Bang 4 Buck

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
prob go the turbotech mbc, since it's alot cheaper...

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
yer an takes about 5 days to arrive,its talked up in magazines and sau,the only pic ive got is of my engine bay ad u can see it in there
cleanerenginebay.jpg

we tucked mine away but you can just see it to the top right of the engine cover.
brent/outlanded hooked mine up and it took him the whole of 5 mins to do it and just like that my boost was set to 10psi

easy cheap mod that will do fine till down the track when/if i decide to get an aftermarket ecu

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Agreed re piggyback ECU. if you simply send more air through these engines with more boost or a bigger exhaust the ECU will overfuel resulting in less gains than you would otherwise expect.

I also believe a piggyback ECU like a miniceptor will prove to be a very good bang for buck mod, even for a mildly or even unmodded car. This is the package ive come up with for my Legnum as a good bang for buck package, for i estimate around 2 grand.

miniceptor
fuel pump - walbro GS432
Turbo back exhaust (RPW dump + custom cat back)
New spark plugs
trans cooler
upgraded driveline lubrications to amsoil.

will do all the labour myself except the dyno tune and exhaust fabrication.

Note the omission of an upgraded intercooler. Im still not sold on what is the best BFB upgrade for the Legnum, and i suspect some people may be trading off more in throttle response with the larger units (and big pipework) than they are picking up in improved cooling.
Im still awaiting some more quantitative data and experience to accumulate on the forums before i decide what is the best intercooler.

Also im not touching the intake or intake filter, filter is a brand new stock one.

i might get a cheap temp probe and monitor the intake temps on the stock intercooler with increased boost once the above mods are made.

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
What boost would you recommend running with a stock engine? 12psi or 14psi?

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
What boost would you recommend running with a stock engine? 12psi or 14psi?

Keep turning it up 1psi at a timeuntil your returns start to drop off.

This is an example only
eg. stock 7psi , 7+1psi, =10 hp gain, 8+1 = 10hp gain 9+1=10hp gain 10+1 +6hp gain. Stop there, all you're doing is excessively heating the inlet charge as the compressor has run out of its efficiency zone.

Yes you can only do this accurately on a dyno.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
i just set mine to 10 for the mean while until i replace the soft intercooler pipes

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT

This is an example only
eg. stock 7psi , 7+1psi, =10 hp gain, 8+1 = 10hp gain 9+1=10hp gain 10+1 +6hp gain. Stop there, all you're doing is excessively heating the inlet charge as the compressor has run out of its efficiency zone.

Great advice as always Simon. See? You can't sell your car, we'd be lost without you! ;)

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S

This is an example only

Wait you need to talk to me like I'm an idiot....

So 10psi is what you're saying is good? Is 12psi too much?... Also what is it stock? Like 7psi or something?

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
prefacelifts are something like 5 - 6 and facelifts are about 7-8 aparently,i may not be 100% correct but thats pretty close,im pre facelift and i noticed a difference just setting it to 10.
and i only did so because i heard stories of peoples stock blow off valves leaking with any more and also the soft pipes may blow off,ive had no troubles on 10 psi

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
i've had my intake pipe blow off multiple times - and yeah prefacelift auto = 6/7psi and its 8/9 for the manuals.. im running 12psi but any more than standard and you will run rich without fuel control of some sort eg. SAFC. 10 shouldn't be too big a problem.

Top Bottom