Fresh auto swap not changing gears?

Biggums

97 COTY Legnum
Lifetime Member
First Name
James
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4 COTY
Hey guys after sitting for about an hour on the forums I can't see anything about it so i hope i don't get shit here for not looking properly. I've just put an auto FL box into a PFL leggy and it's not changing gears for some reason everything is all plugged in and the TCU is mint so I'm a bit perplexed as to why it's not changing gears it seems to be stuck in third. it goes into Reverse and Neutral fine as well as Park. It was working fine while it was in the car it came out of so i'm really stumped as to what could be wrong. if it helps i am using the FL TCU as well which i just plugged into where the PFL one was and all seemed fine.

Any help is appreciated my girl has been off the road for almost 5 months now and ive been working on it for a month no so i'm just over it at this point maybe Steve or one of the oldies have come across this problem?

Thanks all

Pr3tzals

Idling at the Lights
Premium Member
First Name
Fabio
Drive
1999 Legnum VR-4 (LGRZRO)
Hi Mate,

Just some quick questions to get out of the way.

Is the Neutral light also flashing on the instrument cluster when stuck in 3rd?

Able to read any error codes?

Tried disconnecting the battery for 10-20 minutes and seeing if there's any improvement? (This will mean your error codes will be cleared and your car will need to relearn the idle and gear shifting, which may be what you need.

Biggums

97 COTY Legnum
Lifetime Member
First Name
James
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4 COTY
Hi Mate,

Just some quick questions to get out of the way.

Is the Neutral light also flashing on the instrument cluster when stuck in 3rd?

Able to read any error codes?

Tried disconnecting the battery for 10-20 minutes and seeing if there's any improvement? (This will mean your error codes will be cleared and your car will need to relearn the idle and gear shifting, which may be what you need.
The only thing on the dash is the TCL light flashing which is another thing I was looking for but am at work now so can't do much digging i can try doing that tomorrow though as I am getting a new battery for it. I can't read any error codes cause I dont have a scanner or anything like that however if I dont sort it out tomorrow I'm taking it into the place I am doing my work experience and hooking it up to their scanner to see if it is anything like that also.

GLen20

Barring Up
Premium Member
First Name
Glenn
Drive
2002 Type S Galant, Ducati Streetfighter 848, 1971 2 Door LC Torana (in pieces)
Is the FL Auto one with separate speed sensor (3 pin job on the top of the box near the rear turbo) or one where it calculates speed from the input and output shafts?
Not sure if this has anything to do with it, trying to help out.
Maybe the box can't sense it's speed?

Biggums

97 COTY Legnum
Lifetime Member
First Name
James
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4 COTY
Is the FL Auto one with separate speed sensor (3 pin job on the top of the box near the rear turbo) or one where it calculates speed from the input and output shafts?
Not sure if this has anything to do with it, trying to help out.
Maybe the box can't sense it's speed?
I assumed it can sense speed cause the speedo works as I had to plug that pin in to get the speedo working. I got told not to plug that pin in as if I did the speedo wouldn't work without it.
However when I took it for the first test drive without it plugged in it didnt change gear or show the speed on the speedo so I plugged that pin in and the speedo started working. I have everything else plugged in as well but I have a feeling it may be the rest of the loom not being able to talk to the TCU properly but with all the research I've done it shouldn't be a problem

Gt_Galant

EC5A
First Name
Fred
Drive
Galant
Probably a stupid question. But you are 100% the FL gearbox was working fine before pulling out ? Did you actually test it yourself in person or someone told you it changes gear fine etc.... ?

I only ask because a few years ago I brought a gearbox (I didn't actually test it myself in person) but was told it changes fine, and after install and testing a lot of things the gearbox was stuffed (basically was told crap so I can buy and I knew the person).

Basically mine was stuck in 3rd (limp mode or whatever they call it, reverse and neutral worked)

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I assumed it can sense speed cause the speedo works as I had to plug that pin in to get the speedo working. I got told not to plug that pin in as if I did the speedo wouldn't work without it.

So you're saying you DID plug in the sensor at the back of the gearbox? - On a FL gearbox there shouldn't even be a sensor there, just a blanking plug...

What about the one at the front? is it plugged in.

When I did FL box into PFL I only plugged in the sensor on top of the gearbox.

Biggums

97 COTY Legnum
Lifetime Member
First Name
James
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4 COTY
So you're saying you DID plug in the sensor at the back of the gearbox? - On a FL gearbox there shouldn't even be a sensor there, just a blanking plug...

What about the one at the front? is it plugged in.

When I did FL box into PFL I only plugged in the sensor on top of the gearbox.
Sorry for the late reply but I've only just now been able to get back into working on my car... I'm pretty sure there were 2 connections that I plugged in from memory cause I initially only had 1 plugged in and had no speedo but plugging the second connection in fixed my problem? Maybe I've just fucked up reconnecting everything? But like I've said after the latest update to this thread I basically havent had the time or money to touch the poor girl and she has since been broken into and I've lost a fuck load of parts

djhi

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
djhi
Drive
1997 vr4 legnum
Sorry for the late reply but I've only just now been able to get back into working on my car... I'm pretty sure there were 2 connections that I plugged in from memory cause I initially only had 1 plugged in and had no speedo but plugging the second connection in fixed my problem? Maybe I've just fucked up reconnecting everything? But like I've said after the latest update to this thread I basically havent had the time or money to touch the poor girl and she has since been broken into and I've lost a fuck load of parts
seem like alot of legnums get broken into :( what did they take/?? was it legnum parts or just other stuff??

Shark VR4

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Agus
Drive
Mitsubishi Galant
Hai guys..
I need your help..

Why is my Galant wasteful of fuel? what is wrong with the engine settings?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Hai guys..
I need your help..

Why is my Galant wasteful of fuel? what is wrong with the engine settings?

welcome to ozvr4, I suggest you create your own thread and report your issues.

if it is wasteful of fuel. You will need to elaborate a bit more than that.

Top Bottom