Bang 4 Buck

G

Unregistered
Just wondering what you guys consider the better value for money performance mods for my (pretty much) stock VR4 Galant. Lists/approx costs would be great to help me get started. Thanks :)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Check out LeeButts members ride thread..... I think he has the biggest kW increase for the smallest $$$'s

Someone correct me if they got more than 50kW at the wheels for less ;)

He hs done Manual Boost, Exhaust, Cooler, Plugs and Air Filter from memory

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
IMO - Boost (as well as check/replace your plugs) then exhaust(including cat)

Keep in mind that more boost = more fuel consumption :)

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Check out LeeButts members ride thread..... I think he has the biggest kW increase for the smallest $$$'s

Someone correct me if they got more than 50kW at the wheels for less ;)

I'd say it's more like 35kw over stock :)

but thanks anyway!

G

Unregistered
Exhaust seems to be a common suggestion from ppl I've been speaking to. On stock turbos, 2.5' or 3"?

G

Unregistered
Best value for money would be a $30 manual boost controller then upping the boost

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
What everyone else has said, boost is the best mod, exhaust and intercooler should be next.

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
Wasn't your original Dyno about 125ish and your latest about 175?

The very first one I had done was 129kw but that is not what I call a 'stock' figure. From our QLD dyno days, stock is more like 140. The 129 was a 4th gear 'tuning' run by a shop looking to sell me performance mods ;)

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Best value for money would be a $30 manual boost controller then upping the boost

Sorry about this n00b question but....

What is the best setting for a stock VR4... Is there a good chance you may fark up your engine by setting the boost too high?

Also what are recommended boost controllers?

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Apparently from tuners about 12psi is apparently the most optimum pressure for our turbos..a very good mod to get is a piggy back unit or full engine management system...the gains that have been achieved from these make them very good value for money...over fueling is one problem that occurs with more mods and so loss of kw

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
So any particular brand/model recommendations?

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Some people have had pretty good results with SAFC's.......I think Frozen got about 35kw extra with it

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
just go the turbotech manual boost controller off ebay for $35 to your door,cant go wrong

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
Are they easy to install/use? Any chance you can take a few pics while you're installing it?

Top Bottom