any ideas for cooling the engine bay.

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
just a quick questions for all you vr4 nurds, any suggustions or iders on how to keep the engine bay cooler or is there any other coolent that keep the car from high temps. i know that our cars have hight under bonnet temps but all that heat carnt be doing much for the the hoes and plastic components(frigial shit)

cheers fellas

G

Unregistered
Most cars will benefit from some sort of heat vent in the bonnet you hay even try to give ceramic wrapping the exhaust. Even getting a oil cooler on the engine will help ad as the turbo's have an oil feed to them you could put a oil cooler in the wheel arch or even look into were Nissan put their stock inter coolers and try to mimic it with your oil cooler if possible.

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
yeah thanks mate for ur imput just some people have said to put spacers under the bonnet hinges???

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
That's weird as I'm sure I saw someone in the know here say they were just water cooled.

Must. get. glasses. lol

Edit: did a search, someone mentioned that the were also water cooled. My apologies tommo :)

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
yeah well realy i just wanna get some of the members imput on how to release some heat or what have other people come up with!! eg.. bigger grill opening rasing bonnet ect..

sexspecvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
ADAM
Drive
GALANT VR4
our turbos do have an oil feed if you take ur intercooler piping off the top of the turbo and run ur finger on th inside of the pipe you will see traces of oil but anyway back on to topic...

G

Unregistered
as tommo said the oil is to lubricate the water lines are for cooling..

vented bonnet and if you have your stock under tray leave it on...

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Removing the under tray cover will expose all of the bottom of the engine. Mine is off for now to monitor my leak.
While it's off, i've noticed after a long, hard drive, if i open the bonnet when stopping, there seems to be less "hot" air trying to escape the engine bay.
When it was on, there seemed to be quite a lot of hot air. Also, on some occassions with it on, if i had my arm resting out the window i could feel the heat escaping the engine bay on the side of the car.
With the under tray being off at the moment, i haven't experienced that much heat from the engine bay.

I still recommend an Evo bonnet though.
That will be early next year.
Our engines get really hot don't they? :D

tray.jpg

G

Unregistered
True the engine bay may be hot but is the engine too hot? Maybe its a sign of the engine getting rid of the heat rather then being too hot. my 2c lol

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
In the custom bonnet thread there's some interesting discussion and links that will give you some good insights into what can be done and how to do it. Getting the balance right to promote negative pressure in beneficial ways is key here - you want good flow through your coolers and suction that pulls hot air out of the engine bay. If you get it wrong you'll just end up with dead air sitting in pockets around your engine or worse: positive pressure BEHIND your coolers :banghead:

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Adam, i strongly suggest NOT to put washers in your bonnet hinge..

few reasons..

1. Dept of Transport can and will defect your car for it..

2. if you get into a crash.. instead of the bonnet crumpling on its own, it'll just snap off from where the bolts are and might cause bodily harm..

how i know this? remember my mishap back in April where the bonnet smacked on my windscreen.. it wasn't the bonnet that smashed the glass, but the bonnet hinge which closed on its own.. kinda like from | | to / \ so i learned through the hard sad way..

3. It may loook good.. but not enough to dissipate the heat from inside the engine bay out to windscreen.. (might need other's opinion on this one)

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
The engine runs fine as it is man. Why are you worried about getting rid of extra heat?

Engines get hot when they are pushed that's normal.... It's a PC CPU which is going to be able to be over clocked if you can get the temps down with a refrigerated heat sink.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
On the bonnet raising thing, it won't work anyway as you have too much positive air pressure just in front of the windscreen, so no air will exhaust from there anyway.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Then why am I seeing soooo many commodores out on the road with this mod in place? Its looks like they cant even close the bonnet rite :p

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Well it probably does help when stopped, but definitely not when moving at speed.

Steve - who said they are any where near as intelligent as us!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Don't you think their depth of thought is self evident? They drive commodores... 'nuff said really :banghead:

Top Bottom