Auto gearbox oil change

Sleepyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew Reddel
Drive
1997 Vr4 Legnum
Sorry if iam being blind or daft but where is the best spot to add the sp3 oil when you drain the box.
Is it just from the dipstick hole or is there another spot.
I searched high and low for a thread about the best way to change the auto fluid
Any help appreciated and if I.missed it please point me to the right thread and kill this one.

Sleepyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew Reddel
Drive
1997 Vr4 Legnum
Ok mate thanks for that.

Whats the best way to drain the oil out is there a way to flush out the stuff in the torque converter or not without taking it somewhere to get an oil flush done.

Never really worked on Auto's before always had manuals.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
MEEK pump the trans fluid in through a different method & hole, but unless you have a car hoist, it might be a tad difficult.

Dipstick hole it is.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
There's an awesome guide on Clubvr4 but you'd need to be member to see it. Worth the membership cost though just for the guides

Sleepyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew Reddel
Drive
1997 Vr4 Legnum
Urgh signed up with club Vr4 and waiting contact to become a Premium Member.

Iam guess the big 24 mm bolt on the rear of the diff is the drain hole ... looks like i need to get a bigger spanner

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
Remove front passenger wheel and plastic cover you will see and there it is

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
here's a guide...

1. drain the oil..
2. remove the sump
3. replace the filter inside it (not sure where to buy it as I've never bought one - I assume magna ones would fit),
4. replace back the sump and I think you'll need to use some sort of sealant for it..
5. once sump is returned fill with new oil.. I think 4 liters is enough (for now)
6. disconnect one of your AT cooler hoses - preferably the return line..
7. plug the return line with a screw big enough to fit into the hose
8. add a hose to the other end and point it into a bucket or drain pan..
9. (2nd person is very handy with this next procedure) start your engine for a few seconds - doing this you are pushing out the oil that's left in the torque converter..
10. fill up again with new oil.. then repeat step 9 again..

you will have to repeat steps 9 & 10 for about 3-5 go before you start seeing new oils getting pumped out of your oil line..

*disclaimer* if you do this procedure, I cant be held liable for any damages made by you.. this procedure is what me & my dad use on auto transmissions..

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Urgh signed up with club Vr4 and waiting contact to become a Premium Member.

Iam guess the big 24 mm bolt on the rear of the diff is the drain hole ... looks like i need to get a bigger spanner

Diff as in transfer case? Dont touch that plug as it is the drain plug for the transfer case fluid.

The drain plug for the auto is on the sump and its a 17mm from memory?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Andrew, when removing that drain plug.. I suggest you use a socket rather than a spanner..

or a closed ended spanner..

G

Unregistered
Just follow the CVR4 procedure and you'll be all set.

But after reading Christian's post above - the main thing I wanted to point out before you rush off and buy sealant and a filter, is that our transmissions do not have a removable sump and that the internal filter is only accessible from the engine side of the transmission.. once the transmission has been fully removed from the car! So give that idea a miss.

Some variants had an additional external filter, and you can find this on top of the transmission in front of the air box if your model does indeed use one.

The transfer case drain plug is the big sucker which is on the bottom near the middle of the car. The transmission one is smaller and is on the side of the transmission behind the left hand wheel plastic wheel arch lining. The sizes quoted above sound about right.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
what I find stupid is the oil filter sitting at the top of the box.. do they at least have a guide for the oil to drip down to?

Sleepyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew Reddel
Drive
1997 Vr4 Legnum
Thanks all for the info after chatting with Meek yesterday there oil change prices are very reasonable so iam going to get them to perform it this time.

Rather get more comfortable with where things are on the car than screw something up.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I think they drain it from memory Christian. Very tired, but I sure don't remember them flushing anything....

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I think they drain it from memory Christian. Very tired, but I sure don't remember them flushing anything....

if they're just draining it, then they're only getting rid of half that old oil in the system.. the torque converter roughly takes 3-4L doesn't it?

Top Bottom