Any fitness guys on here???

generalboozy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Joshua
Drive
new: 98 Leggy Vr4 old: nissan 200sx, honda integra, toyota corona....now i've seen the light.
what do ya need to know? my brothers a doctor in sports medicine, and he trained me for a few years.

i used to be 92kg's, dropped to 57kg's, now i'm sitting at a more healthy 68kg-70kg....

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I think there needs to be 2 threads. One for diet and food, one for fitness.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
Agreed steve. Or an entire section.

I started at about 67-68kg last year, now im 76kg, aiming for 85kg. I think my goals are a little different however ;)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Josh, you are a skinny little basterd lol....

I'm 85 at the moment, just looking to increase fitness and try and strengthen my back which I busted in a bike accident. I just do the gym bout 3 times a week, 20 mins cardio, 40 of supported weights.

I still play indoor and outdoor cricket too which hepls I guess. Pumping 4 bazillion smokes a day doesn't though :(

generalboozy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Joshua
Drive
new: 98 Leggy Vr4 old: nissan 200sx, honda integra, toyota corona....now i've seen the light.
Josh, you are a skinny little basterd lol....

I'm 85 at the moment, just looking to increase fitness and try and strengthen my back which I busted in a bike accident. I just do the gym bout 3 times a week, 20 mins cardio, 40 of supported weights.

hahaha yea, i am now!!! but i'm riddled with hectic stretch marks all on my sides, ass, and shoulders.
but for my frame size and height it's about right. i'm 100% south indian and we're all fairly weedy characters in frame size and i'm only 175cm....feels right anyways, but yea being 57kg sucked...i wanted to lose weight until i could realise my frame size and then build from there. lots of long distance running!

my regime is quite different now, focused on keeping lean and fit.

brad what do you want to get out of this? separate threads aren't necessary as they are all important together. i base my workout regime on my diet and vice versa also depending on the season and what my resting patterns are like.

if i could suggest only three things it'd be this:
1. big brekky, big lunch, pussy-small dinner and no later than 6:30 unless your hitting the gym after 6:30
2. water is pretty damn important. get it into you
3. always shoot for practical strength, it's easier to maintain in the long run (20 years down the track your still strong but you've got flappy biceps and saggy man-tits). lots of gym exercises don't allow the bodies natural movements to occur thus limiting the work of supporting muscles. always hit your legs first in a full body routine cuz it forces a greater release of testosterone in the system as well....makes everything else almost easier cuz your body is more prepared for the shock your muscles get.

so more than three. i can dig this topic! feelin the new years resolutions starting to surface...

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
^^^ Those 3 points are very good advice. Doing legs or cardio first is a good warm up and means you're pushing the heaviest weights first.

I've always been part of a gym, but only seriously got into it the last few years.

When I started I did the typical 'dude workout', heaviest weights you can lift with poor form, no cardio, no warm up or stretching, dont watch what you eat'. You will see some progress, but its more or less pointless.

Then I really got into running, would run 5kms 4 times a week. Slimmed down a lot, but it became really really boring and kept getting sore shins.

Now I sort of do a mix of the two. 1 hour a week on the cross trainer pushing really hard with no break (cover approx 5kms). Excellent for cardio and no harsh impact on your legs like running. Then 3 times a week I do body pump. It's a 1 hour class working the entire body with light weights and high reps. I only started doing it as something different and so I wouldnt get bored. But I've gotten better results doing body pump than anything else I've tried. I attribute this to working the entire body, good form, proper stretching, warm ups and cool downs. Plus it involves a lot of cardio with the high reps.

