Cold start problem

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
About 3 weeks ago the car developed an odd problem only on cold starts. It kicks over fine, first go as always, but after it fires up the revs drop and it coughs and splutters for 1 maybe 2 seconds, then it rights itself and idles fine. If I give the throttle a jab as it fires, it won't do it.

After it's done this little dance it will idle perfectly and if it's a warm start it won't do it at all. It's not a massive problem at this point, but obviously something is not quite right.

Any ideas? What sort of setup does the 6A use for cold starts?

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Not sure if this is relevant but in my lancer had a problem with cold starts and it turned out to be a plastic sprocket on the throttle control that acts like a choke when starting cold. The teeth had all worn of in one spot. It developed slowly but had similar results. I assume most EFI cars would use a similar setup for cold starts. It wasn't a cheap fix either $400 for Mitsubishi one $250 for non mitsu.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
^^ What Carsten said - your idle stepper motor controls this function, its either dirty (usual culprit) or needs replacement.

G

Unregistered
its this thing, (some times it black instead of brown)

just below the throtal body,

take it out, give a clean with some brake clean spary and a soft brush

Attachments

• DSC02140(Medium) (Small).JPG
    DSC02140(Medium) (Small).JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 193

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
its this thing, (some times it black instead of brown)
just below the throtal body,
take it out, give a clean with some brake clean spary and a soft brush

Nice one. Thanks Gly & S.A, that should be nice & easy to sort out.

Cheers for the reference pic too. :bigsmile:

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
Thanks for the thread guys, just dismantled mine and cleaned it. Fixed the symptoms in the first post.

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
02 vr4 galant, 92 vr4, 85 starion
I had similar problem with cold starts as well, so i had my mechanic test everything and everything was fine, so i cleaned the stepper motor and now the car is idling at 700rpms instead of 600rpms and in park it sits at 850-900rpms! is this ok i didint touch anything else? whats the best idle in drive and in Park??? Checked plugs and they were fine:/ Should i just reset the ecu?? cheers for any feed back guys:)

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
the weird thing is my leggy has started doing the things said in the first post as well..exact symptons..i'll get a someone to clean the stepper motor and see if it fixes the problem and report back...

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
the weird thing is my leggy has started doing the things said in the first post as well..exact symptons..i'll get a someone to clean the stepper motor and see if it fixes the problem and report back...

I also have an idle stepper motor too in my garage dude... oh wait yours is a FL right?
It's the one like in Gly's pic above. I'm told it's for PFL only though..

Danners

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
99 Galant VR4 Series 2
Thanks for the thread guys, just dismantled mine and cleaned it. Fixed the symptoms in the first post.

I never bothered updating this... mine started first time after the clean, but then the next morning was back to its old tricks again. I'm going to need to buy a replacement from that Camkill place i'm guessing. Mine's a facelift.

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Thanks Brad but yes mine is a FL..

I never bothered updating this... mine started first time after the clean, but then the next morning was back to its old tricks again. I'm going to need to buy a replacement from that Camkill place i'm guessing. Mine's a facelift.

you think this one will fit our cars??

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
02 vr4 galant, 92 vr4, 85 starion
When i cleaned mine out the base idle went from 600rpm to 700rpms and in park it went from 750rpms to 850rpms, and had the stepper motor tested and its working fine so maybe its because i cleaned some carbon off it. Does this seem right??

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Well this problem persisted for a few more days after i posted above and now its just disappeared..back to its brilliant oldself...

junior

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
2000 Type S Legnum
Hi all, sorry to drag up this old thread but my car is suffering from the symptoms stated in the first post. I have pulled the stepper out and cleaned it and although is made some difference its not what it used to be like. Is there anything else I can try or am I up for a new one. If I do need a new one does anyone have the part number and the $ of them.

Gary

legnum600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jason s
Drive
2000 legnum
Well i will have to clean my stepper motor as well, as i have had the cold start problem.o_O

Top Bottom