BC Racing coilovers - review

3M-TA3

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Daniel
Drive
BLACK MANUAL '97 LEGNUM
I will have three tanabe's in working order soon. And one with blown seal and broken spring if you like? Found the monkey in the wheel well! My bc's arrived today, took less than 48hrs to get here. $1100 no frieght and extenders for free. Just got to work out how to fit them. Will I need a spring compressor?

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
No you wont need a spring compressor. Although the rear original struts are a fiddle to get out when extended, i cant remember now but we may have used a compressor to compress the rears to help extract them. But if you dismantle enough i dont think you need compressor. (although they are only 20 bucks for cheapies)

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
defiantly dont need a spring compressor. the standard struts will simply drop out when unbolted.

the rears are a piece of piss, the front are a little more tricky tho. u will need to unbolt the upper control arm (bolts next to the strut top).

after driving around on my 10/6 spring rate coilovers for the last 6 months on average roads. i would defiantly not go a softer spring. if anything, i wish i had gone a 10/8 spring rate as the rear seem to have a little bit of body roll and not quite stiff enough when i got passengers in the back.

3M-TA3

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Daniel
Drive
BLACK MANUAL '97 LEGNUM
Got'em in on Saturday. Rears were easy enough, fronts were a bit of fun. They are much fatter than the tanabe's I took out. A lot more compact/shorter had to really crank them up high to get the ride height even close to before. Still got a bit to go. Working my way up from softest. 5 clicks on the front so far, will expect a bit more needed once they work in. Just need to get it a little higher. Can some one measure ground to under side of the wheel arch both of stock and moded. Just for curiosity.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
if anything, i wish i had gone a 10/8 spring rate as the rear seem to have a little bit of body roll and not quite stiff enough when i got passengers in the back.

You need a brace like I have under my car for the rear... Makes a HUGE difference. Chassis feedback increases ten-fold and stiffens the back end heaps. I'll never take it off and test it again lol

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
do you mean ralli-art or cuso underbody rear brace?

i think i thicker rear sway should do the same too

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
interesting. where did u get urs from?

Came on the car from Japan. Apparently its an uber-rare ralliart one. Eventually, myself and Hugh (matchtheclown) will be taking it off for measurements so he car fabricate them more-so for Galant owners as apparently the cusco style rear strut tower brace he made doesn't fit?

do you mean ralli-art or cuso underbody rear brace?

i think i thicker rear sway should do the same too

Ralliart. Swaybars will do the same thing but i'm not sure as to which would be more effective...

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
yeah i noticed u cant have a rear strut brace for a galant, seeing the rear seats are between the strut towers. but yeah, sway bars is the easiest solution. i mean with my spring rates, theres nothing wrong with them. but seeing how anal i am (god that sounded wrong), if i did it again, i would stiffen up the rear a bit more (that sounded worst).

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
wish i had gone a 10/8 spring rate as the rear seem to have a little bit of body roll and not quite stiff enough when i got passengers in the back.

Old thread i know, but this is what i am considering.

Because i am getting bigger wheels i want to get some new coilovers so i can stiffen up the rear. I have read so many reviews and am pretty set on the BC so i email the distributor and he said you can get ANY combo you like.

I was considering 8kg-6kg but after reading this thread am now considering 10kg-8kg.

How does everyones thoughts on theses stack up now?

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I've got them at 10/6 as well (but in a Legnum) and can't really say I would need stiffer. Having said that, I haven't chucked it around a corner with a boot full of gear or a back seat full of passengers, so may be a different story then. I did go camping with a full boot (rear seats folded down) and it felt fine, didn't really hammer it around any bends though.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Galant/Legnum may be different in "best setup" but I can't comment on which way :p

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Old thread i know, but this is what i am considering.

Because i am getting bigger wheels i want to get some new coilovers so i can stiffen up the rear. I have read so many reviews and am pretty set on the BC so i email the distributor and he said you can get ANY combo you like.

I was considering 8kg-6kg but after reading this thread am now considering 10kg-8kg.

How does everyones thoughts on theses stack up now?

10/6 or 10/8 is personal preference really. I think it's been talked at depth in the coilovers thread.

The reason I would go 10/8 next time is due to having the dampening set to nearly the stiffest setting with the 6 rear spring rate. At least with 8 at the rear I would have a bit more adjustability.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I vote for 10/8 as well. I have about 12/9 in my VR-4 and it is great. The ride is starting to get a bit uncomfortable when driving normally, but when chucking it around corners the car feels outstanding.

teppei

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Henry
Drive
Black Type-V MT Galant VR4 '99
Just got a set of BR series last week, waiting to install in the two weeks.
but one down thing is it didn't come with the camber top plate -_-"
i have contacted the seller about the plates, still waiting for reply. There could be a possiblility BC Racing hasn't make the camber top plate for B-01 http://www.bcec.com.tw/products_app/APP-BR-RA.htm#M1 (they make camber top plates for all Mitsu models 'except' B-01, damn!)

so now i have to find a way to adjust the cambers
005.JPG
006.JPG

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
If Eddy is around, would he care to comment on how the BC coilovers are going now that he has had them in his car for a couple of years??

Also, does anyone have any reports of how these coilovers (in any model) go with semi-regular track work? i.e. are they up to the task??

Top Bottom