Best Manual Gearbox Oil?

leekscurlock

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lee
Drive
VR4 Legnum
Hey guys i did my first oil change today and was plesantly suprised at how easy it was so im going to do my gear box next.
Is there a thread on how to change manual gearbox oils? i havent been able to find one if there is.

Next question is what is the best oil for a manual gearbox? iv heard that castrol vmx is meant to be pretty good? Is anyone using amsoil svg and if so who does it compair to the castrol (I belive that there is vmx in there atm).

Any help would be much appreciated
Lee

G

Unregistered
http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165&highlight=gearbox

what ever you buy it MUST be strictly GL4 ONLY

not gl5/6 or gl4 compatible,
if the container says meets & exceeds the standards of gl4 and 5 dont buy it!

gl5 is not a better product its completely different,

VMX appears to be the best all round value/performance.

and amsoil severe gear is not recommended for the gearbox, (only transfercase and rear diff)
i also know of one legnum vr4 driver who used amsoil in the gearbox and dumped it because of cold start and gear engaugement issues.

G

Unregistered
I'm using Redline MT-90, not too bad. Bit harder to come by though, you can get them at either Coventry's or AutoOne.

G

Unregistered
Mates has trailed numerous oils in his evo's etc etc and found that Castrol Syntrax 75W 90 was the best and stopped notchy synchros

G

Unregistered
I thought it was Syntrans (GL-4) that you wanted, not Syntrax (GL-5)?

leekscurlock

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lee
Drive
VR4 Legnum
Thanks Carsten i must be blind. So the VMX is the best value oil but what is the best performance? My gearbox is quite notchy and doesnt like to go into first unless i put it into 3rd or 4th first. I really want to cure the nochyness so maybe the Castrol Syntrax or Syntrans (which every is correct) would be best? Does any one else use the Syntrax or Syntrans?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
As I said, I'm very happy with VMX in mine, it lets me change into any gear when the car is cold.

anthony

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
tony
Drive
Rare Manual Legnum VR-4
As I said, I'm very happy with VMX in mine, it lets me change into any gear when the car is cold.
I use Amsoil manual transmission oil which is fine in the cold no problem with selecting gears, and its colder over here

G

Unregistered
I'm using Redline MT-90, not too bad. Bit harder to come by though, you can get them at either Coventry's or AutoOne.

The Redline MT-90 is 75W90 GL-4 and if you are in Melbourne you can get this from Oil World in Moorabbin, but it's a bit pricey. You can also buy online from their Australian website. I think about $40 a quart last time I checked. Be careful you buy enough as one quart only equals 0.946 litres.

Australian site with MSDS & Tech Sheets

You really do want GL4, not GL5

Yes, GL-5 is not usually recommended for synchro gearboxes as it can contain sulphur-phosphorus which causes corrosion of the brass components of the synchros.

Thanks Carsten i must be blind. So the VMX is the best value oil but what is the best performance? My gearbox is quite notchy and doesnt like to go into first unless i put it into 3rd or 4th first. I really want to cure the nochyness so maybe the Castrol Syntrax or Syntrans (which every is correct) would be best? Does any one else use the Syntrax or Syntrans?

The MT-90 will help with this. My results weren't as good as some raving reviews I've read, but it did make a big improvement still.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
For quality oils and plugs try here: http://www.performancelub.com/

I will say that I am in no way affiliated with this guy, but I have bought numerous plugs and redline oil through him over the last 2 years with no problems. Just want to share the savings.

leekscurlock

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lee
Drive
VR4 Legnum
Hey again ever one, well i ended up biting the bullet and went for the syntrans 75w85 gl4, written on the back of the bottle it says that its reccomended for VR4 galants and as its meant ot be good for the syncros i thought it's worth a try.
I am extremely happy with it, its a lot smoother than the old VMX that was in there before, its a lot less notchy and slips into gear with a lot less effoer, it is 3 times the price of VMX though. I ended up buying 3 litlre bottles at $30 a pop as opposed to VMX- $11 per litre, so its not cheap but its pretty decent, and as its going to be in there for 10k kms i guess its not that bad really.
So all in all i would highly recommend syntrans 75w85, hope this helps people decided on what to go for next.

G

Unregistered
i did mean Syntrax 75w90. He has tested all oils available here in his numerous EVO's. And the best one that he found that stopped sticky synchros etc was the syntrax 75w90.

Castrol Syntrax 75W-90
Full synthetic SAE 75W/90, API GL5. manual transmission, transaxle and rear axle lubricant with outstanding extreme pressure, synchronizer and high temperature performance. For vehicles that combine gearbox and hypoid diffs, rear axles of light cars and secondary drive axles of 4WD vehicles

G

Unregistered
Interesting, couple of the EvoOZ guys said the same thing, they use Syntrax (GL-5) and report no problems. But saying that, other people say they used the exact same stuff and it was horrible and then tried Syntrans and it worked better.

Example

But saying that, if you are using a particular product and it's working for you, why change?

I am extremely happy with it, its a lot smoother than the old VMX that was in there before, its a lot less notchy and slips into gear with a lot less effoer, it is 3 times the price of VMX though.

Great to hear Lee, will likely give this a go at my next change. The price difference is probably due to the Syntrans being Fully Synthetic, whereas VMX is Mineral I'm pretty sure

G

Unregistered
Hj-61 have you tried this oil in your vr4? (Castrol Syntrax 75W-90
Full synthetic SAE 75W/90, API GL5)
I'm thinking of giving it a go.

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
Hj-61 have you tried this oil in your vr4? (Castrol Syntrax 75W-90
Full synthetic SAE 75W/90, API GL5)
I'm thinking of giving it a go.

DONT!!!! READ BELOW FOR THE REASON WHY!!!

http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165&highlight=gearbox

what ever you buy it MUST be strictly GL4 ONLY

not gl5/6 or gl4 compatible,
if the container says meets & exceeds the standards of gl4 and 5 dont buy it!

gl5 is not a better product its completely different,

VMX appears to be the best all round value/performance.

and amsoil severe gear is not recommended for the gearbox, (only transfercase and rear diff)
i also know of one legnum vr4 driver who used amsoil in the gearbox and dumped it because of cold start and gear engaugement issues.

DVR

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Danny
Drive
Delica mainly
Gly, Brad and Paul's suggestions to avoid GL5 oils are very valid. Don't just judge a lubricant by how sweet the gear changes are.

These gearboxes have different loadings to a conventional manual box like that in a Commodore or Falcon. It is critical that any oil must be suitable for transaxles. Unlike a conventional box, transaxles also have the differential sharing the same lubricant. GL5's may work very well coping with the extreme pressures of the diff but the additives used to cushion those loads can be highly corrosive to the brass used in the syncro rings. Consequently within a shorter time than expected, crunching gear changes may develop.

Similarly any oil that says it's GL4 and good for gearboxes may not have the additives that preserve c/w and pinions. In which case you could have whining from a prematurely worn out diff.

Redline has been found by many Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari etc to be a suitable oil for their transaxles. Check out the technical info on Redline's web site regarding their transaxle lubricants.

There are some new GL5's that have been designed to be suitable for transaxles without accelerating syncro wear. Castrol, I believe, now have some. But if used I'd suggest draining and checking for golden coloured swirls after a few thousand k's. If it is light, there will always be some, reusing it maybe ok. If there seems to be too much that could be the brass syncros slowly disintegrating.

There was a time when using oils designed for autos would be used in manual gearboxes but these days there are better lubricants available.

Oh and given a choice, it's easier and usually cheaper to replace syncros than differentials so whatever oil is used, do make sure it's suitable for transaxles.

Top Bottom