Boost Leaking

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
I am sure I have a boost leak somewhere at the moment.....just seems a bit sluggy sometimes but then others it is fine....where would the boost leak most likely occur? All the seals round my metal fabrications seem fine...the hosing going to the Boost controler looks fine...where else is there to check?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
could be a combination of octane and air temp that is causing the problems?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Mine was a bit like that after it was serviced actually.... They changed the throttle body sensor when they did the service and i though it was sometimes more sluggish than others.

Then i got EBC and it was fast all the time :D

Temperature here makes a noticable difference on performance, especially when hot with air con........

Dawso

G

Unregistered
wouldnt you hear the bov if it was leaking? maybe vac lines if your idle is slightly lower and rough.. ?????

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
If it was indeed a boost leak, wouldn't it lose power while trying to make higher boost only, and do it ALL the time?

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
yeah I was pushing down on the accelorator and the car seemed to cut then boost again...I had this before and found I had a split near the boost controller I had put in..this time that seems to be fine...I do have a factory BOV so this could be a problem

G

Unregistered
if its hitting a boost cut check the acuator hoses, cause if one is split it will just keep boosting and the controller cant control anything

Zild

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
1998 VR4 Galant
Are you running electronic boost control?
Check your BoV if its stock. If its aftermarket and not plumbed back, stick your hand over it while car is idling, you shouldn't be able to feel any air movement in or out.!

G

Unregistered
apparently the GTO's have a problem with the o-rings on the turbo compressor outlets... not sure if the vr4's suffer from it

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Hmmmmm I have noticed I have a boost leak problem again....if I take it to a garage can they normally find the problem? Would they know where to look? I think I may just get a new 8MR blow off valve and see if that is the problem....

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I had a similar problem... my BOV looked like this however :)

stealthboveh7.jpg

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Yeah I dont think that is my problem BUT never know....I purchased a 8MR from JAS Racing today so will hopefully get that in soon - Cheers Lee - so as they install that I will get them to check for other leaks.....got to get it done before Dyno Day

Top Bottom