Carbon fibre engine cover

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR4, Subaru B4 Legacy RS30
It looks like one of peters to me i saw his pics in the clubvr4 forum. I have been emailing the factory all morning but they are slow to respond. I will call them next week if i haven't heard back. I want one urgently also as the one from my car was shagged and they look like heat kills them over time anyway.

The ones Peter made on CVR4 used stickers for the logos, I would think that would be the easiest way - honestly I would be happy to have one plain if it fit, wasn't too expensive and was available ASAP :)

This would be ideal (except I would want red instead of blue):

I've no idea who made this (I would strongly suspect Peter), but it came from google images searching 'VR4 Carbon Engine'

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Hoods would be awesome also I love the vented evo look. Anyway lets see if they can make the covers and if they can do that well we could look at hoods also. Small parts are cheaper because I need to send then the parts and getting parts to the factory is always expensive.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
I will send you a free engine cover if you need one to make a template :)

The Borg

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
2000 face lift Legnum VR4 manual
Engine covers sound good, and Evo vents for the bonnet also. I've been looking around (not a great deal) for one that I can cut into the metal bonnet rather then a full fiberglass bonnet.

G

Unregistered
That is 1 of peters as you can see the slotted cutout in the wrong place ,I think I still have images of eters here somewhere where I can show you the imperfections, aswell as mine with the imperfections.
If photobucket will work lol
I have over 4 different Evo hood avail and can produce the vents at requestes

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
EC5W 99 and 98 (twin FLs), EC5A 96, E39A 89
sign me up for the evo bonnets or cut outs.. where is the post or link for it wanna see pics and prices please. I was thinking of just cutting my bonnet and then bending it a bit and bog and stuff. whahaha.(y).. Ow yeah if ya need an engine cover to borrow you can use mine as well.. I am in brissy.. but both mine are cracked but still intact.

The Borg

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Daniel
Drive
2000 face lift Legnum VR4 manual
That is 1 of peters as you can see the slotted cutout in the wrong place ,I think I still have images of eters here somewhere where I can show you the imperfections, aswell as mine with the imperfections.
If photobucket will work lol
I have over 4 different Evo hood avail and can produce the vents at requestes

Seconded, Pics speak a thousand words and links don't hurt either :tongue_smilie:. I wont lie I'm going to be extremely fussy about what I'll end up buying as I will be cutting up the OEM bonnet and re-wielding the supports to fit a proper functional vent system that will tap into the intake and so on. I've seen some truly fantastic jobs done and if I think the product wont look OEM using a cut in option I wont use it. As dick as that sounds I'm been honest.

G

Unregistered
That's understandable dan if our not happy with it you'll hate it so do it right first time..
what ill do is this week ill produce a vent section of the bonnets and offer them in the sale section ,anyhow don't wanna hijack thread, apologies guys

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
I heard back from them today I am not sure on prices yet but i will by a new plastic one first to use as a template. Thanks for the offer of one to use martin but i want to use a new one so the copy is perfect. In the past when i have worked with second hand parts cracks and scratchs can show in the copy and make it harder work to get right. There is enough interest so i think its worth doing right. The other good thing is that once the mold is made the product could be produced in colored carbon fibre. I will have to see how well it all works out and price and then I will be able to give more info. It would be awesome if i could get the price down lower than a OEM plastic one that's my main goal anyway.

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
Have they given you a ballpark figure on the price?

G

Unregistered
Robert if you price a new 1 being round $4-$500 thrn you'll get a feel for price.
the biggest issue in doing this project is no matter how new the cover is, you'll NOT get it lying true through molding unless you make the mold on the motor or fasten it to its correct shape to something.Peters ones were just that problem, under flex to bolt it down, I'm not dissing it at all but even my mold suffers the same fate, and knowing how much you guys like quality I did not want to use the mold anymore due to this issue.. I still have the original mold, plug and final mold aswell as a cover if you want to save time etc but again it's not easy.. Incl pulling the Matt round the corners etc..pete cut his around the funnel to get it tighter but alot of people did not like this.
ill load pics today after lunch just having issues with PB on iPad

rockit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum
Robert if you price a new 1 being round $4-$500 thrn you'll get a feel for price.

that's a hell of a lot (to me anyway).

