Air con no longer cold

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
As said, the air con in my bus is no longer cold but its happened pretty quickly. It also makes a hissing noise when its switched on through the vents

I was only marvelling at how the air con was still nice and cool a couple of weeks ago, then all of a sudden this. Does it sound like it simply needs re-gassing or something more - busted ass condenser or something?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
possible leak from the condenser?

worse case is that you need to pull it out and get a leak test or replace it with a new unit.. easy part is just regassing it.. but most likely you'll loose the refrigerant in hours if not in days..

get an a/c tech to track down where the leak is coming from, they'll use UV dye when they re-gas your a/c system..

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
I think you most definitely have a leak!

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Hmmmmm, i cant afford time to go get it looked at :mad:

Thanks for the replies guys, will try and get onto an AC joint sometime soon

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Dion I've just been through this as I repaired my A/C last week. I had a tiny crack in my condenser, but that's far from the most likely place you'll find a leak. You need to do a pressure test, which will use compressed Nitrogen up to around 250psi to try to find the problem. Apparently the most likely places A/C systems leak is the filler valves, and then the expansion valve which sits inside the cabin next to the evaporator.

If the leak is too small, you may not be able to find it with compressed gas. In that case you add UV reactant dye to the refrigerant, which can then be found by shining a UV light on the leak.

There should be mobile aircon guys who can come to you and fix it (or at least work out what the problem is) while you're at work.

Once you've fixed the problem and you're getting it regassed, you may need to tell the tech the charge weight, which is 675g to 710g according to the workshop manual.

If you need any further info feel free to ask (or PM me to grab my attention in case I don't see this thread).

Top Bottom