Testing & Buying VR4 coil packs

justmewa

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Andrew Holmes
Drive
1996 Legnum VR4, 67 Mini Cooper S, 96 Verada etc
Hi

I am new to the forums, so hope I have not just missed the answers I need.

Just bought a 1996 Legnum VR4 V6 Turbo with a nasty misfire when pushed hard.

It appears coils are a likely cause. (That's what owner said) I got a replacement from a wrecker, but does not seem to help a lot. (tried in each of the 3 spots)

I am wondering if anyone knows a way for mortals to test the coil packs.

I tried checking resistance, and got open circuit on 2-3 connectors using a digital meter, but when I used an analogue guage got readings. Then tried the diode test mode and got better readings.

I bought a new coil off ebay for MITSUBISHI FTO DE3A 6A12 2.0L V6 LANCER CE 4G92 1.6L IGNITION COIL which was physically identical, but resistance readings are hugely different. Not willing to try it in case it damages the ECU.

I have access to a standard CRO and it might be able to read the spark waveforms, but not while I am driving;)

I really don't want to spend $7-800 on 3 genuine coils and find no difference.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Andrew

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Misfire under load is more often a problem with the spark plugs. Not only that, but a common problem too.

rooks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2005 ST246 Caldina GT4
Hi Andrew,

Does your check engine light come on? got an evoscan cable that can read any error codes on the ecu. where abouts are you?

justmewa

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Andrew Holmes
Drive
1996 Legnum VR4, 67 Mini Cooper S, 96 Verada etc
Hi

Answers to questions; No check engine warning.

I have a general purpose OBD 2 reader (cheap off ebay), not sure if I can use it with the Legnum.

I am in Swan View near Midland Perth east metro area.

Thanks

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
The guys who serviced my car got some coil packs from the wreckers for $50 for an FTO and my cars been fine ever since

Top Bottom