Anyone Here Into Physical Training?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Yeah, first thing I'm leaning toward. But the other night I still got a headache after drinking 3.5 litres during the day. But yeah, I must first understand dehydration.

G

Unregistered
Being a Grunt working in Townsville I have had a few experiences with dehydration haha.
I know it is very easy not to drink enough water through the day and if you are doing cardio you will feel it especially. Try and have 4-5 big glasses of water between dinner and bed and a few in the morning, and drink while working out, a few sips between sets.
I drank my ass of the other day then did a beep test in 35* heat with 80%+ humidity and nearly died lol.

Also, If you aren't breathing properly you will get headaches. If you hold your breath while lifting it can cause high blood pressure and headaches plus just a plain old lack of oxygen and a build up of nitrogen so make sure you breathe out while lifting and in while lowering.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Do you feel light headed as well? It could be a blood pressure problem.

When do you exercise usually? I find I get that feeling a little when I go to the gym in the mornings.

G

Unregistered
Not breathing and lifting causes high blood pressure.
I find in the Morning I am shit at gym haha

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Yeah same, I go in the afternoons unless I miss a day and catch up on the weekend. There have been studies that shows exercising in the morning causes high blood pressure due to your blood being thicker first thing in the morning.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
After 730pm daily (5 days in a row)

Consists of:

Sunday night 6.8klm run
Monday night 1hr core
Tuesday night 20klm ride with a session on dip & chin up bars. This is the main culprit
Wednesday night 6.8klm run
Thursday night 1hr session at home. general weights mixed with some core.

I dont really get light headed, just that throbbing pain in the head. I am going to try and increase my water intake throughout the day to a minimum 3.5ltrs and work on my breathing.

If all fails...Off to the quacks i go :(

G

Unregistered
Hmm I would think dehydration with all that cardio, also make sure you have enough salt through the day aswell or your body won't hold the water.

I would try and double that water man haha. I have about 1.5L just on a weight session here. you can never have too much water, you should never feel thirsty throughout the day.

Doing jungle warfare training in malaysia we had to water ration to 2L a day in 40+ degree heat and 90-95% humidity and a lot of guys got very sick and went down.

Without rationing one day we patrolled with about 60kg of gear each through thick jungle about 12-15kms over 4hours and I drank 6L of water.
Got by on under a litre the next time we did it but I was pretty crook haha.

G

Unregistered
I will get a photo of our army. work/rest/water table for you, its guidelines based on work to rest ratios in different temperatures and intensities, and how much water you should have. We usually ignore it haha but it is accurate and should be stuck to.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Tuesday night 20klm ride with a session on dip & chin up bars. This is the main culprit

It seems like your body is used to aerobic training, and not anaerobic. I know the feeling you're talking about. Like a throbbing you can feel in your head and neck. I only really get it when totally exhausted. I don't think water is an issue if you're already getting plenty.

I would mix up your training a bit, especially on tuesday. Do your dips and chin ups first. Seeing how you go, then add some compound movements throughout the week before your cardio. Just some basic squats and deadlifts so your body is used to lifting something relatively heavy.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Been getting these same headaches recently, on one occasion did 3 reps of bench and then had to go home it was that bad. Same pain, head and neck. Not dehydration with me as I drink up to 10L a day generally. I have put it down to Creatine which I tried for the first time the other day and 4 days later started getting the headaches.

Now I have stopped taking Creatine and I am still getting them when I exert myself in any way (been a week, seem to be getting better). Pretty strange.

Oh and for anyone who wants an extra pump quickly, Creatine is your friend. If you train hard the results are very impressive.

G

Unregistered
Creatine is good for allowing quicker recovery, both intra workout and post workout, and you get the pump from your muscles holding extra water weight.

After an alarming amount if 'heat injuries' in the infantry battalions they realised that the creatine stops your body from absorbing the water you drink properly, that is why you are supposed to load and then cycle it.

A lot of guys were misusing creatine for endurance or heavy cardio exercises and getting messed up.

You need to drink a lot more water on creatine and it may cause the headaches from sending the water straight to your muscles to be stored rather than absorbing it properly.

You are definitely right, creatine is your weight lifting friend and helps you look pumped and bigger than you really are haha, just has to be used in moderation.

Army is cracking down on pre-workouts at the moment due to people misusing them, they are not your friend when you take too much haha.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
What supplements are you guys using?

