Auto Transmission oil/filter change

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
1999 White Legnum Type S Cold Spec with Recaros+Sunroof
I changed the auto trans oil and filter using the club vr4 "how to" guide. Thought i'd let everyone know thats is really quite easy to do yourself. I have nerver done any work on my cars before and the guide makes it really easy (the filter is a bit fiddly). It took me a coupe of hours as i'd not done it before, but with the guide its a great service that you can do yourself (not that much harder than a oil change) and save some $$:ROFLMAO:

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
you did the whole 10+ litres? Nice one!

So how'd you go roping in someone else to help you out pump the fluid?

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
Yeah managed to get a friend to help that has worked on cars before. The fluid that came out was chocolate brown. Shifts are really smooth now.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Actually, here's a good question. What the hell do you do with 10 litres of cooked chocolate? Here fishy fishy fishy :D

Seriously, cost of disposal at mechanics?

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
Any tips for draining the box?
I understand it's going to be a two person job, but am not sure what we are meant to do. :( A tango this is not.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
my advice is to join club vr4 (clubvr4.com). The guide has pictures and everything you need to do the change, makes it really easy. For the price you pay to join its cheep for the guides you get acces to

G

Unregistered
i definately covered my joining fee by finding a guide on removing the gearbox...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It isn't an easy job. The basic process is drop all the oil out of the gearbox, then put new stuff in it. Connect hoses up to the cooling lines and let the old stuff pour straight out, and have the other hose sucking up new stuff.

qball

1 AYC Bar
First Name
David
Drive
i had a hose conected to the side that pumps out and was pouring fluid down the fill pipe at the same time. it's heaps easier with 2 people, seemed to work really well

Top Bottom