Clutch Release Bearing..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
hey fellas.. just wondering if the clutch release bearing from an EVO 7-9 (regardless of 5 or 6 gear) will fit into our car? or specifically to MBK7223HD.. reason i ask.. i hear abit of whine when i take my foot off the clutch pedal...

for example.. click here

7701_1.jpg

G

Unregistered
that will be gearbox bearing starting to go, most likely the input shaft one,

theres no pressure on the clutch release bearing when your foot is off the clutch,
it would make noise when you put pressure on it when you use the clutch

and yeah that part will fit no probs,
but sill have to take the gearbox off to change it

G

Unregistered
BTW thats a rip!!

there only about $40 for a NTN item, from your local parts place

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
do we have the NTN part number listed in the parts guide? :) if not, does anyone know what it is?!

also with the whiney sound its makeing.. its sorta on and off.. at times its there and at times its not.. also it goes on and off while half pressing the clutch pedal or releasing it..

G

Unregistered
yep, NTN is a bearing manufacturer

umm as for the part number NFI!
i may have it at my parents, will pop up and look tomorrow

when was the last time the gear oil was changed? and what did you use?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
oil was changed around 20k km's ago.. also i did it twice since the first oil i used was 80w90 GL-4.. I thought it would've been ok.. but changing gears were very hard.. so i changed it to the Castrol VMX-M (75w85 GL-4)

G

Unregistered
what kms has you car done?

im sticking with the gearbox bearings,

most of the vr4s that have had the input shaft bearing go was around the 110-120thou km mark,

either way box has to come out to change either.

a silly quesion (maybe?)

have you checked there plenty of lube one the clutch pedal pivot point?

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
i got the same problem naughtika and yesterday for the first time after hitting boost in third gear she slipped big time. had the car nearly 4 weeks now and since i had it especially in the cold mornings but generally just after ive started the engine and taken off ive heard the same noise that you mentioned a roughish whine, so are bearing kits for the clutches available on our engines???

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Carsten just to answer your questions :)

what kms has you car done - sadly it's done 120,000 kms

im sticking with the gearbox bearings,

most of the vr4s that have had the input shaft bearing go was around the 110-120thou km mark, - I've serviced the car (gearbox twice cause of wrong oil and the transfer case 15,000 kms ago

either way box has to come out to change either. - sadly if it is the culprit, it's gonna be a pain in my pocket - but i'll get it done while the clutch is out as well

a silly quesion (maybe?)

have you checked there plenty of lube one the clutch pedal pivot point? - checked this about 3-4 months ago and yes it's got enough lube in there..

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Yea mine wasn't especially cheap (like $150 or something stupid) and then I found one comes as part of the clutch kit I got anyway, so I ended up with a spare :banghead:

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
christian has it been doing it for a while? mine makes a noise.... kinda sounds like a belt i thought - but ive since had everything tightened and its no different.
Id like to check its the same sound im getting - as my sound started when i GOT the clutch (and had the timing belt changed at the same time) and seeing as we have the same clutch... from the same place... id like to see if its the same sound :D

Top Bottom