Bostons + Alpine

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Scored meself a pair of Boston Acoustics RC620 splits and an Alpine CDA 9887 head unit for $500 all up. Quite a nice little pickup! (y)

These will be installed soon as i develop a clue about how to wire it up!:confused:

Anyone wanna swing by n gimme a hand lol?:lol:

Any recommendations for rear speakers to compliment the Bostons? I've got the factory subwoofer/center speaker on the parcel shelf (not sure what it is exactly, it hardly makes more than a crackle) and i'm wondering if it's worthwhile replacing it or just disconnecting it and leaving it when i replace the rear speakers.

Boston rc620.jpg
cda-9887.jpg

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
wiring the head unit should be easy, you just go to repco/autobahn or whatever and get a wiring adaptor to suit your car and head unit, so it just plugs right in. There is 2 Mitsubishi adaptors, cant remember which one we need? someone else will know.

I wouldnt have a clue how to wire the rest of it up :p

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
wiring the head unit should be easy, you just go to repco/autobahn or whatever and get a wiring adaptor to suit your car and head unit, so it just plugs right in. There is 2 Mitsubishi adaptors, cant remember which one we need? someone else will know.

I wouldnt have a clue how to wire the rest of it up :p

Congrats on the purchase; thats some nice gear.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
This is the wiring harness number
"Aerpro #AP7011."

I can confirm that the AP7011 is the correct part as I brought one and a matching wiring harness for a Pioneer head unit which I fitted just the other day.

I went into Autobarn at Slacks Creek and spoke to the female sales rep, she's been there for years now and really knows her stuff. Gave her the Aeropro number and she asked me the model of the new head unit. She took off and within a few minutes was back with both plugs.

Plugged the two together then into the factory wiring harness, hooked up the blue trigger wire for my amp plugged in the RCA's into the back of the head unit and the job was just about done.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Any recommendations for rear speakers to compliment the Bostons?

Some decent gear there.

Will you be running an amp to power the Bostons?

The rear speakers are far less important than the front speakers. Therefore, all you will need is a set of 2 way coaxials, around 50 watts rms and no more than $75 or so. Ideally, you will run these off the head unit and run them high and low passed.

Believe it or not but some audiophiles do not even run rear speakers. The theory is that depending on power and range, rear speakers can affect and drag back your front stage. In my own set up, I do not run rear speakers and you wouldn't even notice they weren't there ;)

Regarding the DIY install, unless you are proficient in stereo installs and know what you're doing, I'd recommend a professional to assist. This is not just from a safety perspective but also from a sound quality point of view. Great gear installed poorly will not sound great. Average gear installed well will sound good. In short, the way to a good sounding stereo is one part quality components and another part quality install - don't compromise on either!

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I run no rear speakers.... Invest in a good sub and 4ch amp to run them. You'll love me forever :)

Pretty sure Derek (mookers) is near you. He's not bad with audio gear and would help you out i'm sure.

The wiring harness you'll need (If you take that option, I know I did and it was MUUUUUUCH simpler) will be the same one that fits an FTO, assuming you can't the one Pete has provided :)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Pretty sure Derek (mookers) is near you. He's not bad with audio gear and would help you out i'm sure.

Damn you Dawso, you dibber dobber! lol

I'd be happy to help you out Alex, if we can figure out a time we're both free. I'll have to clear it with my family as I'm on holidays until the 4th and have been hanging out with my kids as well as my parents who are visiting from overseas. At the moment it looks like New Year's Day might be available.

Note that my workmanship is not up to the level that Bruce is referring to - if a bulletproof fully sound-deadened audiophile install is what you want, I'm not the guy lol

I got my wiring harness from Autobarn in Frankston - I think I just gave them the part number and that was it.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Yeah I strongly agree get an amp for those Boston splits. You can get a 2 channel or a four, bridge channel 3&4 and run a sub to.

Running an amp can make the install easier,
Head unit
BLACK-Earth
RED -Accessories
ORANGE or YELLOW-12v+
BLUE-Amp
RCA's-Amp

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
Eventually when funds permit, i'll run an amp for the Bostons.... Off work 'til god-knows-when with no pay (being a tradie has its downsides)

Mookers, i might just take you up on that offer, i'll have to check with the Boss first for a suitable time...

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
My setup is Alpine iDA-X100 headunit, SPR-17LS front splits running off a 2x100wRMS Jaycar amp, rear factory 6x9s running off the headunit, SWR-1222D sub running off a 1x500wRMS (bridged) Jaycar amp. The rears are only running purely to provide a little rear fill.

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
Score! Heading off to pick up two amps and a sub this evening. A workmate wants to swap them for my old xbox 360 (I has two) as his one broke and he's bored out of his mind.

OVR444

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brett
Drive
2004 Mirage
Score! Heading off to pick up two amps and a sub this evening. A workmate wants to swap them for my old xbox 360 (I has two) as his one broke and he's bored out of his mind.

haha can't complain about that! keep us updated on their specs and how you go with the install mate :)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I'm now busy until mid-afternoon so if you want my help it'll have to be after that...

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
Another score! Picked up a Boston Accoustics GT42 amp:drool:, new battery terminal thingy, Alpine ipod/iphone interface plug, about eleventeen hundred meters of Stinger RCA cables and speaker wire and some other goodies for next to nothing, off the same guy i got the head unit and splits from.

Starting the install today, wish me luck! And if anyones not working and wants to help out be my guest haha!:p

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
Trust me buy a car with AFAIK non-standard factory wiring..... The plug in the back of the factory unit has six wires in it.... Blue, White/Blue, White/Black, Red/Black, Black/Yellow, Green/White.

04012010390.jpg

04012010389.jpg

Pic quality is crap, took them with my phone.

So frustrated. GAHHHHHH o_O

Edit: Looks like i have the same premium sound system as Cam1018. This'll be fun...

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
Install Complete!

Finally finished. The wiring in the boot's an absolute abortion, so that needs to be tidied, and the sub and amps need to be mounted permanently, but it runs, and it'll do for a few days...:cautious:

Unknown to me, one of the RCAs was already dead.... plugs fell off the end while i was plugging in the sub amp:angry:. Ran a temp cable under the rear seat, under the floor mats and up into the console, it'll have to do until i can be bothered ripping up kick panels and door sills again!!

Specs:

Alpine CDA 9887 HU
Boston Acoustics GT42 4-ch amp powering;
Boston Accoustics Rally RC620 splits in the front and
Factory rear speakers
Kicker IX402 amp running a 12" Orion sub.

Sounds ok...

I'll need someone with some DIY and neat-wiring talent to come wave a magic wand at the boot some day!

Top Bottom