1 up to 1998;

b) you cannot get a Series 2 (post 1998) manual Galant with AYC;

c) you can get an Series 2 auto Galant with AYC; and

d) you can get a Series 1 or 2 auto or manual Legnum with AYC;

e) cruise control was never an option on these cars and TCL does not come on the manuals; and

f) with the air filter, avoid getting a pod and instead get a K&N / Ralliart / HKS panel filter. There is a group buy on now for the HKS panel filter or you can get the K&N online for about $100 (just picked mine up last week).

Phew!

Now of course, your next question will probably be "does AYC really matter?".

Opinion is divided on this but there is support for the view that a street car that doesn't see the track and isn't driven at 8/10ths or more on a frequent basis, probably won't miss AYC. In other words, it's a nice to have and its absence doesn't turn the car into a wallowing wreck that handles like it's on jelly!

The other concern is that AYC is an expensive bit of kit and if something goes wrong with it, it costs big $$$ to fix. This is even more the case if you tend to mod for more power (the AYC in our cars don't seem to last as long with big power outputs).

With your $15k budget, you should be able to get something very nice. By way of reference, my car was just under that and it was almost exactly as per the spec you want i.e.:

2000 Galant.
Indigo blue (almost black).
Manual.
Recaro seats and Momo steering wheel.
Sunroof (very hard to find this with everything else here).
49,600klm on the clock with service history.
Climate control is standard.
Stock as a rock.

I got the above when the Aussie dollar was trading at around 63 US cents. It's now at around 80 US cents so you can do cheaper. The issue will probably be around how rare the above spec is so you might need to be patient with importing. I was lucky in that my car popped up after only a few months of looking. Others tell me that they've gone over a year without seeing that spec!

Good luck and let us know how you go.

G

Unregistered
You make a compelling point. Like yourself reliability is a must for me. If this thing breaks all the time it's no good. I'm really not all that taken on the Legnum and I'm wondering if the lighter Galant will handle better than the heavier Leggy with AYC. Also the whole AYC servicing thing is a worry. It's just more stuff to go wrong and big $$ if it does.

Perhaps a FL Galant / Recaro / no AYC might be the win.

Does that Recaro interior come in any other colour? srsly

My stereo plans are deck/splits/amp/sub and that's about it. Want a deck with bluetooth hands free 'cause it's cool. :)
I should add I don't want MMCS or whatever it's called too.

I'm really only going to be dirving to and from work every day in this thing I just don't want to be bored out of my tree while I'm at it. IF my fancy is taken there may be the odd hillclimb or something but I can't see if being a regular thing.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Pre May 2000 comes in red/black/grey and post 2000 comes in Grey with Hi-Vis dash and some other niceties :)

G

Unregistered
Grey Recaro's? That sounds better. Anyone know of some interior shots of some post 2000 Recaros?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Usernames "um318r" "Tom" and "Rasi" all have it.... They're all I can think of off hand..... Just search for thread created by those users :)

G

Unregistered
Win. I've looked at Chris's white Galant but never noticed the grey Recaro's. Actually a stock version of that would be just about ideal for me. Sunrooves aren't a big thing for me. I quite like the white.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Yeah Chris's is a top car, i've spent plenty of time in it and it looks and goes the goods.

Does good skids too :)

G

Unregistered
Does good skids too :)

Oh dear... I think I'm too old for that crap.

That reminds me too. Having been on bikes for the past ~10 years I probably should look into learning to drive a little better.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
You're never too old, don't give me that rubbish haha

He got snow tyres on his rims so there is only one thing to do with rubbish snow tyres and that is melts them to the road lol. He will laugh lots reading this ;)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
You make a compelling point. Like yourself reliability is a must for me. If this thing breaks all the time it's no good. I'm really not all that taken on the Legnum and I'm wondering if the lighter Galant will handle better than the heavier Leggy with AYC. Also the whole AYC servicing thing is a worry. It's just more stuff to go wrong and big $$ if it does.

Perhaps a FL Galant / Recaro / no AYC might be the win.

Does that Recaro interior come in any other colour? srsly

I'm really only going to be dirving to and from work every day in this thing I just don't want to be bored out of my tree while I'm at it. IF my fancy is taken there may be the odd hillclimb or something but I can't see if being a regular thing.

Like you Adam, I also tossed and turned about whether I wanted to drive a wagon, just for the sake of AYC. In the end, as I had no need for the exta space of the wagon and because I prefer the look of the sedan, I settled on the Galant.

You make a good point regarding the weight difference. How much better does an approximately 1,600kg Legnum with AYC handle against a 1,460kg manual Galant Type V with no AYC? In most real world situations, I'm guessing the difference will not be substantial, if at all. Sure AYC is a good thing when punting hard but the laws of physics and weight will always have a say.

Based on your description of how you will use the car, I don't think you will be disappointed with the handling of a Series 2 manual Galant. The best way would be to come to a meet. If you ask nicely, I'm sure you'll get a good feel for the handling of the AYC Legnum vs the non-AYC Galant.

In terms of the Recaro interior, you can compare Chris "updated" interior against the previous Recaro interior in my car here:

http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5251&highlight=patience

The Recaros are a good thing and are pretty comfortable whilst holding you in during those fangs through peak hour traffic ;)

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Get a Series 1 Galant and just change the Front bumper and tail lights to S2. There is bugger all difference, just the interior really.

G

Unregistered
The post 2000 interior is something I think I would like. I've decided I could live without AYC.

I guess when it comes time to buy I'll see what's actually available. Perhaps the difference in cost may go a very long way to fixing any interior quibbles I would have in a pre-facelift. Oh aren't the FL's easier to get upgraded brakes for?

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Yes Brembos bolt straight onto facelifts

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Officially it is 1530kg to 1460kg, 70kg difference.

Brad, what is the "unofficial" or real world difference?

I've seen members posting that their Legnums showed 1,600kg+ on the weigh bridge and rego papers.

70kgs? Hmmm, that akin to carrying around one portly passenger or 2 super models all the time ...

G

Unregistered
You're never too old, don't give me that rubbish haha

He got snow tyres on his rims so there is only one thing to do with rubbish snow tyres and that is melts them to the road lol. He will laugh lots reading this ;)

Ok time to defend myself.
As you have seen i have a Galant 2000 manual with recaro/momo. i DO NOT have AYC but would not want it!!
1 less weight
2 it fells like YOUR driving the car not the car it self.
3 much cheaper to repar than AYC
4 no AYC = lots of sideways action:D
5 cheaper to service.

And why would you want a wagon unless you have 5 kids and 3 prams??
but im not buyest in anyway.:D
runs and hides:eek:hmy:

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
And why would you want a wagon unless you have 5 kids and 3 prams??

That is the reason a lot of people buy a leggie. I for one have 1xPram & 2xKidlets and the leggie was a way to fulfill my urge for boost and still drive a family car.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Bruce - dunno I haven't seen a Galant weighed. The 3 figures I have are:

Prefacelift manual VR-4 with 60l fuel and 75kg person, 18" wheels, exhaust
455 490 945kg 57.45%
345 355 700kg 42.55% 1645kg total (1570kg no driver)
Prefacelift auto VR-4 with 60l fuel, no driver, 17x7.5" wheels
480 440 920kg 58.23%
319 341 660kg 41.77% 1580kg total
Prefacelift auto with 30l fuel, 80kg driver, 75kg passenger, stock wheels, sunroof
540 460 1000kg 57.41%
382 360 742kg 42.59% 1742kg total (1597kg no driver)

All Legnums. The top car should have been a bit lighter than that but there might be something else at play such as a stereo system or the wheels were heavier.

Top Bottom