Cold Start Issues

Miles Anderson

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Miles
Drive
96 Legnum Vr4 Manual
Hey guys,

Just bought a new legnum (yay) but have noticed that the cold start is bloody awful, anywhere between 10-15 seconds of the car choking and struggling (Please see video attached).

Wondering what this may be? I know a broad question, I've had a scan tool run over it and no errors. It does have a small battery (430cca) but I have been told that is sufficient.

I feel like the way I have to start it will destroy the starter motor which I know will be a baddd time.

Any advice of what to check would be appreciated. My mechanic up here hasn't had much to do with the VR4 engines so has only done basic troubleshooting.

It's a 96 Preface lift, 2.5 twin turbo

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
This is something different, mine was starting straight away but couldnt keep idle. This one doesnt wanna start at all :/

But any way, to solve my problem Ive just put one way valve on fuel hose to keep pressure inside fuel rails, it helped a lot but I have shitty valve and waiting for proper one and then Ill do guide "how to" ;)

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Yeah, sorry @MatiLP640, couldn't view the video on my phone, this is very odd... Usually they fire then die, but this is different isnt it...

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Yea, totally different, looks like starter for me, just slowly dying. I can be wrong tho... Any way, it drives normally? No power loss or wierd things? Also, when is hot starts without problems?

Miles Anderson

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Miles
Drive
96 Legnum Vr4 Manual
Hey Guys,

@MatiLP640 the starter was done recently oddly enough...before I bought it, but it looks brand new. I know the battery and the terminals are tiny but I doubt it's causing that...

@Size1 I have no idea, I will need to do an oil change soon just in case, What do you guys usually put in? Penrite 10-40?

MatiLP640

5W4G0N
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1999 Black Legnum VR4
Yea, I run Penrite 10 tenths 10-W40 ;) and starter was just quick guess. But I ask again, what about starts on hot engine? Is all good?

Kaldek

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Ed
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Manual, Ford Territory family runabout, BMW K1300R.
I'd be interested what your voltage is dropping to when it's cranking. Could be the volts are getting so low that the ECU can't drive the coils or injectors.

However this is EASILY tested. Jump start it. If the car starts fine when being jump started from cold you know immediately if it's your battery.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Could be the fuel pump on the way out, I tried to start my car today forgetting that I had unplugged the pump, sounded just like that.

Miles Anderson

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Miles
Drive
96 Legnum Vr4 Manual
Hey all,

@MatiLP640 It's fine on hot start, it has one small choke and then kicks in. Also in QLD, so even now it's not that cold (thank god)

@Kaldek - I also tried this over the weekend jumping off my forester with a 600cca battery and it was the same issue, with brand new jump cables, as much as I wish it was the battery I'm becoming skeptical, but I do want to upgrade the terminals and battery asap.

@pretzil - That is the next port of call after getting a boost leak test done.

The joys of buying a 2nd hand car right? ha!

Thanks for all of your suggestions so far guys, hopefully my mechanic now has a place to start to look

Top Bottom