Anyone else do gym classes?

generalboozy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Joshua
Drive
yea steve, body pump is pretty awesome. lots of guys have issues with it cuz it perceived as a bit homo, but that's rubbish and most guys who do it the first time are so wrecked and vomit all over the shop....they are great.
for those who don't like the idea of body pump, go to a boxing-training session, many gyms have them and they are similarly focused on cardio and strength training using your own weight.
i've developed a boxing routine you can do at home (couldn't afford a gym this year) and works just as well and you don't need anything, but a couple of dumbbells makes things interesting.

steve, i used to run heaps just like you, 6kms 3 days a week and found the same exact results: slim & trim but sore shins and knees. i now run on the beach occasionally to assuage the boredom or i'll train to the city and run through the streets during peak hour doing stoplight to stoplight sprints. it's fun and always changing.

i've basically had the exact story that you've had now that i think about it. i feel good where i'm at now, but it's taken all those years of random exercises to find out what works best for my body

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Funny this thread came up as a few weeks ago i thought about making a new thread on body building to pick some brains out there :p

The best form of cardio available to everyone is HIIT!!!! (High Intensity Interval Training) Basically you do a 20 minute cardio workout 3-4 times a week, It involves sprinting and steady running. Basically its something you build up to but the principle is you sprint for a certain time period then jog for the same time period then sprint then jog. Its something im going to do alot more if in the new year but if you sprint for 30 seconds to about 80% of your max then slow down for 30 seconds and repeat this process for 20 minutes...it can for majority increase your metabolism for upto 48 hours as opposed to the 2 hour increase you'll get from using any cardio machine at any gym, HIIT is the most intense cardio you can do which provides the quickest results. If your trying to build muscle anything more than 30 minutes 4 times a week will tax your muscle gains but if your trying to get a lower bodyfat % this method of cardio is the way to go :D

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Haha, sorry man I was actually talking about the other Josh, my bad :p

Good advice though!

Haha i WAS a lot skinnier! Making quite good progress now though - hoping to hit 80kg by new years if i can eat enough. im 6ft too so i 'should' be up there in weight.

My routine involves LOTS of eating - as much rice and meat as possible, with high carb/protein blend shakes in between. People hate on me for needing to eat heaps when they are trying to cut back... but i reckon i'd rather be fat! plenty of calories stored to build muscle with, and FAR cheaper. You dont want to know how much i spend on food daily. I am for 300-600g of meat a day - just eating chicken gets a little boring, and good steak is $20/kg. Plus the suppliments work out expensive too. It's about $100 for a months worth of a good gainer.

I try to get to the gym monday wednesdays and fridays, and focus these routines around Squats, Deadlifts and Bench press, obviously working everything else around these main ones too.

Keep in mind i have a very different goal to what a few of you do, and id be considered a 'hard gainer'. My 85kg at 8% goal should see me looking pretty good though. Currently im 76kg at 10%.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Whoa gee wasn't expecting the replies on here already!!

Well, I work a pretty demanding job that can take a lot of my time. I used to be doing horrible commuting hours because I was living with the wife in Terrigal & working either in Sydney or Newcastle. Since the marriage has gone tits-up, I'm now living on my own in Newcastle, 5mins from where my office is. I'm slowly getting back on my feet, but I'm eventually getting back to actually having spare time. Unfortunately, over the years of being with her, my weight ballooned (from 81kg when I met her) to a size I kinda don't want to put into print as it's embarrassing to now realise it.
Anyways, it hit home yesterday at the doctors, & coupled with mum being diagnosed with diabetes, I'm at the point of saying enough is enough. I'm tired of searching for XXXL size shit etc, & getting tired & sweaty after pissy activity.
I used to be scarily skinny when I was in my teens as I played a lot of sports, but once I started working, my leisure time evaporated, even more so when I met Mel.
I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, no drugs. Hell, I even gave up Coke. No spending hours playing LAN games or World of Warcraft lol. Rarely watch TV & lucky to play XBox once a fortnight. My major time demand is my job (which I cannot change).

I have to gradually settle into a routine. I'm not sure how a sudden hard workout is going to affect me as I'm worried it will do more damage than good. I'd like to be able to workout at home if possible & if I need to buy particular equipment, then I'm open to it. It's been years since I've done regular exercise.

My major focal point is my stomach. I want to reduce its size bigtime. I do a lot of walking & physical activity in my job, but it's my stomach that doesn't get affected by it, so the best type of exercise or activity that it going to help flatten it, the better.

Thanks for the tips so far peoples. Now that I live close to where I'm working (most of the time), my new years resolution is to finally start doing something this weight as I now actually have some sort of ability to do something, rather than sitting in a car for shitty hours just getting to & from work.

Phew... that was a weight off the shoulders..

