Bolt-in 40mm VR4 radiator!!!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I've found a complete bolt in, no mods required 40mm aluminium radiator for the Galant/Legnum. Actually Tevor or godzilla put me onto him, but he obviously didin'nt share it with any of us:mad: So I'm making amends for that:p

Have a read here for the pics http://ozvr4.com/forums/showpost.php?p=86700&postcount=420

It is available from http://www.michaelautoparts.com.au/c/33/Mitsubishi.html

He has both 26mm stnadard and 40mm cores. Very easy to deal with and the fastest delivery time ive experienced.

Currently the 40mm core isn't listed on the website, but the code number is GP1494. Both these cores are for manual gearbox only, autos will need to fit a separate cooler.

Plus, its in Aus :bigsmile:

Hope this helps a a few people

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Just removed the first line about it being in the right place so this post is easier to prview from searches and menus

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Actually Tevor or godzilla put me onto him, but he obviously didin'nt share it with any of us:mad: So I'm making amends for that:p

:p
Oops,
Well i wasn't lucky like you and given the 40mm Rad as replacement for the 26mm
I have to credit Kevin (VR4Rocket) for putting me on to them;)

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
What is the benefit of this?

Cheers
Noob - Tomas

G

Unregistered
Larger core means more cooling efficiency.

They do look nice, makes me want to put a crack in my current one just so I can grab this :)

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
What is the benefit of this?

Cheers
Noob - Tomas

For starters upgrading to an alloy rad almost completely eliminates the possibility of cracks ( as the standard plastic unit tends to do always )
And if you were to go with the thicker version you will find just that bit extra cooling capacity when the car is either exposed to very hot conditions or you are fanging it round a track.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Has anyone fitted this guy's intercooler piping kit? Because they seem cheaper than the competition...

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Has anyone fitted this guy's intercooler piping kit? Because they seem cheaper than the competition...

Ya was going to say same thing - but next cheapest is this:
STAGE 2 FOR JUST $575 plus delivery.:
• Bar and Plate INTERCOOLER 600x260x76
• 2 x Silicone hoses of 2.5"
• 2 x Aluminium intercooler piping of 2.5"
• 4 x Stainless steel hose T-bolt clamps
• Power steering cooling kit from USA
• Silicone vacuum hose (3mm thickness)

and you can pick it up

but this http://www.michaelautoparts.com.au/p/60/-MITSUBISHI--95-98--GALANT--6T--13A-Intercooler.html

with pipes
http://www.michaelautoparts.com.au/p/276/Mitsubishi-Galant-95-99-6A13T-Intercooler-Pipe-Kit.html
adds up to 500 plus postage so lets say 540 on the high side

we still need :

• Power steering cooling kit

so not sure if its cheaper but maybe if yo were to get it all at once with the radiator - mabe you can argue the price!?

How much do you think for:

• Power steering cooling kit

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Not sure of the price of the silicone hose but i have seen P/S coolers, new, for well under a hunge on ebay.

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Quick question, the 26mm radiator on the site is specific to the VR4 but the original post links to the fact that the 40mm one will bolt on.
Issue: "{Turns out it was the 40mm verision so for you techno's out there 718x375x40mm
Its a drop in replacement, yep i didn't have to change a thing And best of all the standard fans bolt on:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Couldn't believe it]" - QUOTE from Jungle:

The 40mm version has dimensions of '92-'98 MITSUBISHI EVO I & II MT 375X658X40mm
and the 26mm has dimensions of '96-'01 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 6A13T AT 375x718x26mm

Jungle, did you misquote the dimensions for the 40mm or does it literally bolt on even though the dimensions above state that the 718x375 is actually 26mm

and on another note.
I have never been happier to find out I have a slow leak in my current radiator..

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
And Jungle, Bueller, anyone.....

Is this something that is fairly straight forward to do yourself. I am not mechanically minded, but have enough common sense to change most basic things myself, so with this in mind, is it recommended? (radiator swap out)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
It is very easy for manual owners. You undo the 4 bolts at the top that hold the radiator in place, open the drain and let the water run out into a bucket. Disconnect the radiator hoses and get 500ml of green water spilled over you, disconnect the fan cable, remove the front part of the air intake and lift the radiator and fans out.

Swap the fans across, then basically reverse the procedure above and make sure you fill it up with water :D

For Auto's you need to bypass the factory trans cooler as this sits in the bottom of the radiator. Either install a cooler at the same time or use an aftermarket one you already have. You'll need to top the gearbox up with ATF as well.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Alex if you read through Simon's Members Ride thread you'll see that there are two different part numbers for the 40mm deep rads, one's for an Evo (the one you can find) but the one that Simon's talking about is specifically for galants. It isn't actually listed on the site (that I could find), you'll have to ring them and order it.

VR4sum

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
2009 Toyota Kluger
Alex if you read through Simon's Members Ride thread you'll see that there are two different part numbers for the 40mm deep rads, one's for an Evo (the one you can find) but the one that Simon's talking about is specifically for galants. It isn't actually listed on the site (that I could find), you'll have to ring them and order it.

Cheers Trev, Ill call Michael tomorrow

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Correct, The evo rad is a slightly smaller size. The 40mm is the same dimension as standard, just 40mm thick.
And as i said in my members ride thread, the 40mm has a different part number and isn't listed on the website.

G

Unregistered
Is it feasible to cool the power steering using the auto cooler on the radiator if you have an external cooler for your automatic or a manual legnum?

G

Unregistered
You can just fit an atf cooler for the power steering as well rather than use the one on the radiator

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Rob - no real point in doing that. See the ATF cooler that runs through the bottom of the radiator isn't really a cooler, more of a stabiliser designed to keep the oil at around 90C. The PS oil doesn't need to be that high and temps that high are in fact detrimental.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
For Auto's you need to bypass the factory trans cooler as this sits in the bottom of the radiator. Either install a cooler at the same time or use an aftermarket one you already have. You'll need to top the gearbox up with ATF as well.

does this mean us autos only need an aftermarket auto trans cooler to fit this radiator,because i was told to do this we'd also need an inline thermostat somewhere in the line as its in the radiator as well??

but if all we need is a line out of the transmission to a cooler then a return line straight back into it then ill definately be going the bette radiator soon.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I've edited the first post to clear up coolers for auto's

Top Bottom