Testing Car Stereo

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Hi guys,

This might sound like a dumb question, but is there any way of testing a car stereo BEFORE you put the thing in the car itself ?

I've got a stereo I want to put in the Grandpa & it's got MP3/CD/DVD/GPS/BLUETOOTH/TV TUNER/4.3" LCD.

Just always been curious about whether it was possible. I've been quoted only $120 to install it. Anything is better than having a NON working stereo in the car the moment...

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Just hook the thing up to the +ve and -ve terminals of your battery man. Bridge the acc+ and the 12V+ together onto the +ve terminal and the GND/-ve onto the -ve terminal.

That will prove it will turn on at least. If your keen and have speakers lying around twist a L and R one on to it as well to prove it sings.

Emu

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Wayne
Drive
1999 Galant VR4 1993 HJ V6
Brad,

Have you got a 12volt battery, fuse, speakers to connect up to? I used to do this with older car stereos not in cars to test. Wouldn't think it was any different with these new ones. As long as you've got a good earth and connections you should be fine.

But then the older ones didn't have bluetooth connectors and DVD screens...

Johny

Crunching Gears
First Name
Johny
Drive
1998 Galant 24 viento
my way is to twist the positive and remote together then connect that to the red terminal on a car battery charger and use the black one from the charger for the earth and away it goes lol

Top Bottom