Block prone to crack once overheated??

quincy777

Crunching Gears
First Name
Cam
Drive
Legnum VR4
Hi guys,
I have had some major drammas with my new leggy.
it is 2001 black manual sourced from NZ with the eyes and driving of Brad (thanks again mate)
Anyway since getting it towards the end of last year I have spent a shit load on it to get it how I wanted it and fun to drive.

FMIC
18 inch rims
custom leather
Full 3inch exhaust and dumps
HKS panel filter
and now the brain and probs Link G4 ECU

When the Link was put, the car got badly overheated, as LINK did not recognise the fan so up went the temp on dyno and my first drive up the end of street.
Resulting from was head gasket gone - So I decided to do water pump, all belts, gaskets, idlers etc at the same time as I didn't know the car.

Got the car back made 196KW but shit until 4rpm (not your normal leggy)
So took it back again and found that the head is cracked!!! So a full head overhaul is now going to happen.

Despite nearly having a new engine at the end of all this.. Does anyone know if our cars overheat bad enough to crack the head - as in my case, does this also effect the block??

Cheers
Cam

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
The engine bay can get very warm, I guess it depends on just how long it was driven without the fans running. I would be making sure that the Link installers pay for all the work though!

I'd love to see pics of it now Cam, that was truely a stunning Legnum.

quincy777

Crunching Gears
First Name
Cam
Drive
Legnum VR4
Yes they are paying for it this time, last time we went halfs due to all the other stuff. Will get some pics up soon.

G

Unregistered
Yes they are paying for it this time, last time we went halfs due to all the other stuff. Will get some pics up soon.

Sorry to hijack..:redface: i am about to buy a link g4 in the next week or so if i can keep to my savings. I assume you went with the G4 Extreme?

Do you know if the people who did your install would be interested in confirming the configuration on the pinouts? I am looking to make a plug in loom adapter using an old ecu i have butchered, but it would be fantastic to find out any of the peculiarities from someone whose got it up and (almost) running.

Especially any teething issues you have had.

Hope you get your issues sorted soon..

Top Bottom