Charging System Warning Lights

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Ok who wants to take a stab at how much it costs to re-build the Alternator and have it removed and installed.......
  • Time to uninstall without prior experience probably 3 hours.
  • Alternator disassembly - 1 hour
  • Reassembly and reinstallation - 2 hours
  • Experience - Priceless! :D

Just don't ask me what my hourly rate is and we'll all get along fine ;)

G

Unregistered
hahah, nice one.
But he said it was the Resinator?
not the brush,

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Hmm have to look that up over the weekend - no idea what money that would be! Sure its just as simple though :)

G

Unregistered
Yep i think it may have been the Regulator.....
Sorry guys im not to much of a tech head with this stuff thats why i like to pick your brains,
"Hmmmm Brains"
Cory

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Probably the rectifier. CAPS won't give me a part numer on it, though, so will be hard to chase a price for a replacement. Might be repairable though, which may be what he did (or had done, more likely).

G

Unregistered
Add mine to the list of Legnums with dead Alternators! Died on the way to work this morning...
First the Battery light came on, then the ABS light, then the TCL Off light, then the SRS light, then the slip light started to flash...then all the lights became very dim...Then the car stopped :)
A parking fine (for stopping in a clearway...Nth Sydney council are scum[my opinion only, of course]), a towtruck bill and a few cusses later, it's at the auto elec's getting rebuilt :) Good times!

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
My Battery light came on yesterday, dam it. Had an auto elcect check it over and the battery is actually charging fine. He said there must be some faulty wiring, which is possible as the insulation is brittle after all of the heat. One thing he did say is that it is a computer controlled alternater and does not have an internal regulator. Don't know much about regulators but he said a computer controls the voltage inplace of a regulator. Maybe a difference with a FL?

G

Unregistered
Mine failed a couple of weeks ago, i was just about to park in Ikea in Richmond, so lucky there is a kmart there, bought a battery and a couple of shit terminals and got it going in the car park.

Cost me $550 to get it replaced with a change over one, got it done at a Chaddy Mitsi though so the labour rate was a bit shit. Going to take my car to Techsports from now on

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
the charging output is computer controlled, but it still has a regulator in the alt, thats what went in mine, i was worried, as everything else was fine , but i could n't test the reg, as it was computer controlled....don't ask me why, hardly any cars have a computer controlled alt....somehing to brag about at the pub i spose...lol...oh and it fixed my car, $132.00 genuine mitsi...

2000VR-4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jason
Drive
1988 Magna (Daily) 1975 GC Galant hardtop (W/End car) 1972 GS Galant hardtop, 1973 Galant GTO X-II, 1978 Galant (Scorpion) hardtop
mine was $350 to get it rebuilt, new barings, brushes and reg. I installed it myself.
Check the guide in the guides section, oddly enough :)

Fred

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Fred
Drive
1998 Legnum VR-4 & 1999 Legnum VR-4 w. Recaros
mine was $250, new reg and bearings, i removed and replaced it myself, and billed the dealer for warranty, incl 6 hrs labour for me...sort of wasn't bad thing to happen...lol

Top Bottom