badsub aka michelle // Perth - WA

G

Unregistered
bought her home tonight, was too dark too take pics, so will try to get some up tomorrow :)
is it normal for it to make a ticking type of noise for a few minutes of driving at first?
- just noticed it has a www.clubvr-4.com on either side of the car on the rear windows, past or current members car maybe?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
If the frequency of the ticking matches engine speed, I suspect hydraulic lifters/lash adjusters. Common fault covered in several threads on here detailing various methods to clean/service or just outright replace. A quick search should yield you plenty of good info :D

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Nice car... very nice, looks almost identical to mine, except you have TV aerials on the roof.

Planning on moving the "Bad Sub" numberplates across?

Kanagawa dealer sticker on the back, eh? I used to live there....

G

Unregistered
ahh, is that what they are? lol
when i eventually get around to it i will change the plates around :)
oh right, just thought it was some old dealership sticker around here somewhere

G

Unregistered
well the car has developed a worsening ticking type noise, worse on the first starts and especially early morning,
have taken it in to the mechanics and he has had a quick look, but it is going in to be pulled apart to find where it is coming from.
but its not the lifters...from the things he has listed could be big $$ considering i only bought it just over a fortnight ago and as it doesn't have a warranty and the dealer is refusing to help me i've had to resort to the statutory warranty thing, but they need a report from a mechanic to assess whether the problem is going to be covered as the car is over the 12yr limit :(
so very very not happy.....

G

Unregistered
heres a time i'm hoping he's wrong then lol

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
Record the sound and upload it on here everyone will soon tell u if it's ya lifters or not!! and I would say lifters too it's a very nasty sound.. One lifter has prob collapsed!! He just wants money off u! What's he said that makes u think it's going to be big cash??? Tell him his dreaming and go somewhere else

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I agree with these dudes, it would almost definitely just be lifters. If that's the case it doesn't really affect the running of your engine, it's just an annoying sound. Lots of people have had great results using an oil additive called Pro-Ma MBL8 or something along those lines. It's not very expensive and seems to have quietened or altogether killed lifter noise for the people who use it. Worth a go before you chuck thousands at a mechanic just to replace a few bung lifters.

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
Just a suggestion, perhaps try slightly ticker oil. they could have put oil that's too thin, it is a 10+ year old car. I use penrite 10w-40 in mine.

guanacosalsa

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Julio
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 - Type S
I vouch for both 10w-40 Penrite and the Pro-Ma MBL8 additive, I was using 10w-30 Valvoline and I still had a slight clicking from the engine when warm, but extremely noisy when cold. I would recommend the MBL8 additive, it has made a very noticeable improvement.

Requested

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joshua
Drive
1996 Toyota Soarer GT-L vvti x2, Legnum S2
could you explain more about the lifters and where and how to fix?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
heres a time i'm hoping he's wrong then lol

Wouldn't be the first time judging by this thread :p

It'll be the lifters. Put some Pro-Ma MBL8 in your oil if you want to find out in 5 seconds whether that is what it is.... That stuff shuts them up instantly :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Have a listen to old magnas and pajero's.... All mitsu's do it, the lifters are crap, it's not usually a problem. But post a video up of it so we can hear it.

G

Unregistered
he's said its possibly going to be, he's going over it properly on monday anyhow.
if i can figure out how and whre to upload a video to i will....ideas? lol
ok am going to go down to supercheap now to see if they have Pro-Ma MBL8,
but still vid uploading to where?

Top Bottom