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I found working out at home doesnt work, I just get too distracted. Where if I actually go to the gym, you have no excuse but to work out.

Is there a gym around you? I would suggest trying out the classes, and you will only work as hard as your weights, or effort.

To flatten out your stomach, you need to do core exercises, not specific sit ups, etc. I've noticed that dead lifts, and other full body exercises really correct your posture, which will in turn help you exercise in better form.

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
Run mate, run like the wind! Don't see any big long distance runners do you?
Seriously, i ran around the velodrome every day for 30 days and lost kilos a few years ago.
I'm not suggesting that as it was a dumb idea BTW- have rest days - but only every 3 or 4 days on and make sure you do a good 4 days on to start with.
The velo is just behind you, walk there briskly and call it a warm up, then try and do a lap (just one to start) of the velodrome block. Even walk it, running as far as you can before having to walk (its ~1.9kays around, if you add one extra long side your at around 2.5kays (my preferred distance). The further you can run the more weight you'll loose, the body just can't afford weight when you run.
If you do the velo then once your pooped from running get over to the back of merewether high (not sure if they've put up that fence yet) and do pushups, situps & dips on the grass/little wood bar things.
Thats a full body workout that should take around 30-45 minutes (excluding warm up/down which is you walk there and home).
Eat healthy, nothing radical just NO chips - hot or cold! And drink water, heaps of the stuff.
Do it now before new years as then its your decision and not a reaction to a date.
Oh, by some good shoes too, don't need expensive ones, just running shoes (not cross trainers) that feel good on your feet.
$50 shoes have 90% of the technology a $250 one does so don't get upsold, they aren't fashion jobbies, they are for you to sweat in and make stinky.
If you stick it out and wear them out then you'll know what to buy if you want to go up the $ tree
When i first did this i'd go at 7pm and the place was deserted.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Hell, I even gave up Coke.

I took this the wrong way LOL

Anyway, my stepdad lost 10kg in 3mths just dropping ALL carbs and some casual exercise when he had time (he wasnt training hard, just the occasional jog)
Admittedly, he was only 95kg to start with, but the difference it has made is huge.

Another friend lost 65kg. He too cut out carbs, and was strict on a chicken and vegetables ONLY diet. Nothing but water, chicken, veges. If he was struggling, he'd have protein powder plus water. Trained 5 days a week. Took him less than a year. 3 Days at the gym, 2 running. I'd recommend rest days however.. Your body DOES need time to heal.

Trick is, push yourself. If you feel like you cant push one more out, push 5. hell, push 10. Push till you fail ;) the ones leading up to complete failure are the ones that will do the trick.

Deadlifts and Squats are the 2 best things to do - they train the largest muscle groups and will make your body start producing what it needs to to help you trim down.

Its definately achievable, you just need to be VERY strict. Quitting the old habit is the hardest part.

I quit alcohol and fast food - even though im trying to put weight ON, the weight i want is totally lean, maintaining 8-10% body fat

generalboozy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Joshua
Drive
yea dennis is onto it....wanna lose heaps of weight quick get into running. to build on that, swimming is the ticket as well and it feels a lot better than running :) i remember though when i was 92kg's i was pretty ashamed to get my shirt off cuz of my ridiculous man-mammeries but swimming is a great way to really shock your core without immense pain if you haven't worked it in a while.

brad, i live in morisset, and i wanna get back into it, i'd be more than happy to show ya my at home routine sometime, it's kinda hard to explain but damn easy to do. well, easy in the sense that you don't need equipment. all about improvisation really. but yea let me know!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Cheers dudes. The thought of diving head first into a hard routine straight away gives me worries about a heart attack or something caused by the sudden onset of strenuous activity. Hence I was concerned whether I should start slow & work my way up. Worred my legs/shins are not going to take me just running on them right away!

I don't want to have to go to a gym. For starters I don't really want to be in the company of buffed up guys who are only going to make me feel worse off because of how I am by comparison, secondly, I'm more comfortable at home & I can then jump straight into a shower.

I'm taking notes on all of this.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
The other thing you can do is find someone who wants to do it also. Then you push each other and the job gets done :)

Top Bottom