Buying VR4 in SA.

G

Unregistered
Hi,

I've recently sold my S13, and I'm considering picking up a VR4.

Noticed this ad on carsales. (hope link works)

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8228177

Semi-Automatic 1998 VR-4S with 73,000km for $10,000 (not currently registered but complianced and past regency inspection)

Seem suss to anyone else? The ad claims to have full log books and all papers, but it doesn't seem quite right. 73,000km seems awfully low for the price.

I'm considering taking a took at it. Apart from general wear and tear indicating it's done more than 73,000km, what should I be looking for?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Ask for the auction sheet or export certificate - will have the kms as marked when the vehicle left Japan.
Other than that, I enquired about this car and it was aparently a test car for a new RAWs workshop opening up in Adelaide, so being a test car it should be fairly immaculate.

However, check the usuals as found in the "how to buy a VR4 thread"

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
I think LOL because there is no "semi" about it.
Its an automatic transmission. It has a "tip tronic" mode but has planetary gear sets and an torque converter

Semi-Auto generally relates to electronically controlled manual, or DSG as commonly referred to due to VW using this tag ;)

Mac Dog

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Macca
Drive
Red 1997 Legnum
I was laughing at the terminology. I just had this vision of a semi-automatic Legnum/sub-machine gun.

I'll go away now. hahah!

G

Unregistered
I BOUGHT it =) PROUD OWNER

Grats! Wondered when someone would buy it . . .

Came really close to taking a look at it, but decided that a VR4 is probably too big for what I'm after.

Currently trying to find a S15.

Anyway, let us know how it goes.

Temptation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
JJ
Drive
VR4
oh man....it is awesome. I picked up the car at around 8pm....and the first thing i had done to it is...a NICE CLEAN WASH.. =).

The owner said that i need to regas the A/C, now a question has just arise for me...does during the import process, do they leak the gas on the ac?

Another problem was that the owner said during the passing of regency they ripped out all the tints on the car and lefted with a yucky sticky paste on the glass and i cannot even open the windows because its stuck.

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
Congrats Jimmy

they degas the car in Japan (or should) before export and it should be regassed during compliance in Aus. No big deal if it hasnt been done, its $99 at sinergy or an aircon place

they shouldnt have had to remove the tint but cleaning it up might need some elbow grease. If you dont get the tint re-done and leave it to the tinting guys to sort out, you can buy some eucalyptus oil, that stuff removes anything - use an old rag and go for it, wouldnt take more than a couple of hrs, but you may have to remove the door cards to get a proper clean

Temptation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
JJ
Drive
VR4
Yeh just relise that, I used the turps to get it out with a blade. But the there was more within the door which i need to open the panel up. So for now I;m leaving it.

Got the AC regassed at electroserve down at magil today for 160, they said that they need to put the dye inside to check to see if there was any leakage. Now its super cool =) N loving it

bogan bob

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Dion
Drive
'15 Amarok
ah good stuff, hopefully theres no leak

magill hey, sounds like you re out my way

Top Bottom