auto gearbox problem

jacob

Idling at the Lights
First Name
jake
Drive
red leggie with red pearl
does anyone have a pic of where the torque convertor seal leaks.. i was about to get my timing belt, water pump, plugs, etc. done and the other day noticed that the gearbox is leaking too.. my machanic hasn't had a look but i assume its the torque converter seal as this seams to be a problem, also should i get 10lt of oil to get the system flushed at the same time

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It leaks between the engine and the gearbox. You will need to get 10-12L of oil for most cars to flush out all the old stuff

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Welcome to the Torque Converter Seal club... Just hope you don't have to get the torque converter lip recon'd that'll add on another $400... :(

G

Unregistered
This problem is a worry ! How common is this problem ? I'm just about to buy my first vr4 and after having owned some very reliable cars, it seems that there are a few costly repairs to be sucked up in the vr4 guise. TBH this problem is the one that worries me the most. I checked up back home here in the uk and find a Torque convertor seal will be a £1000 fix it.
Omg i dont think i could ever drive hard my beloved 'to be' legnum. This is a pretty sad frame of mind to be driving a performance car. One which i never had before. This feeling is such a shame, if only i had been fortunate enough to own a new vr4 with 0miles, One to which i could drive hard all day long. Without the fear of another £500min - £2k repair bill every 6 months when something fails
Very sad.. ... .
But nothing is going to stop me experience one of the best value for money cars on the planet !! . . . .

Please more info on the failure rate of this bl00dy seal !! I keep reading more and more the more i surf.. .. . ;-)

G

Unregistered
The seal only costs a few pounds if you can do the work yourself. also in the UK there are a few places that will not charge this figure and as you''l have noticed on ClubVR4 there are quite alot of guys arond your area that may give a hand if you have any problems. A lot of the gearbox problems are down to old oil or being badly maintained.

G

Unregistered
Well thanks for that, and very encouraging. As soon as i get payed up with clubvr4 i can check out more info and hook up with more people. I am all up for doing any job myself on the legnum. Sadly lacking in tools and workshop manuals atm. Oh and a legnum, i have to wait until the end of the month before i even get near.. .. .
Thanks for that

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Just buy a car with a manual gearbox and you'll never have to worry ;)

RE workshop manuals, check out the link in my sig - those should hopefully be ready in another month. Invaluable resource if you intend to get your hands dirty under your car.

damian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Damian
Drive
2000 black legnum
Excuse my ignorance and not being all that mechanically minded... but what is the ramifications of this seal leaking? Is it just an oil leak on the driveway or are there technical problems that can occur if its not fixed?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
it can completely perish and let a lot of auto fluid out which means a $3500 or thereabouts gearbox rebuild

damian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Damian
Drive
2000 black legnum
it can completely perish and let a lot of auto fluid out which means a $3500 or thereabouts gearbox rebuild

Ouch!

Looks like i had better start saving for that extra when i do the timing belt etc in a few months.

Top Bottom