Bruce, might be worth getting a ball-park figure on cost from the factory (possibly even with price divisions, like for 5 it would cost X each, for 20 Y each etc, so they can factor in the set-up cost as well) and then ask for EOI based on the ballpark cost rather than proceeding straight away.

If the cost is going to end up quite high your actual interest will probably drop a lot. also that people who will actually put money forward is most probably less than those who express interest! The factory may not like if a 20+ order turns into less than a handful. Especially if they have invested a lot of money into a good, working, mold and they were relying on making 20 or so to recoup those costs!

Just my 2c..

G

Unregistered
That's the exact problem with production. Most firms want a MOQ of 10-50 to even consider doing it, then 50-1000 before offering a decent or even a discount..

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Its good to have your feedback since as you have done this before. I know another place that has a different method to vacuum bagging and it would be interesting to see what they think about it also. I know with bikes part that if the mold did not have enough attention to detail then the fit was dubious in the end. All the same it would be interesting to see what they can do. The other issues of course is that often many will show interest but in the end not all people will buy as it depends on quality of the end product and perceived value. maybe we can have a chat about the ideas in Pm if you want and share some ideas about it.

the biggest issue in doing this project is no matter how new the cover is, you'll NOT get it lying true through molding unless you make the mold on the motor or fasten it to its correct shape to something.Peters ones were just that problem, under flex to bolt it down, I'm not dissing it at all but even my mold suffers the same fate, and knowing how much you guys like quality I did not want to use the mold anymore due to this issue.. I still have the original mold, plug and final mold aswell as a cover if you want to save time etc but again it's not easy.. Incl pulling the Matt round the corners etc..pete cut his around the funnel to get it tighter but alot of people did not like this.
ill load pics today after lunch just having issues with PB on iPad

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
A new OEM engine cover should cost less than $250 (for the purposes of making the mould), I'm not quite sure what the $4-500 Q is talking about is for - whether he means for a new stock cover or if it is what he expects a carbon one to cost.

G

Unregistered
New stock cover martin. WICH is what Bruce wants..
Yea Bruce by all means email me at qcustoms@xtra.co.nz and I'm happy to help you with any info, I can tell you now that at $250 a piece the interest is border lining walking away, this community moves on cost lol.. WICH is good as they will quickly let you know what they're willing to pay. Remember it's all good to produce but if it costs 400 per item then guys won't buy, if it costs 250 thrn they may but at a profit of $0 you wouldn't want to be making them ey?.its hard

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Yeah i totally agree at the end of the day if has to be a value product but also worth out time to deal with it. Its exactly the same with bike parts ;) Plus I am a tightass myself when i buys things but i don't mind paying for a quality product to get what i want. I will email you for sure it will be good to have a chat about it all. Are you based in NZ?

New stock cover martin. WICH is what Bruce wants..
Yea Bruce by all means email me at qcustoms@xtra.co.nz and I'm happy to help you with any info, I can tell you now that at $250 a piece the interest is border lining walking away, this community moves on cost lol.. WICH is good as they will quickly let you know what they're willing to pay. Remember it's all good to produce but if it costs 400 per item then guys won't buy, if it costs 250 thrn they may but at a profit of $0 you wouldn't want to be making them ey?.its hard

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
I found the OEM cover for $220aud excluding delivery here in Aussi but I havnt done a lot of shopping around yet. Price i believe would come down to volume if we order enought then it gets cheaper if we order just 5 or so it costs more its that simple. However I will ask to own the mould and see how much that costs as that can be a big factor in the process.

Top Bottom