Blown exhaust valve 1992 VR4

richard

Idling at the Lights
First Name
richard
Drive
1992 mitsubishi VR4 Galant / 1972 alfa romeo GTV 105
Hi everyone. This my first post and sadly it relates to my normally wonderful 1992 galant VR4... which after 5 years of faultless driving - has blown an exhaust valve. At first I'd hoped that it was just a dodgy injector or lead - but unfortunately my local mechanic confirmed that it was indeed the exhaust valve.

He's quoted around $2500 to fix it - but I'm wondering whether anyone can suggest a mechanic in Melbourne who is familiar with VR4's. My mechanic is great with my old V8 commodore workhorse, but I'd feel more comfortable with someone who knows their way around the rather more sophisticated VR4.

Thanks!

Richard Andrew, North fitzroy

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Your 1992 VR-4 has a different engine to most of the cars on this forum - this place is primarily about the 8th gen models which use a 6A13TT and not a 4G-based engine. You might have better luck asking on an Evo or 4G-specific forum.

That being said, (most) every (piston) engine has exhaust valves, even V8 commodore workhorses. The only thing I can think of that would make it difficult for a mechanic would be if they've never worked on an engine with overhead cams before.

Someone who has more experience with 4G engines and valve work can probably contribute more than I can.

(edited to stop nitpickers lol)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Also - post up a thread in the Introductions area and tell us about your cars :)

GVR40

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Craig
Drive
VR4 Galant
the guys on 4gtuner know a lot about these engines, if you get on there and ask for some advice they will be able to help you out, they may even come and help you do the work. i have done plenty of 4g63 head rebuilds on my e39a and it isn't too hard to do if you know what you are doing.

richard

Idling at the Lights
First Name
richard
Drive
1992 mitsubishi VR4 Galant / 1972 alfa romeo GTV 105
G'Day Craig, thanks for the 'heads up'. I'll check them out.

Cheers,

Rich

Top Bottom