ARRGH my clutch has a problem

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
My brand spanking new clutch somehow managed to disengage itself from the pedal :(

Thankfully I was just pulling up to my sister in law's house... which is around the corner from my house... so I'm not stranded.

My mechanic reckons it sounds like the master or slave cylinder. I got the car out of gear with the engine off and pushed it down the drive out of the way but it won't go back in gear when the engine is running. The pedal stays on the floor when I push it in.

Question: does anybody know if this can be fixed easily? Parts available locally? I really don't want to have to search high and low to get parts...

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
I had a similar problem with my old magna when they put in a new gearbox. They had pinched a metal line heading to the slave cylinder which then caused a leak and the same symptom you're experiencing.

The slave cylinder, from what I've seen so far, looks to be very similar to the Magna one...I'd say they'd be the same. This is the part number for the slave cylinder assy from CAPS: MD748617 (prefacelift, but I can't imagine there'd be any difference between pre and facelift models).

I can't find a magna one on my CAPS as it's Japan only, and they didn't have manual diamantes (magna equivalent) there.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Thanks paul. Any idea what the master cylinder part no. is? Just in case I need one of those...

(I have a prefacelift anyway)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Derek I'd be calling the mechanic who installed that clutch and asking them what they were prepared to do about it (and expecting a free tow and repair or I'd be on the phone to a lawyer). That's #$@% up man :banghead:

For your reference, Clutch Master Cylinder Assembly part number is MR198603, but I hope / expect you won't need it. I don't see how it could have failed, far more likely to have a split line somewhere as Paul suggested due to dodgy workmanship.

Good luck!

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
was he shitting himself? or did he know what it would be straight away?

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
Well he doesn't think he damaged either the master or slave cylinder, so if one or both have died then it's just wear and tear. All I've got is his word on it. If I took the car elsewhere I'd have to pay for it in any case, so I really have no alternative.

I know that previous posts have seen many of you being sceptical and generally bagging out mechanics as a rule, so let's not go into that here. I've been taking my cars to John for nearly 10 years and he never, ever let me down with my old car. Remember, when he got stuck on the gearbox last week he offered to reassemble the car and not charge me anything. I'm not ready to get antagonistic on him.

Oh, and it drove fine for five days after the clutch was replaced. Only broke this morning.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
yeah i wasnt heading in the bagging direction, dont worry :) when you develop a professional friendship with someone in that way, they generally wont screw you over.. hopefully if he finds that he was at fault, he will be honest about it with you, as it was coincidental timing..

badvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
marty
Drive
mitsti legnum
hey dude.what was the clutch fluid level like??if it had a fair bit in it....pump the clutch for a good minute, then see if it will go into gear then...if it does...its more than likely to be a split or something.just had mine done yesterday!!!get the mechanic to send it to master cylinder express to get repaired.(much cheaper and quicker than getting a newwy)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
Finally fixed!

The clutch master and slave cylinder were both borked. Had to get new ones. I ended up getting them from Armstrong Mitsubishi in Wellington NZ as they were the most willing to try and ship them overnight express (ask for Greg M, he was very helpful).

Unfortunately the shipment got delayed for two days due to my own stuff up with the bank transfer payment... which meant four days including the weekend...

Once the parts got here John had them installed within a couple of hours... today I FINALLY got my car back. Yay!

And I drove it home on Eastlink :D Nothing like a brand new road. I could have had 15kg springs on my coilovers and it still would have been a smooth ride!

Top Bottom