Biggest compressor housing for turbos

6A13TT TYPE S

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Adam
Drive
1999 Legnum VR4 Type S
compounding is complicated with the wastegating and intake piping as there are a few different ways to go about it but if done correctly it can be great. especially if you choose a secondary turbo which is most efficient in the pressure ratio at which it will be operating on boost.
the most common way is to have all the cylinders feed into the primary (smaller) turbo's turbine, as this brings it onto boost the fastest.
Then when the small turbo is on boost the wastegate controlling the flow to the primary turbo opens, both the outlet of the primary turbo and the primary turbo wastegate combine back together to spool the secondary turbo.
also the secondary turbo compressor outlet blows air back into the primary turbo. this is beacuse the small turbo will flow more air at higher pressures, so becomes less of a restriction this way.

there are other ways of doing it but are more complex.
some have shut off valves in the exhaust to divert the exhaust to the small or large turbo which I guess is more of a sequential turbo system
some have one way valves between the secondary turbo outlet and the throttle body, this is so the primary turbo cant blow air backwards though the secondary turbo until the secondary turbo comes onto boost. this method removed any restriction which could be posed by the smaller primary compressor.

the diesel crowd use compounding heaps thats how they get 100odd PSI of boost comfortably. however they do chew out thrusts on turbos faster than tyres.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
The Legacies have a sequential setup - only one turbo is active at a time. It's got all sorts of piping and stuff to divert exhaust flow from one turbo to another.

I don't think that's quite right. I think the legacy goes from just 1, to both. Kind of what I'd like to do, except going from 2 little ones, to a '3 piece feed' :p

wintertidenz

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
98 Galant VR4
Just asked my Subaru loving friend, and yes you are correct. However it's still sequential not compound - they are both spooling together, but not directing the flow of one turbo into the inlet of another to be further compressed.

What you want to really do is a compound setup though, not a sequential - which is the large turbo before the two smaller turbos (so the feed from the large one goes into the smaller ones) - this will give you a lot more power and also help prevent you losing your drivetrain all over the road, because it's a more gradual boost.

Top Bottom