I've always been on and off with the gym, not really seeing it as anything more than a causal thing. But about 2 years ago I started taking it seriously, regarding proper strength training programs, diet and supplements. I believe the supplements made the biggest difference. I never feel tired anymore, never had an injury since and have made gains I'm happy with. Having the smallest deficiency in your diet can really stuff you up, especially if not getting enough sleep.

In the morning I take fish oil, (which everyone should take regardless of training, as it helps with your joints), and multivitamins. Then at night I take magnesium and zinc to help with recovery when you sleep. The problem is that there's so many supplements out there that you can't take them all. With the link I posted above, Dave Asprey is a scientist with what our bodies need. He highly recommends vitamin D supplements as most people don't get enough sun exposure.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Thanks for the tips Mitch, Steve. Some things I need to try.

Matt, creo had the exact same effect on me years ago when I used it. Heaps of bulk fast but damn those headaches! Took a little while for them to go away after i stopped using them.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Steve, I take glucosamine and a multi in the morning. I am about to go on krill oil. I also just recently had a friend tell me about the magnesium and zinc at night. Now hearing what you say I'm definitely going to give them a go.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Zinc isn't as important if you eat a lot of fish. But definitely magnesium. Everyone recommends it from PTs to massage therapists. It helps get rid of the toxins that build up in your body and relaxes your muscles, so best to take it before bed.

G

Unregistered
I cheat when It comes to dieting.
I cannot for the life if me fit in all those vitamins and minerals, oils, acids etc in a day.

I have taken to having a protein shake for breakfast with 1% fat milk, not a mass gainer but a protein LOADED with vitamins/minerals/BCAA's/a little test booster etc haha, I can't remember what I am on now I will check it tomorrow when I get to work.

I have another one an hour before gym and one right after with a light lunch like a tuna wrap or something, then try to have a steak or chicken or pasta dinner.
I also use Nitrolyze S pre workout but that's just for energy in the gym.

I have found with a good loaded protein you don't have to worry about vitamin/mineral supps at all because you get enough from 3 shakes. You also get all of your omega 3 and amino acids as well, and a few other oils and miscellaneous goodness.

Just using those supps I can hit the gym 4 days a week, the 5th day is usually a heavy battle PT session,pack marching, weighted running etc. I always have energy and recover in a few hours despite my recent shoulder recos, even though I do push myself pretty hard considering.

Before Supps my shoulders always hurt and I wasn't getting nearly as much result from training,and I just generally felt more lethargic and unenthused.

That's been my experience lately anyway.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I've always had a protein shake in the morning with low fat milk, but have since changed it up. I'm now using raw organic full fat milk, and adding a spoonful of coconut oil (butter). So essentially loading it up with the good fats our bodies need. The problem with low fat milk is that it's been pasteurisation to a point where you're basically drinking white water with none of the nutrients. Not only that, the fat remaining in the milk can no longer be absorted by our bodies.

Starting last week I've been trying to eat a higher fat diet, with coconut oil (100% fat), grass fed butter and fatty cuts of grass fed meat. Essentially if you're eating the good fats, your body won't have to go into survival mode when hungry. Also our brains and organs are made from fats, so allegedly a high fat diet will improve brain function.

If you guys have time, seriously listen to that podcast like I posted above. Let it play while browsing the forums. I learnt more from Dave Asprey within a few hours than my entire life.

G

Unregistered
Reviving my own thread here guys.
Somehow I let myself forget about this and never got around to sending out those programs!

Is anyone still interested?

And for those who want a bit more of a challenge, I have a 13 week program designed to get fairly fit people in the best possible shape for SAS selection that I can send out if anyone is interested :)

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Totally forgot about this thread.

I've just completed the Max's 12 week challenge. Basically 12 weeks to transform your body. It's more for people already into fitness, but want to take it to the next level. 12 weeks of 100% correct nutrition with no cheating, and going to the gym regularly without skipping sessions.

It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Diet was definitely the biggest challenge. No snacking and no eating whatever is available when out. Pre plan every meal.

Here is a link to my completed profile/progress/blogs.
http://www.maxchallenge.com.au/2013/maxs/vote/user.php?Stephen+Penney-546

Voting closed last weekend, but oh well. The top 30 will be announced in a week or so. I thought I was in with a chance, but some of the transformations have been insane. Around 7000 males and 5000 females signed up this year. I'll keep you guys updated when the 2014 challenge is nearing.

Before 81kg.
After 69.7kg.

fGO0C5.jpg

stephen-(1)_1382395042-1089.jpg

full-way-front_1382158559-6782.jpg

full-way-back_1382158613-3747.jpg

full-way-right_1382158632-4.jpg

Top Bottom