Grey_Ghost

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
1997 Trigger PFL Manual Legnum.
Hey.

What's good currently in head units that support Android Auto? I'm not going the Gold-Plated solution, but I'm replacing a dead ICE system in the car.

It'll be paired to my Blackberry Priv for the next 17 months, and we'll figure out what beyond then.

CodeMenma

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Malcolm
Drive
Galant VR4 V-series
Hey mate.
Check out Xtrons headunits.
Alot of the newer ones run android 5 or higher, and with the help of Assistant.Ai app from google play, its actually capable of more customizing than Android Auto.
Im thinking of getting one in the coming months to upgrade from stock, as i cant stand listening to the radio 24/7, but i myself cant vouch for quality. Definitely affrodable, pretty, functional etc.
They also have a pretty huge range of random junk that can all talk to each other, pretty much ease of use stuff.

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
Android Auto is going to (apparently) be released directly on phones by the end of the year. This was stated in May though and I haven't seen an update to this yet. It's possible the car and head unit industry pressured them to back out of their decision.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11698274/android-auto-app-update-phone-dash-google-io-2016

Summary: No head unit will be required to use Android Auto.

Alternatively you can already use "Automate Car Dashboard". It looks like Android Auto and works directly on your phone. I have had less than stellar results with it but I am very picky.

Darkhorse

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Doug
Drive
Legnum
I have used 2 china android head units in my car, and the one I have currently is close to perfect.

If you are keen on flashing the firmware with a custom ROM, you need to do your research on XDA forums to ensure the unit you purchase is actually flashable. You will want something that has been shown to work with the Malaysk ROM, which is available in android 4.4 and 5.1

Also make sure you get something with a volume knob. A flat panel touch screen looks nice but try operating it while driving, its lame. My first android head unit was like this and it sucked donkey balls.

The one I have now is from autopumpkin, purchased via ebay. I am running the stock firmware and it does everything I need and want, the only gripe with this unit and it may be specific to my actual unit, is that occasionally the volume knob stops working and I have to reset the thing to fix it.

http://www.autopumpkin.com/car-dvd-...s-navigation-system-support-3g-wifi-obd2.html

The other brand I would mention is Joying. They are favored over at XDA and the 5.1 units use the MTCD chip which is the latest 5.1 flashable goodness. The andoid 4.4 units from Joying are MTCB which is the 4.5 flashable goodness. There are a few with a jumped up MTCB which has been beefed to enable andoid 5.1 but its not quite a full MTCD and so will not accept the 5.1 flashable goodness. These are MTCCs and this is what mine has. Can be flashed with 4.4 custom ROM if desired.

Some pics in my album for Lara the Legham here of my old and new units. The old one also didnt fit nice, it had a couple of mm gap around the border of the hole in the center console. Current one fits snug as a something in a somebody

https://imgur.com/a/UroR6

I spent a ton of time looking into the various options so if you got any questions about android head units hit me up

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
I spent a ton of time looking into the various options so if you got any questions about android head units hit me up

Oh man you sure you want me to do that to you?

G

Unregistered
I'm a big fan of these particular ones - https://www.eonon.com - I've had 4 of them to date, and by that I mean in 4 separate vehicles not because they keep failing haha!

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
In my particular case I'm not specifically wanting an Android head unit. I have the apps I want - they're on my phone. I want to press one button and make my phone listen to me. My own list of requirements is fairly short:
  1. Be able to press one button to make my phone listen to me for voice commands; then
  2. Tell my phone to navigate me somewhere
  3. Tell my phone to play me some specific music
  4. Be able to perform any combination of items 1, 2, and 3 no matter what my phone is currently doing
For example, even without Android Auto or AutoMate my phone is *almost* perfect except I can't make it listen to me to play music if it is already navigating in Google Maps.

Darkhorse

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Doug
Drive
Legnum
I never bothered much with the voice commands stuff, but if you bluetooth your phone to your headunit it should let you do voice dialling. Not sure about the voice navigation good luck with that

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
I never bothered much with the voice commands stuff, but if you bluetooth your phone to your headunit it should let you do voice dialling. Not sure about the voice navigation good luck with that
Oh I do voice dialling and stuff all the time. It's the Google Now ("OK Google") stuff that I need to be more consistent.

Darkhorse

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Doug
Drive
Legnum
OK so, you can install that shit on android right, so you could install it on your android head unit and presumably talk to it and ask big brother what your wife is wearing and what shes cooking for dinner. In theory

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
I too have been looking at upgrading my head unit.. Well in the new car anyway.. my old was a single din Kenwood unit, had USB and Aux ports.. was pretty happy..Wanting to have GPS navigation, reverse camera.. plus the ability to run a sub woofer, so RCA pre-outs are a must.
Found this one with express shipping... looks to be a good fit with about 1mm all around the factory fascia.

Will probably hook it all up on my wreck so it'll be a fast swap over when the new car arrives.
ATM just sorting out what wire does what and seeing if I can simply purchase an ISO adapter harness instead of doing the old school way!

Nice unit with a great list of features...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201596491693?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
These come with an ISO plug so all you need is the Aeropro Mitsubishi to ISO adaptor. SuperRepcoBarnBay will have what you need, around about $20.

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive

Attachments

• Mitsubishi-Wiring.pdf
    21.3 KB · Views: 4

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
Got confirmation from those in the know that Google is going to release their Android Auto version that does not required a head unit soon. That's as detailed as the info got, but it's from people who are in contact with the dev teams.

Darkhorse

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Doug
Drive
Legnum
dude you ordered one of those? with this?

Resolution: 800*480(WVGA)

cancel that order immediately IMO, thats some out of date tech right there.

its not even android! dude wtf

Re: ISO plug, they all pretty much have that shit, the repco adapter makes installation a snap.

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
lol, tell me what you really think hahaha
most car systems these days as in factory fitted run 800x400...

Its ok, for the price ($277 delivered) I'm happy to give it a shot. It's not like I'm watching Hi-Def movies... it has the features I like plus it'll run my sub.
Bluetooth etc.

I'm not after some super hi def sound quality either... my budget won't allow for it.

If it totally sucks I'll be the first to admit it.

Hoppo

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Josh
Drive
VR4TYPE-S
I know this isn't what you're after but heres an android TABLET im running. The glare is my only downpoint at the moment, yet to try any reducing film. An app is also set for when the tablet senses charge "Ignition on" the tablet comes back from sleep mode and starts playing music. Opposite terms for when no charge is sensed "Ignition off"

Music, volume controlled via inline rca controller before amp.

3SSuA6f.jpg

No sim slot but wifi is available if you hotspot your phone over.

oy9ck7t.jpg

Google maps, most ideal navigation there is. Wifi needed although, ive been hearing maps may be heading completely offline soon!

zFCwBLp.jpg

Tablet and controller/cables around $120.

Top Bottom