Clutch job, flywheel questions

Taylor

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Taylor
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Haha diff? Shit I can have that out in 15 min mate. 2 22mm bolts 6 17mm bolts 4 12mm bolts on propshaft done! haha, Ayc it a bit tricker tho, one of those explod-a-matic diffs is never going near my car again though haha

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
I just dropped the box on it's own but I was saying I'd recommend dropping the motor it'd seem alot easier. But sounds like Taylor has more experience than me.

After all that looks like this clutch is a dud and I'm going to have to do it all again, dooooh. It was a custom made heavy duty clutch originally for a 380 it had an issue so came out, it was fixed/re-machined and then I obtained it and after getting it all back in it has the exact same problem, very shuddery pick up. Last time was due to a bit of metal stuck in one of the spring fingers causing about half the clutch plate to actaully take up properly and ended up shattering the clutch disc after 2,000Ks. Not sure precisely what is up thsi time, bit of a piss off. :/ At least I have much more experience how it all goes now. But not looking forward to the labour time again, maybe I'll pay someone this time :/

I also managed to strip out two bolts of their threads from the gearbox, so stupid on both of them, first was the very bottom most gearbox<=>engine bolt, torqued it up to spec (49Nm) and later was checking them all and it was just plain loose, pulled it out, alloy thread all up the bolt. Second was one of the bolts holding the shifter assembly in, put absolutely 0 pressure on it was just starting to get tight and it let go. Can't help but wonder if both had been jammed hard in a previous job.

Need to get someone to helicoil or similar those for me this week before just ordering probably a 7223 HD and doing the whole lot all over again, fun fun...

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
You can Drop the motor and box out at once without losing the sub frame, it is alot easier to get the transfercase bolts off on the ground

Ah, so if you remove the radiator you have enough room to swing the whole thing forward and bypass the Kframe?

I see a 2-post hoist and a couple tranny jacks in my future

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
You can Drop the motor and box out at once without losing the sub frame, it is alot easier to get the transfercase bolts off on the ground

Ah, so if you remove the radiator you have enough room to swing the whole thing forward and bypass the Kframe?

I see a 2-post hoist and a couple tranny jacks in my future

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
Haha diff? Shit I can have that out in 15 min mate. 2 22mm bolts 6 17mm bolts 4 12mm bolts on propshaft done! haha, Ayc it a bit tricker tho, one of those explod-a-matic diffs is never going near my car again though haha

Lol yeh I did my diff took me bout an hour to get out, that is first time, hand tools only and a 2 beers though. Looks like she's going on a 2 poster at work, at least If I do it this time I knOw a good quality job with the correct parts are being fitted. Looks time to purchase a rear main too

That sucks Trent but I guess at least you know where you're heading and have done it once before now:)

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
As an update to the above, had a new 7420HD Exedy kit fitted, with nick mann evo flywheel conversion and evo 7-9 flywheel.. works a treat but the clutch pedal is VERY stiff.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I thought I'd as this here as its a question relevant to this thread.

Has anyone on here got their OEM flywheel lightened? What are peoples experiences or opinions?

shaqdaddy91

Crunching Gears
First Name
Shanil
Drive
98 Vr4 Galant
I'm having a look into custom flywheels, would anyone be able to tell me the bolt pattern/number of bolts on the OEM flywheel?

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Bolt pattern is the same as an evo but the offset is different.

Pattern is NOT the same as a 380, which has either 1 less or more bolt than an evo. I forget which has 7 and which has 8.

they are also in a weird staggered pattern.

BCX

Administrator
Premium Member
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
6g74 has same bolt pattern as 6a13 cos magna guys fit 7223HD kit as it's larger than OEM (slight modication of flywheel on magna is needed, but bolt pattern is same)

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Crap it's too early in the morning.. I meant to say 380.. editing post.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
Also check ClubVR4 for the flywheel convertors. Lets you use any evo flywheel.

I would not recommend a lightened evo flywheel though (as many aftermarket ones are) because the evo flywheel is quite a bit lighter than VR4 one already. I have the nick mann convertor + standard evo 7 flywheel on my car with the Exedy Organic HD kit.

Works well but the pedal is damn stiff :-P

BCX

Administrator
Premium Member
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
Good to know that... i assumed the 6g75 would have been the same... but i guess not.

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
An irritating assumption to discover incorrect at 11PM on a Saturday when you are starting the reassembly phase of a clutch job *laughs*

shaqdaddy91

Crunching Gears
First Name
Shanil
Drive
98 Vr4 Galant
oh ok, cause I contacted direct clutch and they have a lightened flywheel for our cars but he said theres a difference with a 6 bolt one and the 7 bolt one, he said let me know which one you need. I was like yeahhh ok. I'm lead to believe that ours is a 7 bolt flywheel, but not 100% sure aye.

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 VR4 FL Legnum w recaro and momo
Just a quick question, I'm going to get an exedy heavy duty clutch for the legnum i just bought as they've always been reliable and work like a swiss clock. Is is safe to say the flywheel is ok to get machined (car has done 118,000) or will i have to buy a new one? also is it a dual mass or single mass flywheel?

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
It's single mass and machining will be fine unless there's something serious wrong i.e. cracks or below minimum thickness/height. I went with a 7223HD at ~105000km and flywheel only needed a skim.

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 VR4 FL Legnum w recaro and momo
Cheers mate, any idea how long doing the clutch takes? Mate of mine said its about a 7 hour job due to the AWD system.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Cheers mate, any idea how long doing the clutch takes? Mate of mine said its about a 7 hour job due to the AWD system.

about that, depends on the mechanic. a lot of stuff has to come out

Top Bottom