A10 aka Aaron // Townsville - QLD

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I got a Galant because I like the space of a 4 door (I transport friends a lot, it's fun) but had no reason for a wagon! (My boot only has a sub in it, I don't ever store anything in my car!)

So I got a sedan as I didn't want a big wagon, usually it's only me in the car, so there was no point in getting a full size wagon.. I wanted 4 doors for the convenience of friends.. So the Galant was the better option for me!

Also having come from a 2004 Liberty, I loved so much about it I just wanted more power, so it was the more logical direction to go in :)

G

Unregistered
Do you mind telling me how much you paid for your beastie? Either by PM or in the thread. So I can get an idea of what I'm up for.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I paid more than most people I think haha.. But that's because mine was already in Australia and I didn't bother shopping around!

Pretty sure it was $18k (LOL I'm terrible I always forget numbers)

You should be able to import one $16-17k max though?

G

Unregistered
Cool. I was kind of expecting them to be above my magical $15k mark but I reckon I could swing another coupla grand. I also have to factor in getting the thing up to Townsville. Which is ironic considering it will probably float past at some stage.

G

Unregistered
Just because I live in Townsvile doesn't mean I havea tinnie.... :)

Anyone know if a place in Brisbane can comply these things and if they are any good?

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Aaron.

At the current exchange rates and with the GFC, you'll get what you're after for $15k comfortably. The car I bought is almost the exact spec you're after and I paid under $15k for it at the time.

East Coast Compliance did my car. I believe they are based in or near Brisbane.

G

Unregistered
Awesome.

So how does the costings/timings go? Assuming $15k all up for the car...

Enlist chef - ~$1k
Start looking for car.
-Interlude-
Find car, pay for car - $?
Car goes for a boat ride.
-Interlude-
Car lands in aust. Pay for shipping etc - $3k
Car goes to compliance - $3k
-interlude-
Car finished compliance.
Shipped to me - $1k
Taken to RWC/rego/insurance - $2k
WIN.

So according to those dodgy maths I have around $5k to spend on the car in Japan. Which is about 400k Yen. Apparenlty. What did I miss?

Does anyone have some nice websites to peruse to see what cars are availabe in Japan?

Also another quick thing. What's the turning circle on these things like?

G

Unregistered
Being old and in a good area helps. Shanons quoted me something like $800. So yeah, with a roadworth cert, stamp dutyand the rest I might lift it to $2k to be sure.

Damn. Poor turing circles is something that really annoys me. Can bump stops or something be shaved? :)

Thanks for the link.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Definitely more realistic figure!!

The turning circle is a small dent in an otherwise brilliant car, you'll learn to live with it whilst wearing a massive VR4 grin.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Definitely more realistic figure!!

The turning circle is a small dent in an otherwise brilliant car, you'll learn to live with it whilst wearing a massive VR4 grin.

Factory-fitted cruise control would have been nice too :thumbdown:

G

Unregistered
Cruise would be nice. Not a deal breaker.

So any mods for the turning circle?

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
No not that I'm aware of, only modifications neccessary to your 3 point turn abilities, or being able to pick exactly where u-turns are possible.

Turning circle isn't overly horrendous, just bigger than you'd expect, you'll get use to it and the steering is light enough so that its not a ture to throw a u-turn/3 pointer

the GRIN will really make up for it

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
LOL the turning circle, is but a mere small dent.. The only problem you might suffice with it is holding up other people, inwhich, who cares? They can't wait an extra 20-30 seconds or something? Plus my three pointers I usually do pretty quick if there are cars around, otherwise it doesn't matter so much..

Cruise Control, oh how I miss that.. But oh well, you get used to it I suppose!

Much like the others have mentioned in one way or another, the rest of the pro's definitely make up for it :) That grin is one I still get a year and 2 months later :)

G

Unregistered
Coming from a bike where I can do a u-turn in a single lane this could be interesting.

Oh well.

G

Unregistered
Oh yeah. How does shipping the car over in a container fair with the whole 'bits go missing' thing? I'm thinking it won't change much since it's theorised that the bits go missing once it lands in the country. Also does anyone know the cost difference?

Top Bottom