Appropriate boost levels

G

Unregistered
Hey guys

I have read a few threads in the questions facility of the forums and would just like to ask... what is the boost running at stock? i read a bit about bumping it up to 14psi and it got me thinking what is it generally without being touched??

and probably a noob question to ask but if you're upping boost (pending how high) would it be fair to say that you would have to make sure your IC is up to scratch and perhaps look at new exhaust system to account for air flow or?

yeah mine is stock at present but if im mapping out my mod progress it would start with wheels... i would then look at IC upgrade to enhance boost as well... and then exhaust or perhaps other way round >.<

:)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Stock is about 7psi. Straight up to 13-15psi will be fine. Things like exhaust and intercooler don't need to be done, but they will help

G

Unregistered
Oh k 7psi... Oh again. haha so not super essential but would aid in the overall harmony and performance of the car yeah?

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
mines on 12psi at the moment.. i would never go ANYTHING below 12... i would fall asleep :( its alot of fun youll be addicted.. a manual boost controller costs <$50 :)

edit - keep in mind your fuel usage will go through the roof as the ECU is designed for stock boost, and going more than this will cause it to be sure it is dumping extra fuel in to compensate, and will most likely run rich. Everyone would probably recommend you get some form of fuel management (like a SAFCII, about $200-$300+Tuning) which will then leave your timing slightly out (i think..) so better still, get a piggyback like the haltech miniceptor (<$1000) as it can do timing too... expect pretty decent gains with the combo of tuning + boost increase, fuel tuning alone picked me up over 20kw atw from 12psi before tuning, 12psi after tuning.)

G

Unregistered
Oh 15 wow... and are chewing through the juice scott??

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I run 16 or something. I normally average 11-12.5l/100km but over the last weekend I acheived 363km, and used 36.1 litres. All open road driving though.

G

Unregistered
Yeah i average out around 350-400km but i always top it up around a 1/4 tank which is usually 300+.. ok so im gettin the picture a little better... pending how i drive it (which im not a racer haha) and where (which would be along the freeway to work, minimal traffic) it wont chew up much more than what im using now?

and...

initially... mods i.e IC arent essential...

Thanks for your help so far guys

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
if you dont floor it much you wont really notice a big difference. I use 14-16L/100km on 12psi. closer to 11 or 12 if its highway driving, though im almost never on the highway

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S
I hooked a boost guage up to mine a while back and it hit 8psi, didn't budge from that for a second.

If you run a manual boost controller, you'll want to check your A/F ratios first to make sure you're not going to lean out too much. Granted, our cars are rich from the factory, but there could be a myriad of things that could cause leaning (dying fuel pump, clogged injectors etc. remember our cars are mostly over 10 years old) and you really should check that your mixtures are ok first. Better safe than sorry.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
Re fuel consumption.

What about a dual boost controller? Two settings. One stock for driving to work and back, another set to 14psi (or whatever) for fun?

Should mean OK fuel usage except for when you want to teach that idiot in his 1980- commodore a lesson.

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
Re fuel consumption.

What about a dual boost controller? Two settings. One stock for driving to work and back, another set to 14psi (or whatever) for fun?

Should mean OK fuel usage except for when you want to teach that idiot in his 1980- commodore a lesson.

i like the way you think, gosh commodores and falcons are everywhere here,

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Running a different boost level has never altered my fuel consumption.

What uses up fuel is how quickly you move the throttle. If you like to stab at it, you are going to use heaps. If you can bring yourself to ease it on slowly then you will save lots.

Personally, I didn't get a turbo car for fuel economy so I don't let the thought of fuel usage interfere with fun.

1 boost setting all the way: MAX. If you want to regulate it, just use less throttle.

Re fuel consumption.

cowabunga438

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marty
Drive
1997 Galant VR4 and a very old cordia turbo
Yeah I did wonder about boost versus fuel. Even IF the boost is set very high, just using the throttle less (thus lower revs and boost) must mean less fuel. I would have thought the main predictor of fuel consumption would be how lead footed you are.

Anywho - will probably get one fitted next service (most likely with Carmen).

Top Bottom