air pod worth doing??

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
hey guyes was thinking bout putting a hks or blitz air pod on but is it realy worth doing? id use a heat sheiled and a bit of flex hose to run air from the front bar to the pod?

wats ya thoughs and has anyone done it and noticed much power gains (also induction noise)

cheers fellas

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Agreed, no matter how well you shield it, it's still going to suck in hot air. You're better off getting a high flow panel and making up some ducting to the factory airbox.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
in my opinion, don't bother unless you're doing it right, if you are still doing it, I suggest add a straight pipe like what Gly did,so that you'll get that straight air flow direction effect.. that way you won't hit boost cut sooner..

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
A CAI might work well.. Not sure if anyone has actually tried that yet however.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I think you will find it makes the air flow meter go mental as well.......

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Adam there's a few discussions on the subject elsewhere - basically Dawso's on the money - unless you do it right it will screw up the airflow profile making the AFM give odd readings, screwing up your AFRs. Not really recommended unless you're upgrading your ECU so you can use an aftermarket airflow sensor and you're prepared to build a cold air box (CAI = cold air induction).

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
I'm currently running the RPW recommended K&N POD. It was on the car for Saturday's Dyno Run. I'll log the fuel used at the end of the tank then swap over to the OEM box and do the same with the fuel and see if there is any difference. To be fair I should do a Dyno Run also and if I can I will.
So far I've only noticed a very slight bit of rough idle down around the 600 to 650 rpm whilst waiting at lights. No real difference in the fuel usage. Just passed the 200km mark on a half tank of 98 ron fuel.

G

Unregistered
I'm running a Blitz pod with perfect idle ... can't say there is a big difference in pickup because it suddenly got colder here in Perth after I put it in so it definately picks up better, but I'm guessing that is more from denser air etc.etc.
But definately no negatives at this stage. Prolly worth spending dollars elsewhere in the initial modding stage ;)

Top Bottom