Carbon fibre engine cover

G

Unregistered
Don't own the mold, it'll cost you more in the end lol. I make molds for things people request and I make them own the molds, you'll end up with a shitload of molds, an empty pocket and some wanna be boy racers telling you they'll pay $20 for an article lol

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR4, Subaru B4 Legacy RS30
Ok Guys I am still onto this and will be sending away the cover the see what they can do within the next week or so. It will take a bit of time so bare with me and i will update the post once I know more about how they are getting on with it.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
I will need two of these BTW; one for the car and one to cuddle at night :p

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Sorry not yet, I haven't even had time to send the cover away yet as I have been busy rebuilding my cars engine. I have a few more days work on it and then I can get back onto this project.

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Here is a picture of mine, I got from someone on the ClubV4 website, cost me $40 and yes the lettering was coming off. That was fixed with a bit of super glue then a coat of clear coat.

Attachments

• All fixed (5).jpg
    All fixed (5).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 156

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
It would still be better to have someone in Australia making a quality CF cover

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
If someone want to make these and they can ensure the safety of mine I might consider "loaning" it out

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
The real issue is that you cant ensure the safety of the cover. It get ruined when the mould is made. The other issue is that to do a really good job the cover needs to be in pristine condition. I have already purchased one for this job I just haven't had time to get onto it further. I will though as I want a really professional looking one for my own car and other have said the same thing. Ideally I want to produce and item that looks like it came of a factory floor with all the correct details on it and vents in the correct places. I have a factory ready and willing to have a try that make loads of other parts so it will be interesting to see what they can do. Its an expensive gamble but hopefully worth it.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
The stock one fits with the COP kit so it shouldn't be an issue, but I do need it to clear COP so hopefully it does...

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
I was told by a few members in clubvr4 that one of the issues with the standard cover is that its really needed to sit about 5mm or so higher. A few member recommended making sure the mounting points are a little taller than standard. I will need to ask the factory about doing that as it would make the cover much better. I also want to add COP to my car when i am feeling rich enough to do so.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
if the CF engine cover sits 5mm higher, then I think it will definitely clear the COP as I remember Rabit fitting his in :)

G

Unregistered
Just watch that it still fits under the Y pipe at the front.

G

Unregistered
Bruce as promised heres the images of the first one I ever made
null_zps6af2215a.jpg

null_zpsb411e2d1.jpg

null_zps16747e6d.jpg

null_zpsc3b29f14.jpg

null_zpsd551e2cd.jpg

null_zps2983a526.jpg

PI managed to get the weave nice but it's tight down the oil fill area as you can see
i hope this helps you with your journey, if you need a blank I still have the plug and the plug mold that I can produce from if you neneed may save you some money..
PI may look into producing some more while wife is away as ill have time up my sleeve..

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
I'm 100% interested if you do make more Q
i noticed CVR4 just did another run of them but they were $140+ post from UK,
How did your price compare?

pixelplay

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bruce
Drive
Its impressive Quinton, I haven't even had time to think about this project yet as I was to busy removing engines and putting holes in condensers :D

I am almost done now with my car and then I will be putting my belongings in storage and flying back to NZ for quite a few months. I intend to send out my cover to the factory before I fly out. It will be interesting to see what they can do as they have some impressive machines for making parts.

I must order some carbon fiber and have a bit of a play, as it looks like a great material for fabrication. I have messed about with a few things in the past but not this before so i am keen to have a go.

Regards Bruce

G

Unregistered
Alot of patience Bruce,and playing around and you can master it, but I still have long to go

Top Bottom