Changing crankshaft/camshaft seals...replace timing belt again...?

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Lancer wagon 4G93T / 1999 Legnum VR-4
Hey guys,

So I'm doing the crankshaft and camshaft seals... I need to take the timing belt off.

The belt was done at 80k, I'm now at 130k. I really don't want to spend unnecessary money at the moment, but for the labour that I will be doing, do you think the belt needs to be done? So the belt has done 50k, I'm assuming it has another 50k of life left?

Thanks,

Wes

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Wes, belts are usually done every 100k kms.. but if you've done 50k kms on it already why not just spend that extra $150 for safe keeping?!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
TBH Wes the belts are probably ok for twice what they're rated at, but their recommended replacement is 100,000kms, which will be well within the 'safe wear' range. I reckon you'd be pretty safe to wait until the car had done 200,000kms before you changed it again, but then it also depends how many years have passed in the mean-time; rubber does degrade over time as it hardens and cracks, so if you're only doing 5,000kms per year you may need to change it before 200,000kms...

Also, do you know if the tensioner and pulleys were replaced with the belt?

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
I have no idea what was done at 80000. The only record I have is "Done at 8*****ks" marked on the cambelt cover!

I know what you mean Christian...but I am reluctant spending another $150 after needing to replace radiator, silicon radiator hoses, ignition leads, crankshaft and camshaft seals... =S

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey,

I would always be careful of the ratings on Cam belts.

My father had one of the first HG GSR galants into Australia in 1989. In the 4G63 engine the DOHC cam belt was rated at 100,000KM. His was the 6th one to break below the 100,000km rating (79,000km). He got a free full engine rebuild by Mitsubishi for that, then the belts in the 4G63 were rerated to 50,000km.

Personally I would never push a cam belt past it's rating, and generally have a habit of replacing them about 10% earlier. (FYI in 1992 when the rebuild was done, it was listed at almost $4000).

You need to remember that these are not a non interference engine. A broken cam belt will see piston to valve contact.

Regards

Gavin

G

Unregistered
Yeah, many manufacturers say replace at 80 or 90 thousand. So I was initially surprised to hear 100,000 quoted here.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
It could be worse.

I believe that on some models of Holden Astra, they recommend a 50k timing belt change.

Sloth

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mike
Drive
Galant VR4, Legnum VR4
I follow a simple rule in this sort of situation - if you have to ask yourself the question "should I change......", the answer is yes.

Peace of mind
Cheap insurance
Doing the job right.

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
OK. Thanks for all the input guys. Where is the cheapest source of timing belt we can get? I know Meek stock them and the ClubVR4 get theirs from camskill... what's the best for us?

Top Bottom