Need help testing faults

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Hey guys I need some help finding a few faults with my car.

does anyone in bris have a MAF or set of Coil pack I can borrow to test wat is causing my lumpy idle and bad missfire on full boost bout 4000rpm?

cheers

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
I fixed my lumpy idle with a New set of injector baskets and o-rings and a ultrasonic clean.

Not sure if that'll work for you?

And coil pack or bad plugs often cause the miss around 3500-4000, so you're on the ball there. Chances are it'll only be one of the 3 coils though.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Yeah I'm hoping its coils feels like its missing and mate said smells fuely when it misfires driving behind me. The injector seals were done bout 15000-20000km ago.
worse part is I sold my spare coil packs few months ago someone was in need :( ah well if it is coils ill have to upgrade to coil on plug earlier then expected. This lump/hunting on idle the rev gauge barely moves, was there slightly before I changed rear plugs and is deff there now. I adjusted my throttle cable a lil looser when I did them to and now my car doesn't jurk on and off the throttle quickly anymore, just slight hunt on idle. I didn't even undo any lines at throttle body just inlet elbow and I reseated that when I pit it back on (hard pipe not plastic one) and checked over every vacuum line....

MDK87

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dean
Drive
E39A VR4
Hey dude, you can borrow bits from my car to troubleshoot if you want. Text me.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Cheers mate. Borrowed coils from Andy and the missfire almost completely disappeared so ordered COP kit from Christian :D now need to sort that lumpy idle and hollow metal to metal rattle that just started when I'm driving :( not speed or rpm related but barely present unless moving gah getting it on the hoist at work Tuesday see wat I can find from underneath

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
Alright ordered COP kit and new manifold, Throttle body gaskets and seals so hopefully they will fix my issues with how she is running.

Now the problem im trying to solve is a very light hollow ting noise while its driving, its a random noise, does not speed up or slow down with vehicle speed or RPM but is only present whilst moving.
So far I have removed the exhaust and inspected, a hole in the front pipes I welded up apart from that no issues with exhaust. found a rattle from the plastic tray left side in boot sounded similar but noise still there after removing it. I also inspected over the drive line, CV's, brakes etc no issues I can tell. Drained and filtered gearbox oil no contaminants in the oil or anything so refilled with some new stuff, same with transfer case.
Its got me stumped what is causing it or if its detrimental or not so im trying not to drive it just incase.
The noise is louder between 40-80km/h still there before and after that just not as loud. car still drives fine doesn't feel any different at all.

Has anyone got any ideas? And can someone in Brisbane who knows a thing or two able to lend me a hand in trying to find the cause of the annoying little rattle? I'm guessing next step is to run her on stands at speed and try pinpoint the noise location that way.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
RATTLE IS FIX!!!! finally can drive without that annoying sound haha ended up being my left fog light bracket slightly loose flapping in the wind. tighten screw and add a bolt and noise no more. now time for cop and seals.

I that doesnt fix the lumpy idle ill still be looking for a maf to try.

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
running great now, more power then ever even scared my mate :p still have a slight lump on idle on occasions but ill do a boost leak test to pinpoint where but think its one the new throttle body seals I cocked one up when installing but still managed to get it in (couldn't reuse old ones).

now need more power :p used to it again

Top Bottom