air con not working...

dr-25-lt

1000th Member!
First Name
michael
Drive
'98 white FL S2 legnum
hey guys, i seem to have a drama with my air con...

the air con chooses the temp it wants to... i always have it on 17 degrees, but mainly when i give the car a squirt on the throttle i hear a pop noise and and blows hot air... and its pretty much on or off...

climate doesnt do shit, its red hot air or freezing cold, and then after 5 min or so it goes back to cold?!? WTF...

the air has been regassed so that cant be a prob, but as i said, when it works it works awesome...

something that maybe unrelated is that it seemed to happen soon after i intalled my tv screen... Could this be the cause???

My mate works for toyota and said that a customer came in with a similiar problem and it was some switch under the bonnet...

Any suggestions would be awesome...
Mick.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Your blend door motor could be stuffed OR it could be the blend flap inside the heater box. The fact it changes randomly makes me think the flap is moving freely (broken off its hinge) thus the air is mixing from hot to cold with the movement of the car.
To fix it you will probably need a new heater box from a wreck, and its a dash out job to replace it.

Then again, I may be wrong - confirm or deny with opinions anyone?

**Note I had a similar problem with a past car that the blend door motor died, locking the heat full on regardless of the controls, thus what makes me think its the flap not the motor, as motors tend to seize whereas a broken flap will move.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
I agree Lee, that sounds like the most logical cause.

I believe the heater core comes out under the dash though, just take off the glovebox and surrounding kick panels etc. I haven't done the job myself though, so worth asking someone who has - I know Simon's (Jungle) replaced his.

Top Bottom