Auto to manual conversion

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
What do you mean by drop?

I did my manual conversion with the engine sitting in the "usual" position required for removing the gearbox.

I am guessing the whole engine needs to drop to mount the Clutch Cylinder?

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I thought the engine would have to be lowered to get the hole saw in there for the clutch. Just read on CVR4 that it is done from inside the car. Does anything have to be removed or can access be had easily?

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
I did it from inside. I did it without the brake pedal in place, but other than that I didn't have to remove anything additional to what you have to remove to do the pedal swap.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
OK found the spot under a bit of material, all the cutouts marked. Thanks!

Getting the back gearbox bolts off it a pain with the mount there and no leverage.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
does the hi-vis dash need to be changed? the auto dash has the gear selectors showing what gear you are in...I assume that once the conversion is done this cluster will function in every way except showing the gear selector?

And does a job like this require a hoist? Or could it be done on 4 jack stands? I have a mechanic mate that could do this job but doesnt have access to a hoist out of hours.

Last question, with the gearbox and all the other parts required for the conversion, do they all match up between series 1 and 2. I have a series 2 type s legnum. So there would be no issues using parts from a series 1 frontcut?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You can get by without a manual dash, you are exactly right there.

You can do it on 4 jack stands.

There are no problems using a prefacelift manual gearbox and putting it into your car.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
thanks Brad. So would doing the conversion on jackstands be an absolute pain in the ass, or is it not too bad?

DVR

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Danny
Drive
Delica mainly
I took the box out with stands with good height. An engine hoist is handy for lowering the box too. There's a fair bit of dismantling to do but as long as you're methodical it's not too difficult.

Read up beforehand on what's required to take off the transfer box. I improvised with the slide hammer and bolt. The axles easily pop out if you follow the guide on this site or one of the others.

With the box out there should be enough space to fit the hyraulic pipe etc.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Doing mine all on jack stands. Think they are on 410mm setting and look to have plenty of room under the car..

G

Unregistered
geez, i have had my manual pre facelift for a few weeks and wish i had an auto........i may do a manual to auto conversion down the track........just do a heap of traffic driving and the gears are too close and its pains me to change gears every two seconds.

Nick Mann

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Nick Mann
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4
Doing the change the other way round would be a LOT more tricky. Wiring looms would need changing and the gearbox ECU adding in. You'd have to change the rad and/or supply a cooler. Much trickier. I wouldn't want to do it.

Hank Scorpio

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lachlan
Drive
Mazda JC Cosmo, Mazda FC3C RX7 Convertible
Adam, if you wanna go manual -> auto it would be best trading cars with an auto owner I think. In general manual's are worth a little bit more and there will be more people wanting to go auto to manual then vice-versa.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Does the auto wiring loom need to be used for this? My mechanic seems to think it does but I was pretty certain it doesnt.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram so we can bypass the auto ecu? (apparantly by shorting the park sensor/switch wires together.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Kat posted up the Auto ECU pinout from memory, somewhere on here.

The auto ecu can come out of the car, i think all you have to do is fool the ecu into thinking the car is in park? That info is on here somewhere too.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
On the black connector to the gearbox, there are 2 big wires. One is Black with Yellow stripe the other is Black with Red stripe (was on mine anyway)

You just need to cut those wires and solder them together (then cover of course).

The other 2 wires on the same row are the reverse indicator wires which you can use to wire up the reverse by scrapping one of the plugs from the front fog light loom (pre facelift) and some other places by the look of things.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
my conversion is about half way through. Most major things are in, everything else just needs to be put back in now and do all the wiring.

My mechanic has asked me to find out how to bridge the neutral start switch? Does anyone know on here or would I be best off asking on CVR4 for a quick response?
Cheers

mchieff

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dennis
Drive
Legnum
I'd say that the park switch bridge above will do the same job

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
It would be good, if anyone who is switching to manual would put in this thread how much it cost them. Somewhere down the line I will switch to manual and it would be good to know what other's have paid so I know how much to save/know not to get ripped off.

gilly

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
My conversion is almost complete! Mechanic has driven the car today and all good so far! The main last thing that needs to be done is to hook up the speedo. Brad (or anyone else), do you know what needs to be done here? The gearbox is from a 96 manual Legnum, but I am using the standard dash from my 2000 legnum auto type s.

Bodbod

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jamie
Drive
Legnum
Does anyone one know what the 3 wires on that same black plug are for? Speed sensor? Ive wired the park wires together and done the reverse switch. But there are 3 wires left on the second row, yellow black/blue and black white. On the plug coming from the gearbox there is yellow black and white... anyone know?

Top Bottom